The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk XIV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jean-Luc Picard
:hugs: what happened?

you'd be surprised! I didn't think I'd fit in at Uni either, but when I went I quickly found people who I fitted in with :smile: for me it was through my politics but am sure you will find something too, societies and groups are a great way to meet people you will fit in with for one!

Original post by tasha96
Heya. :wavey: I dont have any suggestions but I have the same problem and wanted to give it a bump. :colondollar: Shakey high five. :five: :awesome: :tongue:

Whats happened chook? :frown: :hugs: On facebook if you need.

not in the mood for talking but thanks
Original post by GEEKHELP
do any of you guys take medication for depression? and if you do does it really help? I mean it's hard to see depression as curable by an type of medication tbh, it's also a state of our own minds...? x

i think antidepressants are more a keeping you on top of things rather than curring you.

Original post by .snowflake.
YEAH. All the coolest people in here take sertraline.
Mine's for panic disorder, but does naff all to help with the frequency/ length of my panic attacks. Works beautifully on my mood though. Does mean I can get out of bed much easier than I did pre-meds tbh.

sertraline is one i wont ever get to try :sad:
been on fluoxetine, citalopram so my dr said theres no point in trying other SSRIs as they clearly dont help
Original post by ScaryScience
mental health services have ruined me.

:lovehug:
Original post by furryface12

Hey :wavey: I have ME/CFS if you want to ask me anything about that :smile:

Hey! :biggrin:

There's not really much I need to know about it anymore, I'm just wondering if it can bring on depression, which I've heard it can, and I can easily believe, I hate feeling unable to do anything all the time...

I just wish it would go away :frown:
Original post by PandaWho
i think antidepressants are more a keeping you on top of things rather than curring you.

been on fluoxetine, citalopram so my dr said theres no point in trying other SSRIs as they clearly dont help

yeah I mean the medication obviously cannot cure depression unfortunately but im wondering what it actually does in that case?
yeah I mean the medication obviously cannot cure depression unfortunately but im wondering what it actually does in that case?

Takes the edge off things so that you can try and go about your daily life without being bedridden due to depression (in my case, at least :colondollar: ) :yep:

for me it keeps me above crisis point. if i wasnt on medication id be a mess, id be very ill with my depression, id be unsafe, and well who knows what would happen.
Original post by Tibbz2
Hey! :biggrin:

There's not really much I need to know about it anymore, I'm just wondering if it can bring on depression, which I've heard it can, and I can easily believe, I hate feeling unable to do anything all the time...

I just wish it would go away :frown:

Fairly sure they can be related, certainly for me they are although not been officially diagnosed with depression as my doctor keeps going on holiday/I keep chickening out of talking about MH stuff when I do make myself go (a and he said it was very likely, but yeah) :colondollar: Yeah, I know that feeling, that or I just make myself do things and then regret it later or the day after :frown: School was horrible with it! :hugs:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ScaryScience
not in the mood for talking but thanks

huge hugs then hun :hugs: :jumphug: if you do feel able to talk thread is always here as well :smile:
Original post by furryface12
Fairly sure they can be related, certainly for me they are although not been officially diagnosed with depression as my doctor keeps going on holiday/I keep chickening out of talking about MH stuff when I do make myself go (a and he said it was very likely, but yeah) :colondollar: Yeah, I know that feeling, that or I just make myself do things and then regret it later or the day after :frown: School was horrible with it! :hugs:

School is actually my favourite part of the day now, it's the only time I'm surrounded by friends and actually can have a laugh and it really takes my mind off things, even if im feeling crap!

When I'm at home in my room alone is the worst :frown:
Original post by Tibbz2
School is actually my favourite part of the day now, it's the only time I'm surrounded by friends and actually can have a laugh and it really takes my mind off things, even if im feeling crap!

When I'm at home in my room alone is the worst :frown:

True, I couldn't manage it with CFS at all though! I missed a lot of it, and when I was there I couldn't focus on what was going on or take anything in- if you look at my notes from last year they're completely incoherent mostly :s-smilie: Exams were even worse, I should have just stopped while I had the chance as I was told to, but hey, that's me for you :colondollar:

generally you try 2 SSRIs, and if they don't work, then you try other stuff.

it essentially stops your brain from breaking the serotonin in your brain down. and as a consequence, gives you the kick up the arse you need to get out of bed, open the curtains, have a shower and get dressed, without taking 3 hours to do it.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Takes the edge off things so that you can try and go about your daily life without being bedridden due to depression (in my case, at least :colondollar: ) :yep:

for me it keeps me above crisis point. if i wasnt on medication id be a mess, id be very ill with my depression, id be unsafe, and well who knows what would happen.

so did you guys go to the NHS hospital after your GP reffered you to see a psychiatrist? and then they give you the meds? and is counseling mandatory?
Going to the doctors tomorrow, hopefully they'll refer me to a psychiatrist or something. I'm writing a list of "symptoms" or whatever cause my anxiety makes me completely socially inept to talk to people about things like MH issues.
so did you guys go to the NHS hospital after your GP reffered you to see a psychiatrist? and then they give you the meds? and is counseling mandatory?

I was given SSRIs without a psychiatric referal. Counselling isn't something you HAVE to accept.
Original post by SweetNothing
Going to the doctors tomorrow, hopefully they'll refer me to a psychiatrist or something. I'm writing a list of "symptoms" or whatever cause my anxiety makes me completely socially inept to talk to people about things like MH issues.

good luck! hopefully they sort something out for you, writing things down sounds like a good plan :smile:
Original post by .snowflake.
generally you try 2 SSRIs, and if they don't work, then you try other stuff.

yeah, there trying me on an added dose of my antipsychotic (because a small dose helps depression) if that works, to try harder antidepressants.

i went to my dr first who said i had depression and prescribed me an antidepressant. since then i have seen a few different drs (moved) and when i got very ill mentally my dr reffered me for a mental health assessment, and from that a psych prescribed me new medication.

generally your GP will be the prescribing person unless your ill enough to warrant a psych and such
Original post by Jean-Luc Picard
good luck! hopefully they sort something out for you, writing things down sounds like a good plan :smile:

Thank you! I hope they sort something out for me too :tongue:
yeah, there trying me on an added dose of my antipsychotic (because a small dose helps depression) if that works, to try harder antidepressants.

i went to my dr first who said i had depression and prescribed me an antidepressant. since then i have seen a few different drs (moved) and when i got very ill mentally my dr reffered me for a mental health assessment, and from that a psych prescribed me new medication.

generally your GP will be the prescribing person unless your ill enough to warrant a psych and such

thanks to everyone who replied :smile: your answers are invaluable because I am genuinely scared about the medication and counseling. I am looking for a career in healthcare science and I don't want my medical records to hinder me in any way. I know most jobs do not look at those records but I have seen some where they ask your GP to say you are ok etc. But my health should come first right?:smile:
Original post by SweetNothing
Thank you! I hope they sort something out for me too :tongue:

they should at least try if you specifically ask for something!

Latest