The Student Room Group

Career Paths with A level Psychology, Business studies, Media and Sociology?

Hi , I am about to start my courses this Monday, and I just wanted to know if I was 100% sure I want to do these course because when I chose them I didn't really think about them and people are telling me that A level media is not respected by universities. I just want to be confident and fully understand if I really want to do these courses before I start them. I don't really have career plans or what courses to do in university but one thing I have in my mind is to maybe start a business however that might not happen , which is why I want to have other options. Thanks.
Psychology and Sociology are considered academic subject

Business Studies and Media are considered more applied and are called vocational.

So if you want to apply to Oxbridge then people are advised not to do the vocational subjects.

It really does help your career to have a good idea of what you want to do.. so to be utilise your time with specific subjects.

You could work in journalism - possibly financial such as the Financial Times.

Not saying this is all you could do but this is a good possibility :smile:
Original post by jahidhussain
Hi , I am about to start my courses this Monday, and I just wanted to know if I was 100% sure I want to do these course because when I chose them I didn't really think about them and people are telling me that A level media is not respected by universities. I just want to be confident and fully understand if I really want to do these courses before I start them. I don't really have career plans or what courses to do in university but one thing I have in my mind is to maybe start a business however that might not happen , which is why I want to have other options. Thanks.

If you are happy with your set of A levels then don't take notice of what other people think. Unless you are applying for Oxford/Cambridge then it doesn't really matter :redface:

With your A levels there is loads of different degrees you could do.

Social science subjects such as Criminology, Sociology, Psychology, Politics, international Relations, Anthropology, International Development

Humanities/Creative arts subjects such as Journalism, Media, Communication and Culture, Philosophy, Law

Also many different types of Business/Management/Accounting degrees

You really need to think of what type of courses you are interested in and do your own research as is hundreds of degrees you could do. Using sites like UCAS degree search and Whatuni.com is very useful :smile:

As for careers i'm not too sure what you can do without a degree, but sure there is many media, Accounting or business type internships that you would be eligible for, which could help if you want to go into setting up your own business :redface:
Reply 3
Original post by ~ Aquamarine ~
If you are happy with your set of A levels then don't take notice of what other people think. Unless you are applying for Oxford/Cambridge then it doesn't really matter :redface:

With your A levels there is loads of different degrees you could do.

Social science subjects such as Criminology, Sociology, Psychology, Politics, international Relations, Anthropology, International Development

Humanities/Creative arts subjects such as Journalism, Media, Communication and Culture, Philosophy, Law

Also many different types of Business/Management/Accounting degrees

You really need to think of what type of courses you are interested in and do your own research as is hundreds of degrees you could do. Using sites like UCAS degree search and Whatuni.com is very useful :smile:

As for careers i'm not too sure what you can do without a degree, but sure there is many media, Accounting or business type internships that you would be eligible for, which could help if you want to go into setting up your own business :redface:

thank u

Quick Reply

Latest