The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arkasia
A*A*A wtaf...

lul xD one of the best physics departments in the country so they gotta be demanding

Original post by Magnus Taylor
Where do you intend to study abroad?:tongue:

l'université de pierre et Marie Curie, Paris :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh at Warwick they aren't seperate you choose! I think anyway :redface:

Ah ok, it was separate at Exeter I think :smile:
Original post by rachelc142
lul xD one of the best physics departments in the country so they gotta be demanding

l'université de pierre et Marie Curie, Paris :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow you seem sorted, I'm still deciding over China with Mandarin or Latin America with spanish. Do you think a year abroad is enough to get to A level standard in a language?
Wow you seem sorted, I'm still deciding over China with Mandarin or Latin America with spanish. Do you think a year abroad is enough to get to A level standard in a language?

I made my firm and insurance choices solely based on the French exchanges they offered!
I think if you are studying in that language then god yeah? you'd be fluent within 3/4 months
however learning in your mother tongue and just living there would maybe take longer.
mandarin would be tricky solely because of the alphabet !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I made my firm and insurance choices solely based on the French exchanges they offered!
I think if you are studying in that language then god yeah? you'd be fluent within 3/4 months
however learning in your mother tongue and just living there would maybe take longer.
mandarin would be tricky solely because of the alphabet !!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice! Where have you firmed? I'm guessing Cambridge?:wink:
Yep!! gotta do a few physics lecture a week in french as prep for my year study abroad

:eek:
Original post by cerlohee
Oh lol. Why?

Too much work to do!Didn't even finish the syllabus and my exams start next month(18th)
Been studying for a lot of hours!
So who's firming Warwick on here?I got an offer for Economics!
Nice! Where have you firmed? I'm guessing Cambridge?:wink:

lol no I didn't even get an interview
manchester !!!

I am terrified and excited ngl

Posted from TSR Mobile

From some of the maths videos in Spanish and French that I've watched it's not impossible, but I'd already learnt the techniques in English.
manchester !!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Omg haha I thought because my friend has an offer A*A*A it would be Cambridge :tongue:. You certainly seemed capable :wink:
Anyone considering learning a language at uni?

If things go to plan I'm doing Spanish, German and translation studies!
Panicking reading posts by people claiming to do 10 hours of revision a day :confused:

Native Chinese (Mandarin) speaker here. If you spoke as much Mandarin as possible during that year then probably yes, but writing and reading are a pain. Depends on how much you actually use the language, you need to be disciplined and use it as much as you can, practice makes perfect obviously. I don't know what A level standard is but I'd say you'd be semisemi fluent at the end of a year, maybe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by O133
From some of the maths videos in Spanish and French that I've watched it's not impossible, but I'd already learnt the techniques in English.

I think it will just be a lot of hard work tbh but fully prepared to work my ass off

Omg haha I thought because my friend has an offer A*A*A it would be Cambridge :tongue:. You certainly seemed capable :wink:

haha aw thanks that actually means a lot
hope so :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile
manchester !!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't envy you at all, Physics in English is enough. I'm struggling with this politics/equality stuff in Advanced Higher French already.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe the year in Latin America would be more suitable :tongue:
Maybe the year in Latin America would be more suitable :tongue:

Depends on what you wanna do, but I think being able to speak Mandarin is/will be incredibly helpful for your potential career..? :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bude8
Depends on what you wanna do, but I think being able to speak Mandarin is/will be incredibly helpful for your potential career..? :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It partly stems from career prospects but also because I'm half Chinese and can't speak Mandarin or Cantonese though my mum is Cantonese herself. I just want to learn so I can interact with both sides of my ethnicity
Anyone considering learning a language at uni?

I'm currently doing GCSE italian alongside my Alevels, although I like it, I much prefer Spanish so I think I'll either re-takeup Spanish or maybe try something new like German since I have no clue about it haha :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest