The Student Room Group

Elitism: should private schools be abolished?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JFens
I misunderstood your earlier post. I thought you meant some sort of state pre-school? Obviously taking away people's children is immoral but there has to be some way to make sure social background doesn't influence academic success

There isn't a way, as long as social background remains different and unequal. We don't have the resources to make up for the huge differences between a child brought up by two educated parents, one of whom can afford to take time off work and a child brought up by a single mother with 2 GCSE passes. Achieving equality more generally in the country would go some of the way towards achieving this, but that's a goal that's a long way off, if it'sever achievable.

Original post by JFens
So you think some people are genetically superior?
Sounds like a certain A. Hitler

Some people are genetically superior, at least based on the values of our society. All the evidence suggests that there are genetic components to many traits, not least intelligence. Hitler was not wrong because he thought there were genetic differences. He was wrong because he used that to justify genocide.
Reply 21
Original post by JFens

we are all genetically different some have been blessed with superior athletic ability, others ability with maths, or languages etc. people are not the same and some of the differences come from genetics.
Original post by cole-slaw
Their exams should be made harder to offset the addition coaching they've been given and give a more accurate reflection of the pupil's actual academic ability. They should also be forced to live up to their charity status by sharing their facilities with local state schools.

I'd support the sharing of facilities.

However, your first point is ridiculous, and based off the false assumption that ability is innate and unrelated to nurture. Private school pupils do better because they are more able, and the extra education they receive is one of the reasons for this (although probably much less than their SES and related factors). The point of exams is that they are the same everywhere, so give a fair comparison of individuals' abilities. The extreme conclusion of your logic would be to tailor an exam to every individual so that we all get the same scores.
Reply 23
Their exams should be made harder to offset the addition coaching they've been given and give a more accurate reflection of the pupil's actual academic ability. They should also be forced to live up to their charity status by sharing their facilities with local state schools.

This definitely sounds like a good idea. I wonder if any schools have actually done this
Original post by Wee.Guy
private schools should not be abolished. this is another example of pushing down the rich rather than pulling up the poor in the name of Equality.

fixed

state-schoolers are just as intelligent as private-schoolers
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JFens
This definitely sounds like a good idea. I wonder if any schools have actually done this

Many schools have started doing so, and some have even sponsored state academies.
Original post by JFens

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/10631319/Is-intelligence-written-in-the-genes.html
Reply 27
Original post by Wee.Guy
we are all genetically different some have been blessed with superior athletic ability, others ability with maths, or languages etc. people are not the same and some of the differences come from genetics.

I disagree with your general stance, bit too 'social Darwinist' for me.
Original post by PythianLegume
I'd support the sharing of facilities.

However, your first point is ridiculous, and based off the false assumption that ability is innate and unrelated to nurture. Private school pupils do better because they are more able, and the extra education they receive is one of the reasons for this (although probably much less than their SES and related factors). .

Are you even serious?

If they were more able, why pay money to go to private school at all them?

Private school pupils do better because they are rigorously given one-on-one coaching to pass exams, and spoon fed model answers to memorise. They are no more able at all.

The point of exams is that they are the same everywhere, so give a fair comparison of individuals' abilities. The extreme conclusion of your logic would be to tailor an exam to every individual so that we all get the same scores

The same exams would only give a fair comparison of ability if each pupil was also given the same level of instruction and assistance.

As they are not, the exam system is deeply and obviously flawed.

Either we adjust the exams in step, we remove the additional assistance, or we simply accept that a pupil who gets an A from a private school is only as smart as a pupil who gets a C from a state school.
Original post by JFens
I disagree with your general stance, bit too 'social Darwinist' for me.

It's not something you can disagree with because you don't like it. It's supported by evidence, it's basically a fact.

Are you even serious?

If they were more able, why pay money to go to private school at all them?

Private school pupils do better because they are rigorously given one-on-one coaching to pass exams, and spoon fed model answers to memorise. They are no more able at all.

Well you're still working on the assumption of innate intelligence. The fact is that rigorous education improves people's abilities. If you don't think education makes people smarter, I don't know why you support the education system at all.

And while there is an issue of spoon-feeding (shown by the comparisons of privately and state educated undergraduates), to deny that private school pupils are not more able is ridiculous. You honestly think spoon-feeding is the reason that top Public schools get about 50% A* at A-Level? You really think that if you put a randomly selected group of teenagers in those schools, rather than the selective intake they already have, you'd get the same outcome? And do you honestly not think that private schools provide a better education than state schools?

The same exams would only give a fair comparison of ability if each pupil was also given the same level of instruction and assistance.

As they are not, the exam system is deeply and obviously flawed.

Either we adjust the exams in step, we remove the additional assistance, or we simply accept that a pupil who gets an A from a private school is only as smart as a pupil who gets a C from a state school.

Again, you're still working under the false assumption that intelligence can be separated out from experience and education. More education makes people smarter, this is born out by evidence and plain common sense.

Intelligence is not purely innate. Until you accept that, you will keep drawing false conclusions.
Reply 30

This is one piece of research, which found that the gene in question accounted for only half a percentage of the variation in intelligence. It certainly is not conclusive evidence that intelligence is genetically determined.
Reply 31
It's not something you can disagree with because you don't like it. It's supported by evidence, it's basically a fact.

See my response to alexh42. Furthermore, this is a viewpoint which is used to legitimate/justify fascist regimes (such as Nazi Germany) as well as racism generally.
Original post by JFens
This is one piece of research, which found that the gene in question accounted for only half a percentage of the variation in intelligence. It certainly is not conclusive evidence that intelligence is genetically determined.

There is plenty of evidence. I draw your attention to Bouchard et al. and the Minnesota Twin Study. They have found significant heritability of intelligence by looking at the correlations between related individuals in different situations (the most crucial being identical twins reared apart compared to non-identical twins or unrelated individuals). Read Mackintosh's 'Human Intelligence and IQ' for a review.

Original post by JFens
See my response to alexh42. Furthermore, this is a viewpoint which is used to legitimate/justify fascist regimes (such as Nazi Germany) as well as racism generally.

Just because a fact is misused, doesn't make it any less valid.
Original post by Wee.Guy
private schools should not be abolished. this is another example of pushing down the intelligent rather than pulling up the unintelligent in the name of Equality.

Private schools are not just for the intelligent though, they're for the rich first and foremost. Some are then selective based on intelligence too, but not all. Grammar schools are for the intelligent.

There have to be standardised, national exams or any sort of comparison of pupils will become impossible. Plus, different schools are different in the first palace, are we going to go around judging every one for the academic teaching and support it gives to it's pupils? There are schemes for people from particularly poor schools, access courses, lower offers etc, to go any further would become ridiculous.
Your second point sounds like a good idea, though.
Reply 35

Just because a fact is misused, doesn't make it any less valid.

True, but it still supports racism. Also, genetics is a small part of this argument; socio-economic background is still important As the article I originally posted a link to shows, the majority of the most high-paying jobs are filled by people who went to private/independent schools. A report by the Smith institute (http://www.smith-institute.org.uk/file/Who-Governs-Britain.pdf) drew similar conclusions.
Original post by JFens
True, but it still supports racism. Also, genetics is a small part of this argument; socio-economic background is still important As the article I originally posted a link to shows, the majority of the most high-paying jobs are filled by people who went to private/independent schools. A report by the Smith institute (http://www.smith-institute.org.uk/file/Who-Governs-Britain.pdf) drew similar conclusions.

I have two points to make regarding that.

The first I've already mentioned - private school pupils are simply more able than state school pupils. They get a vastly disproportionate number of top grades, so it's not all that surprising that they are over-represented at the top of the workforce.

And secondly, if people are getting these jobs because of some sort of nepotism or old-boys network, then the solution is to prevent nepotism, not ban private schools.
Reply 37
Original post by Wee.Guy
private schools should not be abolished. this is another example of pushing down the intelligent rather than pulling up the unintelligent in the name of Equality.

Where is the evidence to suggest that those who attend a private school are distinct in terms of intelligence than their cohort who attend state schools?
Original post by Marcum
Where is the evidence to suggest that those who attend a private school are distinct in terms of intelligence than their cohort who attend state schools?

I'm not aware of studies that explicitly measure this. However, there are certainly studies that show children with higher SES have higher IQ. And privately educated pupils clearly have higher SES. It's not exactly a huge leap of logic.

But the crucial thing is the quality of education, not the intake. This is certainly less clear-cut. But the basis of abolishing private schools is that they provide an unfair advantage. If they don't, the entire debate is moot.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 39
I have two points to make regarding that.

The first I've already mentioned - private school pupils are simply more able than state school pupils. They get a vastly disproportionate number of top grades, so it's not all that surprising that they are over-represented at the top of the workforce.

And secondly, if people are getting these jobs because of some sort of nepotism or old-boys network, then the solution is to prevent nepotism, not ban private schools.

But this "old-boys network" originates largely from people going to the same (private) schools. Therefore, the most appropriate way to dismantle these networks is to abolish private schools. Also. you seem to be suggesting that the poor are only in this position because they're lazy or don't know the value of hard work. This ignores so much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending