The Student Room Group

About to go into year 10...subject help?!

Ok, so i'm starting year 10 in September and i was wondering if anyone here could give me some adivce on the subjects i chose to do. I chose Modern History, Psychology, Pe and economics. And also Statistics as an extra course. Im already doing triple science as i started a year early so no worries about that. Can you guys tell me:
1. What expect from all my courses (inc. Maths and english)??
2. Did i pick good subject (to get into a decent uni/6th form)
3. Will they help with my career choice (i want to be a biochemist)??

Thanks loads xoxo
Original post by secrect_nerd__
Ok, so i'm starting year 10 in September and i was wondering if anyone here could give me some adivce on the subjects i chose to do. I chose Modern History, Psychology, Pe and economics. And also Statistics as an extra course. Im already doing triple science as i started a year early so no worries about that. Can you guys tell me:

Thanks loads xoxo

Those are a good set of GCSEs! They're perfectly okay for 6th form, and for going onto uni to do something like biochemistry. :smile:

If you look at the other forums in the "Study Help" section, you'll find a forum for each subject! Maybe you can have a look and see what others think of the subject? :h:

Thanks loads xoxo

Right...

1) English Language - analysis of stuff basically (written, videos, speech) and then your own writing skills

English Lit - same as above but books/plays

Maths - well maths
Stats - same but more application to problems, coursework involved

History - really fun, depends on areas you have.

Economics - learn about both local level and (inter)national policies and how it all effects the economy

Psychology - case studies basically, of varying areas. Memory, attachment etc

PE - sociology, biology and sports in one basically!

2) yep, your a levels will probably be biology, chemistry, maths and one other

3) again yep. They'll be fine
Thanks loads:smile:
Reply 4

Thanks loads xoxo

I can't tell you much about Psychology/PE/Economics, but I've done Stats and am doing History.
Those subjects are fine; they aren't, like, intensely academic, but that's fine; seeing as you want to be a biochemist it hardly matters what you choose as long as you're doing triple science, which you are. Hopefully you've chosen ones you'll enjoy and be good at. Unis and sixth form won't care much about what the subjects are, just the grades, and even then probably only English, Maths and Science.
In Y10, make sure you listen in lessons, do your homework, ask questions if you need to, and importantly, do your very best in controlled assessments! Maybe in some subjects you'll think, oh, that's only 25%, but trust me, you'll be kicking yourself on results day when you only needed 1 ums for the next grade, and had you worked for your assessment, you would have got it!
When it comes to revision, in most subjects, revision guides are your friends (especially CGP ones). I did statistics this year, and you need to do past papers and practise the questions in the guide. I managed to get an A* just from doing that.

Thanks loads xoxo

Hello, following from what hype said..
Here are the separate GCSE subjects:
Maths
English
History
Psychology
Science
Biology
Chemistry
Physics

I think you have picked decent subjects for uni, 6th form and your future career :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest