The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

How is Three's 4G coverage? Plus accommodation question

Hi, I was wondering about how well 3's 4G coverage is on campus, as I'll need to be choosing a SIM plan when I get there. Experiences?

On a different note, I'd like to get some help choosing which hall I should apply for. I'm looking for a catered one with a active social setting, preferably on the cheaper side. I'll be studying Computing and Management.

Thanks!
Free Wi-Fi all across campus so get use to using whatsapp/viber etc.

There are a few no receptions spots across campus but most places you can get at least a bar or two.

Every hall can be as sociable as you make/want it to be really. Although general rule of thumb (although completely unofficial) the more expensive halls such as Elvyn and Towers have more "balls and suits/frocks dinners" etc. as your Falk Egg's have more let's say "messy nights out". That's just perception though so make of it what you want. Like I say though you'll find fun whatever hall you end in.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
I'm unsure about 4G coverage - you'll have to use Three's coverage checker tool (there must be one on their website) to check that. 3G coverage is fine for most (if not all) major networks. Wi-Fi is all over campus, so once you're sorted with the eduroam network it generally works fine, although there are off days in certain spots.

Note about phones: some of the newly built halls were built out of greener materials, the downside being that some of these can disrupt phone signals. I believe this can be a problem for parts of Bakewell, Elvyn, Rigg-Rutt and John Phillips as they were all built very similarly. Different networks are affected differently (I have a vague recollection that Orange phones didn't have much of a problem, but it's a while ago for me so don't take it as gospel). You can usually get phone signal somewhere near the windows of your bedroom and kitchen, but it can be mildly frustrating sometimes. Of course, this doesn't affect Wi-Fi as there are routers in every flat.

On Halls: for catered, active social setting, computing management made me think immediately of Towers. It's catered, known for being social and near the Union, and only a short walk from the main computing labs in the Hazlerigg building. Rutherford may be another choice - it's closer to the library but further from the Union/computing labs than Towers. To be honest, distance doesn't matter huge amounts as you can walk from the Union to the Library in 20 minutes easily once you are familiar with campus.

Here's an annotated campus map to boot :biggrin: http://maps.lboro.ac.uk/
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
I live in Loughborough and am on the Three network. Around the campus area and town centre there is good 4G coverage. Further afield you'll get HSDPA+ and 3G.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending