The Student Room Group

Missing my firm uni offer has triggered my depression

I have a history of anxiety and have received counselling for both a car accident I experienced as a child and also for depressive feelings and behaviour. I have never been diagnosed with a clinical mental illness due to what I believe to be the case that I do not pose a risk of anything suicidal etc. I know in myself that each day I feel depression, it is a part of my life and I am a very existential person. I often feel apathetic about things.

I had an offer of AAB to get into the uni of my choice this September. I suffered a family bereavement the week of my first exam which triggered a depressive episode. I applied for special consideration but this was not enough for me to get in with the grades of BCC.

I feel incredibly low. Uni was the one thing I cared about as it gave me some direction and excitement and feeling. Right now I feel useless and completely inadequate.

I am arguing with my parents most days and I see no solution to the situation I'm in. I cannot find a uni I'm enthusiastic about to go to through clearing, sixth form colleges are not responding to me and telling me it is unlikely I can retake the year, the idea of a gap year staying at home or otherwise does not appeal to me. I see myself being extremely miserable for the next year and I am getting extremely worried about the way that I am feeling and how to stop this.

Any advice would be helpful, thank you
Gap years aren't all about staying at home, it's about finding a job and earning money and boosting your CV while you prepare to go to uni. Read about other people's gap year experiences on TSR to see what I mean

Quick Reply

Latest