The Student Room Group

Dropping out of Sixth Form College

Hi so im in my first month of being a year 13 and i am strongly considering dropping out despite having already done a year.

I feel like the A-Levels i am doing are pointless, i originally passed all my GCSE's but didn't hit the grade requirements to get into the college so i have ended up doing A-Levels that i didn't choose. These A-levels being Film studies, Media Studies and also a BTEC business course.

I strongly dislike my subjects, they're not what i wanted to study and i really don't like being in the lessons for them but i sorta toned out the first year and got by. I had no exams the end of that year so i did pretty much no work, i felt like if i had my exams now i would fail them.

It is also extremely taxing on my mental health, i thought going to college would mean i make new friends that have similar interests but ive barely made any friends atall and the ones i do have don't share similar interests. I changed the way i dress for this year and the friends i do have have shown a disrespect for the new way i dress because its a bit more alternative and indie i guess. I dont like the social aspect of college essentially.

I really just dislike college and the academic lifestyle that i currently have, my teachers always seem rude, i have no friends, i strongly dislike the subject matter and find it hard to focus and all of this combined is making me really down.

That being said should i drop out and join the RAF? I eventually like the idea of going to Uni but i feel like an access course when im over 19 is a better option for me as A-levels are taxing me on my mental health.

I think the prospect of being in the military and that lifestyle could be really good for me aswell as keeping up with my fitness, i also think being trained as an engineer would be a great career path.

Like i say i do want to go to uni eventually, maybe i wont if i enjoy the military but its still a plan of mine to experience university. Im still not sure what i would study so i feel like leaving that up for me to decide later when doing an access course might be better than restricting myself based on the subjects im currently studying.

My only concern and i guess my question is that is it worth dropping out now and giving up my A-Levels or joining the RAF after sixth form and putting up with it?
Reply 1
Your situation sounds a lot like mine Im doing my a-levels at a secondary school sixth form highschool, the people are not my people, my subjects, sociology, psychology, and philosophy are a little too academic for me and I have no interest in pursuing them as a career at all. I want to drop out and do an aprenticeship, I hate school and want to start something new and a step up as I see it. But my parents don't want me too, I'm sure they would understand.

The school environment is depressing, I too submitted an application to join the forces, I chose navy to travel and be at sea. also to train as an engineer. The subjects at school have no meaning, I like you coasted my way through the first year by getting by on the bare minimum. I think leaving would be the best thing for me.

Do you have any reasons that's stopping you from dropping out, mine are just fears that have been drilled into me by my parents.
Reply 2
Well done for being so objective about the situation. I would add the Btec Business is very useful towards learning accounts and teaching many aspects how to run a Business.

Engineering is another area which is very employable and maybe an apprenticeship would be suitable. I did a year of the wrong A levels so did not go back, took a job as a Vehicle Tech and went day release at college. Any engineering field once you get to Level 3 opens your career to higher pay and career roles. I became Supervisor and Manager, they supported training to a degree. No expensive fees to add.

The military would have all that too. I know someone who joined as a truck driver and is now an officer.
Reply 3
Sounds alot similar to what im dealing with, likewise the only thing thats stopping me is my parents who are also drilling fears of regret but they will let me if i really want to
Reply 4
Im just seeing the 'dropping out' as finally realising this was not the right stepping stone for me. And an apprenticeship in Building services estimation was.
Reply 5
Original post by 17wiatert
Im just seeing the 'dropping out' as finally realising this was not the right stepping stone for me. And an apprenticeship in Building services estimation was.

i think the exact same way, hope you decide whats best for you and hope it all works out mate

Quick Reply

Latest