The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Lord Huntroyde
Queen were seen as a gimmick by some and Justin is a better singer than Robert Plant - who squeaked all the time (Justin never actually squeaks, it is all controlled).

But Queen wrote amazing songs in which you could actually hear Freedy Mercury's emotion. Darkness don't do that.
Reply 21
Chicken
And Westlife? A Band? More like ' The Simon Cowell/Louis Walsh money making puppet show'....

D12 aren't really a band (despite the title of their latest single).
Reply 22
Zapsta
But Queen wrote amazing songs in which you could actually hear Freedy Mercury's emotion. Darkness don't do that.

Don't talk about freddy Mercury..He was such a lovely folk...... :smile:
Reply 23
Zapsta

Yet.

And Queen also did silly songs which is the stage that The Darkness are currently at, but they will evolve.
Reply 24
Lord Huntroyde
D12 aren't really a band (despite the title of their latest single).

In which they say "we're not a band"!
Reply 25
zazy
Don't talk about freddy Mercury..He was such a lovely folk...... :smile:

But I was being nice!
Reply 26
Zapsta
In which they say "we're not a band"!

Really? I haven't had the pleasure of hearing it all the way through.
Reply 27
Zapsta
But I was being nice!

I know..just when i hear his name i feel sorry for him...it's not you... :frown:
Reply 28
Lord Huntroyde
Yet.

And Queen also did silly songs which is the stage that The Darkness are currently at, but they will evolve.

Then maybe I'll eat my words, but I seriously doubt it. At the moment they are successful because they are different, not because they have done anything particularly good.
Reply 29
Zapsta
Then maybe I'll eat my words, but I seriously doubt it. At the moment they are successful because they are different, not because they have done anything particularly good.

They have a lead singer who can sing (if bizarrely) and musicians who can play their instruments.

Both of these are unusual nowdays, and some of their songs have very good musical features, some of which are reminiscent of Queen, for example some of the harmonies are similar to the harmony in Somebody to Love.
Reply 30
Queen also had Brian May, possibly the most distinguishable guitarist ever, he's just got a style that nobody else has ever done.
Reply 31
Chicken
Queen also had Brian May, possibly the most distinguishable guitarist ever, he's just got a style that nobody else has ever done.

Jimmy Page was better, but May is up there.
Reply 32
Lord Huntroyde
They have a lead singer who can sing (if bizarrely) and musicians who can play their instruments.

Both of these are unusual nowdays, and some of their songs have very good musical features, some of which are reminiscent of Queen, for example some of the harmonies are similar to the harmony in Somebody to Love.

He might be able to sing but it's a voice to hate. It just sticks right out, which isn't particularly nice. And just because people can play their instruments, it doesn't mean they put them to good use. And good features doesn't mean good songs! Someone once wrote on here that Green Day are rubbish because their songs are easy to play, i.e. they don't have particularly good features, but a lot of them still sound brilliant because the finished package just works. Also, how can you use the fact that a band imitates another to suggest that they are good? Surely the best bands should just work from their own clean slate.
Reply 33
Zapsta
Also, how can you use the fact that a band imitates another to suggest that they are good? Surely the best bands should just work from their own clean slate.

When that band is Queen it is nothing to be ashamed of.
Reply 34
Lord Huntroyde
When that band is Queen it is nothing to be ashamed of.

A wannabe is a bad thing. A poor wannabe is even worse.
Reply 35
Zapsta
A wannabe is a bad thing. A poor wannabe is even worse.

But they're not an imitation band, they just take inspiration from Queen.

Find a successful band that hasn't taken inspiration from another source.
Reply 36
What is Busted doing on the list?that's what i need to know :tongue:
Reply 37
Lord Huntroyde
But they're not an imitation band, they just take inspiration from Queen.

Find a successful band that hasn't taken inspiration from another source.

Very few, but they're imitating Queen's style. Sorry, you ain't going to convince me on this one! Music truly is the great divider.
Reply 38
Zapsta
Very few, but they're imitating Queen's style. Sorry, you ain't going to convince me on this one! Music truly is the great divider.

They're not imitating them, a lot of their stuff is nothing like Queen's.
Reply 39
Lord Huntroyde
They're not imitating them, a lot of their stuff is nothing like Queen's.

I admit you can't compare them to Queen when it comes to songs simply because Queen were on another level, but Justin Hawkins wants to be Freddy.

Latest

Trending

Trending