The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

The LSU Societies thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by LivingHistory
if you need somewhere safe and legal to fly, check out the Hot Air Ballooning society, they should have all that figured already =]

Thanks! I'll talk to them too
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 21
Original post by LSUFever
Also Gliding should be able to help there. I have a feeling there is an AU Sailing club already, but I don't know much about it.

Yep, I've looked into the sailng club and I'm definitely joining that one! Gliding club could be a good one to talk to, thanks!
Reply 22
I'm looking forwards to joining Velocity and the Real Ale Society. I think there may inevitably be some drinking involved in the latter. :smile:
Reply 23
Are there any girls looking to play cricket for the first time? :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by 60065
I'm looking forwards to joining Velocity and the Real Ale Society. I think there may inevitably be some drinking involved in the latter. :smile:

I'm a member of Real Ale as well and they're some quality people who know a thing or two about good beer :tongue: it might be worth messaging that JohnCooper chap up the top of this thread about Velocity.

Original post by loren12

If you fancy your chances you could go straight for the AU team and see what happens! Otherwise, Societies has a subsection called SocSports which organises inter-society and recreational sports, and IMS (Intra-Mural Sports) are inter-Hall competitions. I can investigate recreational sports a little more for you, but it might take a few days because of the bank holiday weekend.
Original post by 60065

Real Ale also do a lot of home brew! tis thanks to them I have a gallon of mead brewing xD You should also know that pretty much every member of real ale is also a member of RockSoc, another fantastic society!
So you've seen this post, you've seen the union society list online (very dull I know), but you still want to know more. You want to meet people from a few societies, ask things first hand, get round all 70+ societies in one afternoon...? Well it just so happens there is an event for you!

SOCIETIES BAZAAR!

That's right ladies and gents, on Sunday 5th of October, the day after Freshers' Ball, the Union will be transformed into a exhibition centre for every society here! This will be your one and only opportunity of the year to have a taste of every society under one roof, to go round and meet the sort of folk that make up Societies, to see what's for you and what's not. If you find anything here interesting, this event is certainly not to be missed! There should (TBC), be the opportunity to sign up then and there at the union reception.

If 11ft spears, swords, chain mail, and/or hand made tunics are your thing, then be sure to check out the Living History stall; there might even be a full combat display if you are lucky enough to be there...
Reply 27
I'm a member of Real Ale as well and they're some quality people who know a thing or two about good beer :tongue: it might be worth messaging that JohnCooper chap up the top of this thread about Velocity.

If you fancy your chances you could go straight for the AU team and see what happens! Otherwise, Societies has a subsection called SocSports which organises inter-society and recreational sports, and IMS (Intra-Mural Sports) are inter-Hall competitions. I can investigate recreational sports a little more for you, but it might take a few days because of the bank holiday weekend.

That would be great! Thank you!
Reply 28
Hi what does the Loughborough Challenge Society entail, it sounds interesting 😊. Also how easy is it to set up a society of your own?

Posted from TSR Mobile
As far as I am awareaware, the challenge society is the fundraising wing of the Societies section. They will organise, along with RAG, challenging things to raise money to do, such as climbing Kilimanjaro, London to Paris bike ride etc. Though I'll be honest, that was partly a guess (its a pet peev of mine societies with bad websites!), to be sure, head down to the societies bazaar at the union on Sunday 5th October to find out more!

As for starting a society, it's not the simplest thing in the world to be honest, oother unis do it a lot better... You will need twenty people singed up and paid for as soon as possible to stay registered as a society and to start it you need to jump through a lot of hoops with proof of concept, a functioning committee, risk assessments, and fitting into their insurance. My advice to start a society is find someone already well involved within the section who is interested and willing to help you through the politics. What is it you are thinking about starting?
Reply 30
Original post by LivingHistory
As far as I am awareaware, the challenge society is the fundraising wing of the Societies section. They will organise, along with RAG, challenging things to raise money to do, such as climbing Kilimanjaro, London to Paris bike ride etc. Though I'll be honest, that was partly a guess (its a pet peev of mine societies with bad websites!), to be sure, head down to the societies bazaar at the union on Sunday 5th October to find out more!

As for starting a society, it's not the simplest thing in the world to be honest, oother unis do it a lot better... You will need twenty people singed up and paid for as soon as possible to stay registered as a society and to start it you need to jump through a lot of hoops with proof of concept, a functioning committee, risk assessments, and fitting into their insurance. My advice to start a society is find someone already well involved within the section who is interested and willing to help you through the politics. What is it you are thinking about starting?

I'm applying for 2015 so not this year's freshers :smile: the Challenge society does sound good for having new experiences, I'm just researching for next year. I didn't see like a Baking society or similar so thought that might be an idea (Loughborough Bakeoff 😁)

Posted from TSR Mobile
very keen on the research!! good on. uni in general is good for experiences of all sorts =]

sounds like a good idea, hope you can get it off the ground!
Reply 32
Thank you for your info :smile: just in general how do you find Loughborough if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No problem! Glad help =]

*apologies to the thread for veering off topic and switching away from LivingHistory to the unofficial bloke behind the keyboard!*
Erm... I don't know... To [mis]quote Kingdom of Heaven; it's nothing, and everything. Loughborough is a strange place, it's totally geared towards students, but it's all fairly mainstream and student politics isn't really a thing. The nightlife is based around a small number of clubs so can get a bit repetitive, and is very heavily drink orientated, so can be quite an oppressive atmosphere for the more moderate / pub type folk. That said, I basically stick to small groups with pubs and have had a whale of a time the past three years! If engineering is your thing, the uni is fantastic, brilliant facilities and even better lecturers (can't say much about the other subject groups, but only heard good things!) For sport... It's ok for the average person, most of the facilities and teams are geared to the elite end of life so generally isn't as good for the 'casual' sports folk.

All that said, loughborough is brilliant. it's known as a bubble for a reason, everyone loves it and for that just stay. Like everywhere, it has it's faults, but it all averages out to a great place to be. Being here now I would want to change to anywhere else, it's got all sorts of people from all backgrounds with every interest under the sun, with a top notch academic structure to boot. And while clearly, I'm biased, I would certainly recommend loughborough as a great all round package from the accommodation to the lectures.
Reply 34
Original post by loren12

The name SocSports isn't actually mentioned anywhere (it might have been an old nickname) but I found out that the inter-society competitions now appear to be organised by the AU, the same as inter-Departmental competitions. The only sports run by Societies are non-competitive societies, like Touch Rugby. Inter-society competitions are in football, netball and badminton (you could ask if they fancy running a cricket competition if you join a society, though).

Here are some useful links for you:
Inter-Hall Sports: http://loughboroughsport.com/ims/
Recreational Sport: http://loughboroughsport.com/my-lifestyle/about-mylifestyle/
AU Cricket: http://loughboroughsport.com/sporting-pathways/profile/cricket/
AU info for Freshers: http://loughboroughsport.com/freshers

I can't really help much more I'm afraid, as AU seem to be running the show and I don't know very much about how they work (at Loughborough AU Clubs and SU Societies are almost entirely separate).
Reply 35
Anybody interested in a career in aviation or maybe just fancy trying something a little out of the ordinary while at uni, you should take a look at www.lsu.co.uk/society/flying.

LS Flying Club offers the chance to fly in light aircraft on trips across the UK for only £10! It is particularly great for anyone studying transport management and aero engineering as its great for networking and employability.
Reply 36
Any current students at loughborough now if its possible to play two sports at the university - i play both netball and football and wonder whether I will have to pick one?
Come on flying club, you can surely do better than that....? :tongue:

And as for multiple sports; well that really rather does depend. It might be that both have identical training sessions so it may not be so easy to do both, you might find that doing two sports doesn't leave you with enough time for your course; there is a whole host of mitigating circumstances that may mean you will have to pick only one. At the end of the day; it will come down to your time management and what you want from your time at loughborough.
Reply 38
I was wondering if it is okay if you are not at every meeting/social/etc of a society? I have seen a couple of societies that seem interesting, but that are also very active. If my study load becomes too much I won't be able to actively participate for a while; it that okay or ...?
Reply 39
When you join a society, are you supposed to be at every meeting/event/etc? I have seen quite some societies but all of them also seem so active that I am afraid it will interfere with my studies? Is it possible to combine two or more societies with studies? And is it frowned upon if you're not always actively participating?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending