The Student Room Group

Rejected for phd - what should I do?

I got my final rejection email for a phd earlier today. Got rejected from every university I applied to. :frown:

I'm 32 and work as an administrative assistant in a large business. I don't enjoy my job. I feel so jealous of my husband who has a phd and job he enjoys. Feel like I'm never gonna get anywhere.

I don't know what to do. Just feel lost. :frown:
Have you considered applying to study a masters level qualification or professional qualification part time?
I'm not interested in doing a PhD but do enjoy accumulating postgrads and learning new skills.
Original post by Anonymous
I got my final rejection email for a phd earlier today. Got rejected from every university I applied to. :frown:

I'm 32 and work as an administrative assistant in a large business. I don't enjoy my job. I feel so jealous of my husband who has a phd and job he enjoys. Feel like I'm never gonna get anywhere.

Well if you still want a PhD request admissions feedback. At which point you can address improving your application. PhD applications tend to be rolling so you can re-apply in the next semester if you wish...

The other question is what do you want, now a PhD is really a working level academic researcher, if research is what you wish to do maybe their are other routes you can consider.

I think its worth noting a PhD might be the peak of academic qualifications but it does not guarantee you will enjoy life afterwards or mean you’ll enjoy the project (in fact PhD research statistically shows very poor mental health among people in the process...).
Reply 3
Original post by mnot
Well if you still want a PhD request admissions feedback. At which point you can address improving your application. PhD applications tend to be rolling so you can re-apply in the next semester if you wish...

The other question is what do you want, now a PhD is really a working level academic researcher, if research is what you wish to do maybe their are other routes you can consider.

I think its worth noting a PhD might be the peak of academic qualifications but it does not guarantee you will enjoy life afterwards or mean you’ll enjoy the project (in fact PhD research statistically shows very poor mental health among people in the process...).

I don't think I can request feedback, can I? All the rejection emails just stated that they received a lot of very good applications and so are unable to offer a place to me.

I want to be a clinical psychologist so for that I would need a phd. I already have a master's level degree. I know how much dedication and time and effort go into the degree as I remember helping my husband when he was doing his. I dunno, I just feel like a loser. I work for minimum wage and have dreams but feel like I'll never achieve any of them. I live in a small town so opportunities for work experience (plus I already have to work) are scarce.
I don't think I can request feedback, can I? All the rejection emails just stated that they received a lot of very good applications and so are unable to offer a place to me.

I want to be a clinical psychologist so for that I would need a phd. I already have a master's level degree. I know how much dedication and time and effort go into the degree as I remember helping my husband when he was doing his. I dunno, I just feel like a loser. I work for minimum wage and have dreams but feel like I'll never achieve any of them. I live in a small town so opportunities for work experience (plus I already have to work) are scarce.

Well you can ask, they may choose not to provide feedback, their is really no harm in asking some supervisors will, others won’t.

If you have any contacts from university who did a PhD in your field perhaps try and chat with them and go over your application content on ideas to improve it.

Google luck.
If they reject a feedback request, you can put in a subject access request (GDPR), which they have to comply with. You are then sent all the files in relation to your application, which sometimes contain the reasons that you weren't picked.

Hey,
This happens to the best of us.

I've been rejected several years in a row. I had to do a second (research master) to get in.

I do not have a tip on how to switch from admin to psychologist, but can suggest improving your cover letter by saying you have something to write your thesis about. Say, you like reading people, or helping them with issues they may have, and not only at work.

PhD is a back-breaking work. You will probably to have to sit through the master courses again in the years 1-2 in a lot of schools.
Perhaps after getting a degree and a tenure you'll feel some enjoyment :smile: But reading, writing all that and publishing so that you are not to get kicked out is stressful. I think your husband is alucky one to find a job fitting him.
If you are too comfortable where you at, and want to grind, go for it. You probably will not have enough time to sleep or eat half of the semester.

I have just show your post. Please don't give up. Try again and again 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending