The Student Room Group

Ucas application 2024

So I've recently applied for a couple of business /management and marketing however I still have one choice I can use . I love even though I'm business minded I love being creative.

I've found a couple of degrees which combine marketing and media or communications and a couple with fashion.
I was wondering if media combined with a marketing degree would offer some creatively as well as creative job prospects. I get media is different from art or fashion but the ultimate end career goal would be to get into creative or art direction.

I have tried asking family they stay not to worry too much about getting a degree or just to go for an fine art degree but never fashion and to keep art /fashion as a hobby. When I say about starting a business it feels like no one is taking me serious. I just know that wirh creative degrees you either work hard and make it or you break or go into teaching which would be my worse nightmare.

Although i have art and design based a levels it didnt focus on fashion , did photography two and content creation once.
Reply 1
Original post by Rose_99
So I've recently applied for a couple of business /management and marketing however I still have one choice I can use . I love even though I'm business minded I love being creative.

I've found a couple of degrees which combine marketing and media or communications and a couple with fashion.
I was wondering if media combined with a marketing degree would offer some creatively as well as creative job prospects. I get media is different from art or fashion but the ultimate end career goal would be to get into creative or art direction.

I have tried asking family they stay not to worry too much about getting a degree or just to go for an fine art degree but never fashion and to keep art /fashion as a hobby. When I say about starting a business it feels like no one is taking me serious. I just know that wirh creative degrees you either work hard and make it or you break or go into teaching which would be my worse nightmare.

Although i have art and design based a levels it didnt focus on fashion , did photography two and content creation once.

Also I love content creation , making vids , really interested in advertising, love fashion , not super into journalism , graphics is okay, haven't had a lot of experience editing.

I have level 3s in art and design ( fine art and jewelery making mainly ) and social sciences ( biology modules, mainly psychology modules and some sociology modules)
Reply 2
Hi! I currently study fashion communications and business studies as a diploma and I’m about to study it at uni! It’s a great course and extremely creative, you’ll learn all about what it takes to run a business for sure.
I’ve learnt about job roles in businesses I didn’t know existed and we basically trail being each one. I’ve created my own magazines, I’ve created/designed clothing, I’ve done journalism and learning about buyers. It covers so so much it’s fascinating and opens a lot of paths
Let me know if you’d any specific info! ❤️
Original post by Rose_99

It sounds as though you’d benefit from some impartial career guidance. If you have access to one through your school or college, I’d advise making an appointment. In the meantime I write articles for creatives and those looking to become a freelancer or start a business. Try this post to begin with, which explores becoming a freelancer and you’ll also find other helpful articles; https://www.reflectionscareercoaching.co.uk/post/freelancer-websites
(edited 2 months ago)
Hello,

It can be intimidating to feel like you have to make the perfect choice that will determine the trajectory of your entire life. The pressure to pick the right university course can be overwhelming, but the truth is that even after graduation, your future will continue to evolve and change. Many people navigate various career paths and roles throughout their lives.
University is a fantastic place for you to explore your skills, research and passions within a chosen subject. Although some degrees may lead to a direct career pathway, many equip you with transferable skills that can be applied to any industry. Therefore, it is always advisable to choose a course that you are passionate about studying for at least three years.

It seems that you are interested in the fashion industry, and there are many business careers that stem from this sector that you may not be aware of yet. At Arts University Plymouth, we offer a BA (Hons) Fashion Media & Marketing course. This degree is perfect for students who aspire to work in fashion imaging, styling, social media, branding or publishing. It is a creative and hands-on course that can help you achieve your career goals. I have included the link below for you to explore.

I hope this helps and should you have any further questions, please feel free to get in contact with us!

https://www.aup.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/ba-hons-fashion-media-marketing

Kate
Arts University Plymouth Rep
aup.ac.uk
💻 Email us at [email protected]
☎️ Call us on 01752 203402⁠
📱 Whatsapp us at 07722 744184⁠
Original post by Rose_99

Hi,

I hope you are doing well.

It's great to hear that you are considering different course options before starting university.

There are many courses offered at UEL.

Here is the link of the courses: Undergraduate prospectus request | University of East London (uel.ac.uk)

UEL holds Open Events for prospective students. This would be a great opportunity for you to speak to current students, Academics and also have a campus tour. It can be booked online using the following link:
Undergraduate Open Days | University of East London (uel.ac.uk)

You can also speak to Student Ambassadors studying your course. They can be reached using the following website:
Chat to our students | University of East London (uel.ac.uk)

For further information, please feel free to contact Applicant Engagement via telephone on 0208 223 3333.

-Anisha
Original post by Rose_99

Hello @Rose_99,

Firstly I just want to say, even though you may not know the specifics of what you want to study and feel like there are a few options in front of you which can be stressful, believe me it is a good position to be in. The fact that you are taking time to do research and look at different options available is also brilliant so well done for that.

One course that we do offer that first came to mind when reading your post was our BA (Hons) Fashion Business and Promotion course, you can find out all about that course here. Also while on our website feel free to browse other courses that may peak your interest and link to the topics you have spoken about in your post.

One bit of advise I would give is to try and attend as many Open Days as possible, with a creative course I would say that an institutions surrounding area and facilities would be just as important as the course content itself and an Open Day would be the best place to have a look into that side of the course. It would also give you the chance to speak to current students on our Fashion, Business and Fine Art courses and really pick their brains.

You can find out more about our Open Day here.

I do hope this helps,
Matt ~ University of Salford Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending