The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

IB HL Math predicted 6 - should I apply early to LSE?

Hi everyone,

My predicted grades for IB are as follows: 41/42, 44/45 (with ToK, EE). My higher levels include Maths and Economics. My school is credible and known to give fair, non-inflated grades.

I am really interested in applying to Economics and LSE but unfortunately I have attained a predicted grade of 6 for HL Math :frown::frown:. LSE Economics state that they clearly require a 7 in HL Math so I'm worried I might get an instant reject if I apply early. I will get my actual IB results (my IB is in November 2014) on January 6, 2015, so there is still time to apply afterwards but I know that the course is very popular and I'm afraid the slots will be filled up by the time I (hopefully) have achieved a 7 for HL Math. Provided that my personal statement is decent (I have strong interest and ability in Economics, which will also be reflected in the reference), should I apply early or wait for my results and apply in January? I really hope to apply in September/October and get a conditional offer, but I'm afraid I might be instantly rejected instead. Do you guys think it is possible/likely to get a conditional offer?

Reply 1
Original post by queendom
Hi everyone,

My predicted grades for IB are as follows: 41/42, 44/45 (with ToK, EE). My higher levels include Maths and Economics. My school is credible and known to give fair, non-inflated grades.

I am really interested in applying to Economics and LSE but unfortunately I have attained a predicted grade of 6 for HL Math :frown::frown:. LSE Economics state that they clearly require a 7 in HL Math so I'm worried I might get an instant reject if I apply early. I will get my actual IB results (my IB is in November 2014) on January 6, 2015, so there is still time to apply afterwards but I know that the course is very popular and I'm afraid the slots will be filled up by the time I (hopefully) have achieved a 7 for HL Math. Provided that my personal statement is decent (I have strong interest and ability in Economics, which will also be reflected in the reference), should I apply early or wait for my results and apply in January? I really hope to apply in September/October and get a conditional offer, but I'm afraid I might be instantly rejected instead. Do you guys think it is possible/likely to get a conditional offer?

In my opinion you should wait for your results to come out. They instantly reject students who don't meet their basic requirements (they MAY still consider you due to your amazing grades). Also, LSE (at least they say so) gives equal chance to all applications submitted before the deadline. If you get that 7 in HL Math, I am sure that your application will be really strong. Don't take the chance!
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Thanks! I've actually applied 2 months 3 weeks back and still haven't got an answer! They're really mulling it over haha!
Reply 3
Alright. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm taking HL maths too and want to go to LSE!! Economics or Econs +maths probs although PPE is still an option at Oxford.

Do let me know how it went! I have a feeling this will be me a few years down the road.. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Hey!

Just wanted to peek in on this one as I was in, more or less, the same situation as you.

I was predicted 43/45 with 4HL (7776; phy,econ,eng-b,math) 2SL (76; b&m, lang-lit), and had a stellar letter of recommendation (by my econ teacher) and a pretty decent personal statement. Just as you, I applied for Economics and got the following reply a couple of weeks back:

After a thorough review of your application to study BSc in Economics for the 2015/6 academic year, I am sorry to inform you that unfortunately you have not been successful on this occasion.

The feedback we have received from the Admissions Selector indicates that your application was unsuccessful because your predicted grades are below our usual standard offer. We are unable to make an offer to anyone whose predicted grades do not at least meet the standard offer for that programme. Although you may eventually exceed the grades you have been predicted, our decision is made on the basis of the information provided on your UCAS form.

So, just as someone else mentioned before, it is rather pointless to even apply without a solid 7 in Math HL for straight econ as they instantly reject students who don't meet their basic requirements.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
4 months after I've applied, and I'm still waiting for a decision!
I guess they're really hesitant to reject me, but I'm not going to keep my hopes up.
I guess they're really hesitant to reject me, but I'm not going to keep my hopes up.

Then they'll probably accept you!! :smile:
Reply 8

Maybe they are waiting for your IB scores, since they come out in 2 days.
Reply 9

Did you get an offer in the end?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending