The Student Room Group

Best music is from what era?

What music decade wise is your favorite? Put age of yourself too.
Reply 1
Original post by Msruska55

Im 17 almost 18 and its hands down romantic. Chopin, Liszt, Beethoven, Wagner, Rach and kinda Stravinsky I guess are some of the best composers imo.
Reply 2
Hard to nail this answer easily. Depends on your criteria, best as in makes the most money for the label? Best as in, favorite? Best as in, unique? But objectively, it's the 60s-80s. As here, experimentation was at it's highest, moving cultural and social trends led to the invention of new ways of music making, riskier lyrics, riskier outfits, risk everywhere, technology development led to increased diversification of music production, new instruments and various non instrument sounds added to songs. It sort of died at the end of the 80s, in favor of rebooting the success of the 60s -70s. Look at the British Invasion, followed by the second one. Never has that level of fever for music happened since. The pre-60s relied on talent alone, the 70s and 80s relied on talent not just in singing but in performance, the 90s onwards led to an oversaturation of the market with carbon copies of what was about, but favored look over talent. Notable artists and groups have appeared 90s onwards, but based on what era had the best in numbers, it was the 60s to 80s.
Gotta be 80's, man. Although I almost exclusively listen to metal (majority of it being relatively modern), the 80's was when it started to take off. To add, even non-metal 80's music satiates my eardrums in comparison to the garbage they spew out nowadays.

I was born in the late 90's but the 80's was my parents era of music so that's likely why I'm able to tolerate it.
Reply 4
Couldn't pick one, really. I have everything from 1920s swing and jazz to 2023 prog black metal and I love all of it. I am 36.
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Msruska55

00's music is my favourite.
Theres also a lot of music from the 80's, 90's and 10's that i like as well. But the 00's is the best.
Im 32 btw.
Reply 6
Some bands to the current date have done an excellent job of iterating upon the most popular and most niche aspects of that most lionised era 1960s-1990s.
And, conversely, some of the most lionised bands during that time also wrote some less good stuff during that time.

There can be something to be said for being the first to do something, being the most proficient to do something, being the most sincere, or being the most knowing (eg postmodernist) to do something. Each of these can happen anytime but it depends on publicity, personality, and being regarded as part of a zeitgeist.

We must accept that we know barely any of the full sum of music being produced. Still, we can compare what is popular in each time. But our enjoyment of it is a bit biased by what we liked when we were about 14.

I think that the mid 80s to mid 00s was a particularly interesting stretch in the mainstream. It covers R.E.M., The Stone Roses and Madchester, The La's, The New Romantics, Kate Bush (although 1980's Never For Ever and 1982's The Dreaming are now my favourite), Tori Amos, 90s Britpop, a resurgence of 1960s-style garage rock (not least The White Stripes) , even a couple of Pink Floyd albums and some diverse work from David Bowie. The 70s was certainly an important time for those latter 2 artists yet, as a society, I feel that the 70s was sometimes an awkward time for the UK, a hopelessly cartoonish divide between NIMBYs clutching metaphorical pearls, cartoonishly raw punks (including the faux youthful rebelliousness and tacky sexualness of the no longer young The Rolling Stones) and the soul-destroying conspicuous excess, like Eurotrash granting the peasants a salacious peek, of the over-lauded Roxy Music. Thank goodness the 80s started to put the worst aspects of the 70s in more order.
(edited 9 months ago)
I'm a rock fan, so I'd say the best era was the 70s to to 90s. All the good rock stuff that had been brewing since the 60s really exploded and people did some pretty amazing things. Rock was changing and evolving all the time, artists were very creative people who did more or less what they wanted instead of trying to follow a formula for a hit like people do these days... the 70s in particular were amazing and full of innovation. Quality dropped a teeny tiny small bit in the 80s but there was still some great stuff around and by the late 80s, things started to pick up with alternative rock which really blossomed in the 90s with some beautiful things. The 90s are probably my favourite era, but just by a hair. I ever so slightly missed them but 90s music was the stuff that was playing and ruling supreme in my childhood. After that, things just started to slowly but surely slip away.

Quick Reply

Latest