The Student Room Group

Trig question

If A, B and C are angles of a triangle, prove that:

cos(BC2)sin(A2)=2sin(B2)sin(C2) \cos(\frac{B-C}{2})-\sin(\frac{A}{2}) = 2\sin(\frac{B}{2})\sin(\frac{C}{2})

Literally no idea where to start, it says this comes under the "double angle formulae" but all the stuff is being divided by 2 :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
In my book (metaphorically speaking) "double angle formulae" could mean you're just doing "sin(a+b)" rather than sin(2a).

They may want you to do the question another way but you can do it by substituting an expression for a in terms of b and c (a, b, c are angles of a triangle...) then using addition/subtraction formulae to get the answer.

The way to do it using "double angle formulae" strictly is to derive the "half angle formulae" i.e. in for example: sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x), substitute x = y/2 and the same for cos(2x). You can derive them or look them up. That would be another way of getting the answer.

The first method above is much faster though :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by arkanm
Hint: 2sin(x)cos(x)=sin(2x)

We have 2sin(A)sin(B) though on the right hand side, no cos?
Reply 3
Original post by nathanturnerspc
In my book (metaphorically speaking) "double angle formulae" could mean you're just doing "sin(a+b)" rather than sin(2a).

They may want you to do the question another way but you can do it by substituting an expression for a in terms of b and c (a, b, c are angles of a triangle...) then using addition/subtraction formulae to get the answer.

The way to do it using "double angle formulae" strictly is to derive the "half angle formulae" i.e. in for example: sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x), substitute x = y/2 and the same for cos(2x). You can derive them or look them up. That would be another way of getting the answer.

The first method above is much faster though :smile:

Is cosBC2=cosB2cosc2+sinB2sinC2 \cos \frac{B - C}{2} = \cos \frac{B}{2} \cos \frac{c}{2} + \sin \frac{B}{2} \sin \frac{C}{2} ?

Or can I not use the regular double angle formula for cos if we half them?
Original post by physicsboy1
Is cosBC2=cosB2cosc2+sinB2sinC2 \cos \frac{B - C}{2} = \cos \frac{B}{2} \cos \frac{c}{2} + \sin \frac{B}{2} \sin \frac{C}{2} ?

Your equation for cosine subtraction formula is correct. You can use this for cos(x+y) whatever x and y happen to be... Now if you eliminate A and use sin subtraction formula you'll see the answer drop out.
Reply 5

cos(P-Q) = cosPcosQ + sinPsinQ is valid for any angles P, Q so you can validly substitute other quantities in their place e.g. P = B/2 etc
Reply 6
Your equation for cosine subtraction formula is correct. You can use this for cos(x+y) whatever x and y happen to be... Now if you eliminate A and use sin subtraction formula you'll see the answer drop out.

Ok and sinA2=1cosA2 \sin \frac{A}{2} = \sqrt\frac{1-\cos A}{2} , so now there is a square root in our answer?
Ok and sinA2=1cosA2 \sin \frac{A}{2} = \sqrt\frac{1-\cos A}{2} , so now there is a square root in our answer?

See above: I gave the hint that A, B and C are angles of a triangle. So try to eliminate A since it doesn't appear on the right hand side of the equation...

Once you have an expression for A in terms of B and C your answer will fall out :smile:
Reply 8

Where are you getting square roots from?

All the angles you are dealing with are "half angles" so there's no need to convert things in terms of A, B etc.

You know that the angles of a triangle add up to pi radians, so A + B + C = pi which allows you to write A in terms of B and C and hence A/2 in terms of B/2 and C/2.

You can then either expand cos(P-Q) and cos(P+Q) and combine, or look up a formula for this in your formula book.
Reply 9
cos( b-c / 2) - sin(a/2)

in a triangle a+b+c = 180 therefore a = 180 - (b+c)

cos( b-c / 2) - sin[(180 - (b+c)) /2]

cos( b-c / 2) - sin[90 - (b+c) /2]

cos( b-c / 2) - cos ( b+c / 2 )

cos( b/2 - c/2) - cos ( b/2 + c/2 )

COS(P-Q) - COS(P+Q) = 2 SIN P SIN Q

now continue ... :smile:
Reply 10
See above: I gave the hint that A, B and C are angles of a triangle. So try to eliminate A since it doesn't appear on the right hand side of the equation...

Once you have an expression for A in terms of B and C your answer will fall out :smile:

edit: Oh yea I need to use the relationship between sin and cos!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
If A, B and C are angles of a triangle, prove that:

cos(BC2)sin(A2)=2sin(B2)sin(C2) \cos(\frac{B-C}{2})-\sin(\frac{A}{2}) = 2\sin(\frac{B}{2})\sin(\frac{C}{2})

Literally no idea where to start, it says this comes under the "double angle formulae" but all the stuff is being divided by 2 :frown:

Start with the addition formulas

cos(x+y)=cosxcosy+sinxsiny\displaystyle \cos\left (x +- y\right )=\cos x\cdot \cos y -+ \sin x \cdot \sin y

So

cos(xy)cos(x+y)=2sinxsiny\displaystyle \cos\left (x-y\right )-\cos \left (x+y\right )=2\cdot sin x \cdot \sin y

From this (RHS of the equation)

2sin(B2)sin(C2)=cosBC2cosB+C2\displaystyle 2\sin(\frac{B}{2})\sin(\frac{C}{2}) =\cos \frac{B-C}{2} - \cos \frac{B+C}{2}

And as Davros wrote use that A+B+C=πA+B+C=\pi

so B+C2=πA2=π2A2\displaystyle \frac{B+C}{2}=\frac{\pi - A}{2}=\frac{\pi}{2}-\frac{A}{2}

and what do you think to

cos(π2A2)\displaystyle \cos \left (\frac{\pi}{2}-\frac{A}{2}\right ) ?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest