The Student Room Group

Getting a life back after mental health breakdowns

Well, my mental health has been pretty shocking in the last couple of years. I'm a manic depressive and have had several episodes, a couple fairly severe.

Am currently in hospital, better than when I went in, desperately wanting to leave but also scared ****less of the future. Lost my last full time job around a year ago after a mental breakdown and life generally fell apart around me, girlfriend kicked me out, I lost friends, was bankrupted etc. I feel I have very little left and although I want to leave hospital, I am kind of scared as to how the hell I will rebuild any sort of life with so little energy, confidence and self worth.

I guess what I am looking for here is stories people can tell about rebuilding a life and starting again after ****ing up and/or having disabling mental health problems.
Original post by Jay84
Well, my mental health has been pretty shocking in the last couple of years. I'm a manic depressive and have had several episodes, a couple fairly severe.

Am currently in hospital, better than when I went in, desperately wanting to leave but also scared ****less of the future. Lost my last full time job around a year ago after a mental breakdown and life generally fell apart around me, girlfriend kicked me out, I lost friends, was bankrupted etc. I feel I have very little left and although I want to leave hospital, I am kind of scared as to how the hell I will rebuild any sort of life with so little energy, confidence and self worth.

I guess what I am looking for here is stories people can tell about rebuilding a life and starting again after ****ing up and/or having disabling mental health problems.

First things first. Please, however hard it may seem, please remember that you are not alone. Depression, ultimately, affects everybody at some stage in their life. The difference lies within how people go about coping with such difficulties.

I myself, have had my fair share of difficulties regarding depression throughout my life, so from that point of view, i can sympathise more than most. Understand that everyday is a new day. This day, will never be the same as the previous day, unless you think that way. It sounds like you have gone through a lot recently and are finding it difficult to cope. For a lot of people, talking about their problems can be extremely difficult for a number of reasons. However, the fact that you have been able to post and seek help, is an excellent start, and for that, however small you think it is, you should be proud of yourself. You have recognised that things are hard and you have taken the first necessary steps in receiving help.

Try to pick out the positives within your life, focus on things that make you happy or things that you are interested in. Try to remember that you are not alone, and that their are people out their that care about you and your wellbeing and want you to lead a bright and happy life.

I am more than happy to talk.

I hope this has helped, even if it simply put a smile on your face. Every life is precious, including yours.
Ill try not to be to blunt but if at any point I seem to be getting a bit aggressive i'm sorry I don't mean it.

You have been in hospital. Great, place to think about things. You were also born in a hospital, (most likely away) and tell me this did you have a plan back then?
If you did i'm impressed a baby planned its future.
But anyway you are back to this stage, but when did it stop you before, humans are born weak and helpless, born with nothing.
But that means you are a blank canvas to new ideas and dreams, that you can see through the window without all of the junk on it before.
If you didn't have the break down you may of been suck in the same job for 50 more years no change and later suffer a mid life crisis you may never be able to overcome.
But you have had THIS time now to change anything you want in your future and to plan away at all the NEW reasons of why you should be alive.
Your incident didn't break your life, it didn't stop you living, you did that yourself when you gave up hope of a future. (Katawa Shojuo - visual novel which is free so try it at least once)
You have all this new time and ability to change, if you don't use this opportunity now then it may as will be wasted on you.

Quick Reply

Latest