The Student Room Group

My husband needs an Oxbridge degree

Scroll to see replies

Whatever floats your boat you troll
Original post by Stephen H
My husband needs to be an Oxbridge graduate. I won't settle for any lesser intelligence because I don't like people's leftovers. I want my children to be cleverer than me and go to Oxbridge. I can just about manage to get into Sheffield University. This isn't good enough and I want better!

This guy should be a fine candidate for your future husband OP :wink:

Arithmeticae
x
Hardly in a position to request your partner to attend such a university, especially considering you're attending Sheffield. (I'm not degrading it)

Attending such a university doesn't mean they'll grow up to be smart, there's nothing stopping your future children from failing everything and/or making the wrong choices.
(edited 9 years ago)
Pathetic level of snobbery. Sheffield is a cracking uni and top 20 in the UK. The obsession over Oxford is pathetic.
I'm sure he won't settle for a person from Sheffield University.
Agreed
I always prefer to hire accountants,lawyers and tutors who went to oxbridge preferably a big college like trinity or christ church.

I even prefer oxbridge MPs
My husband needs to be an Oxbridge graduate. I won't settle for any lesser intelligence because I don't like people's leftovers. I want my children to be cleverer than me and go to Oxbridge. I can just about manage to get into Sheffield University. This isn't good enough and I want better!

Don't come to Sheffield, we don't want you.
Reply 27
Original post by godd
Oxbridge reject too many just as able applicants, there is such a luck factor with Oxbridge as well.

I know geniuses who have been rejected by Oxbridge, with 10 A*s and 4 A*s at A Level.

Apparently the system works.

Someone is not a genius because they have 10 A*s at GCSE and 4 A*s at A-Level (or because you think they are). Plenty of people with those kind of grades are good at memorising GCSE and A-Level material for future regurgitation but completely flop when it comes to actual problem solving.
Reply 28
Original post by Noble.
Someone is not a genius because they have 10 A*s at GCSE and 4 A*s at A-Level (or because you think they are). Plenty of people with those kind of grades are good at memorising GCSE and A-Level material for future regurgitation but completely flop when it comes to actual problem solving.

A genius cannot solve a maths problem without a mathematical disposition gained through memorizing information.
Reply 29
A genius cannot solve a maths problem without a mathematical disposition gained through memorizing information.

I don't deny that. It's a pre-requisite, it doesn't make someone a genius because they're able to memorise basic GCSE and A-Level material.
Reply 30
Original post by Noble.
I don't deny that. It's a pre-requisite, it doesn't make someone a genius because they're able to memorise basic GCSE and A-Level material.

Would you say your GP is a genius?

They problem solve daily when they prescribe medication for an ailment.
Reply 31
Would you say your GP is a genius?

They problem solve daily when they prescribe medication for an ailment.

No
Reply 32
Original post by Noble.
No

Well why not?
Reply 33
Well why not?

Someone isn't a genius just because they problem solve on a daily basis. The only person I've ever known that I'd describe as a genius is my own tutor.
Reply 34
Original post by Noble.
Someone isn't a genius just because they problem solve on a daily basis. The only person I've ever known that I'd describe as a genius is my own tutor.

Issac Newton and Albert Einstein etc solved problems on a daily basis and yet, we call them geniuses.
Reply 35
Issac Newton or Albert Einstein solved problems on a daily basis and yet, we call them geniuses.

I get the impression you are somewhat dense...
Do you understand the difference between the following two statements?

"A genius problem solves regularly"

"Someone who problem solves regularly is a genius"

I am saying the first, you seem to think the first statement implies the second, it doesn't.

Obviously a genius will problem solve 'on a daily basis' - it doesn't mean everyone that problem solves 'on a daily basis' is a genius. Even complete morons problem solve on a daily basis

Problem: Oh no, the fridge door is open
Solution: Close the fridge door
Are you gay?
Reply 37
Original post by Noble.
I get the impression you are somewhat dense...
Do you understand the difference between the following two statements?

"A genius problem solves regularly"

"Someone who problem solves regularly is a genius"

I am saying the first, you seem to think the first statement implies the second, it doesn't.

Obviously a genius will problem solve 'on a daily basis' - it doesn't mean everyone that problem solves 'on a daily basis' is a genius. Even complete morons problem solve on a daily basis

Problem: Oh no, the fridge door is open
Solution: Close the fridge door

What is a genius?
Reply 38
Original post by namename
Are you gay?

Yes I am happy.
Original post by James222
Agreed
I always prefer to hire accountants,lawyers and tutors who went to oxbridge preferably a big college like trinity or christ church.

I even prefer oxbridge MPs

Anyone who puts their college on their firm profile is highly likely to be a knob.

Quick Reply

Latest