The Student Room Group

Ab initio language degrees

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what it is really like to pick up a new language ab initio at university? I really enjoy languages and am considering applying for a degree in German (studied at A level) and ab initio Spanish, however I find the thought of being a beginner in such a fast paced learning environment a bit daunting! How did you find the pace and work load? Do you feel you got to a high standard of language fairly quickly? Did you feel prepared for your year abroad after only two years studying the language?

It would also be helpful to find out any career plans you have if possible, as I am really unsure what I would do after a languages degree. I have been told by people that you can do anything as it doesn't limit you to a specific career, but this doesn't help really as I don't know what I would like to do! Whilst I think I would greatly enjoy a degree in languages, in this aspect I am slightly worried it would not be worthwhile in terms of a career.

Thank you in advance for any advice you have (:
Reply 1
Thank you very much for your reply, that's really helpful. Could I ask what you have studied and where? (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending