The Student Room Group

I'm in year 11, is it too late for me ?

I'm about to start year 11, and I'm getting overwhelmed and feel like I am doomed. GCSEs aren't the end of the world, but I really want to do well. The entirety of year 10, I have been messing around, everyone in my class (including me) have been cheating on our exams, my teachers aren't the best and just leave the room during tests so everyone just talks and exchanges answers. My end of years only went well because for some reason our class didn't do them in the hall, so like I said, everyone just cheated. I'm realizing now, dumbly enough, that I am literally doomed.

I can probably scrape a 6 in all subjects, I don't think I will fail any GCSEs, but I feel like I've run out of time now I'm in year 11 to try and get a 8 or 9. Can I learn and improve within less than a year? How do I do it? I really feel like I've run out of time, I don't want to disappoint my parents :frown:
Reply 1
No it’s not it’s never too late,I’m currently in y11 with results day coming in 6 days.

In year 10 I wasnt getting the best grades I was overwhelmed and was struggling to stay afloat.In year y11 I got more organised and started talking to my teachers about my grades and where I could improve.

In regards to how to improve I cannot stress this enough PAST PAPER EXAMS! they will be your life saver and help you throughout all mark them and do them over and over and over again. Even if you don’t see a massive change in your grades it’s better to at least know you have it your all and tried your best then to know you barely attempted to.

It’s never too late to start getting those top grades, once you start to see that you are capable of it you won’t settle for less.

Goodluck - you’ve got this

Edit : I just got my results back and got grades 888877765
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I'm about to start year 11, and I'm getting overwhelmed and feel like I am doomed. GCSEs aren't the end of the world, but I really want to do well. The entirety of year 10, I have been messing around, everyone in my class (including me) have been cheating on our exams, my teachers aren't the best and just leave the room during tests so everyone just talks and exchanges answers. My end of years only went well because for some reason our class didn't do them in the hall, so like I said, everyone just cheated. I'm realizing now, dumbly enough, that I am literally doomed.

I can probably scrape a 6 in all subjects, I don't think I will fail any GCSEs, but I feel like I've run out of time now I'm in year 11 to try and get a 8 or 9. Can I learn and improve within less than a year? How do I do it? I really feel like I've run out of time, I don't want to disappoint my parents :frown:

no way you can definitely pull back from this. i know tons of people that didn't work in year 10 and still got good grades. if you're aiming for 8s and 9s and have any questions feel free to ask for any advice from me as i ended up getting 8 9s and 1 8.

what gcses did you take?

know that your revision strategy for each subject is going to be different - but the most important thing for most subjects is past papers since this will teach you exam technique and also give you an idea of the types of questions they ask in the exam.

if you feel like your year 10 knowledge isn't strong go over the hardest parts and try to understand them more whether that's through mindmaps, flashcards, active recall etcetc

i didn't really revise much in year 10 but then took year 11 slightly more seriously and was fine in the end.

of course this is all down to you as a person, but i don't think you should stress too much since u still do have time!

you will likely have year 11 mocks soon so try and treat these more seriously and revise properly for each exam. if you see an improvement on the grades you'll know you're on the right track.

if you really feel like you are swamped - ask your teachers for extra support and look online for resources there's tons of stuff out there that's free as well

but honestly don't worry there's totally time to pull back :smile:
Reply 3
In year 10 I was much the same as you, as I messed around all the time. I managed to discipline myself in y11 and saw my grades rise from a pass to an 8/9 grade (hopefully I’ll get these this year) You may feel overwhelmed right now but you are definitely not ‘doomed’. This sort of belief won’t get you far in y11 and may cause a lot of stress that will leave you burnt out.

I recommend doing past papers until you’ve ran out, then doing them again (say a month later) after you’ve recapped everything you didn’t get right (make a checklist on the front or back cover and be honest with yourself as to where you made mistakes). Do topic based questions on physics maths tutor to recap these and watch YouTube videos.

Don’t be scared to ask for additional help e.g going to extra help sessions at school, working in library during lunch these will really help particularly if you go home a little later in the day and don’t have enough time to work.

In English and maths people thought I was a lost cause but I was determined to prove them wrong so I put in a lot of effort by writing essays and getting teachers and tutors to review them, doing half an hour of maths a day then building this time up.
I also used the following YouTubers:

- mr everything English
- mr salles teaches English
- the gcse maths tutor
- cognito (for science)

Hope this information helps, keep your hopes up and go into y11 strong :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest