The Student Room Group

Chem engineering as medicine backup?!?

Hey! I was just wondering if putting chem engineering as my backup option for uni would be a good idea if i was applying to medicine. My careers advisors said it was a good idea, but i know that chem engineering in itself is also very competitive!! I'd love to get your thoughts on this, should i do it?

I'm very interested in the chemistry involved (oh and i do maths,chem and bio at A2)! Thanks!
It's only a "good idea" if you would actually be happy to do the course and be a chemical engineer :erm:
Reply 2
Original post by tal_08
Hey! I was just wondering if putting chem engineering as my backup option for uni would be a good idea if i was applying to medicine. My careers advisors said it was a good idea, but i know that chem engineering in itself is also very competitive!! I'd love to get your thoughts on this, should i do it?

I'm very interested in the chemistry involved (oh and i do maths,chem and bio at A2)! Thanks!

Of youre interested and would consider pursuing the degree there are no bad 6th choices it's a personal decision which won't impact the rest of your application.
For me it was between petroleum engineering and chemical engineering :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Democracy
It's only a "good idea" if you would actually be happy to do the course and be a chemical engineer :erm:

I do think it is interesting, if i don't get into medicine i can definitely see myself as a chemical engineer, I was just wondering if it was a good idea since it is said to be very competitive and my ps would be more towards medicine as opposed to chemical engineering. It may put me at a disadvantage compared to those applying souly to chemical engineering.
Reply 4
Original post by em.d_4
Of youre interested and would consider pursuing the degree there are no bad 6th choices it's a personal decision which won't impact the rest of your application.
For me it was between petroleum engineering and chemical engineering :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

which one did you chose? they both seem really interesting!
Original post by tal_08
I do think it is interesting, if i don't get into medicine i can definitely see myself as a chemical engineer, I was just wondering if it was a good idea since it is said to be very competitive and my ps would be more towards medicine as opposed to chemical engineering. It may put me at a disadvantage compared to those applying souly to chemical engineering.

Probably better off asking in the Engineering forum tbh - I wouldn't have thought it would be incredibly competitive at most universities, but then again this is the medicine forum and I'm a medic...

Out of interest, wouldn't you consider re-applying for med school the following year?
If you're going for medicine your ps should be specifically medicine, the course is so competitive (as you know) you need to show that you are absolutely dedicated to becoming a doctor. I would even go as far as to say if your heart is not absolutely set on doing medicine, I wouldn't bother at all. But that is my opinion.

Chem Eng is a very different path to medicine and not necessarily an ideal choice for a starting degree if you plan on doing medicine as a second degree. If you do choose Chem Eng, just make sure you like maths! There is a LOT of maths in Engineering degrees, I don't think people always appreciate just how much.
Reply 7
Original post by Democracy
Probably better off asking in the Engineering forum tbh - I wouldn't have thought it would be incredibly competitive at most universities, but then again this is the medicine forum and I'm a medic...

Out of interest, wouldn't you consider re-applying for med school the following year?

yeah, i'm considering a gap year, after which maybe i will be looking at some back up options. I was just wondering about chem engineering because my career's advisors said it would be a good idea but i wasn't quite sure.
Reply 8
Original post by seyrose
If you're going for medicine your ps should be specifically medicine, the course is so competitive (as you know) you need to show that you are absolutely dedicated to becoming a doctor. I would even go as far as to say if your heart is not absolutely set on doing medicine, I wouldn't bother at all. But that is my opinion.

Chem Eng is a very different path to medicine and not necessarily an ideal choice for a starting degree if you plan on doing medicine as a second degree. If you do choose Chem Eng, just make sure you like maths! There is a LOT of maths in Engineering degrees, I don't think people always appreciate just how much.

yup i've looked into chem engineering - i do love maths :smile:
If i do chem eng i don't think i would do graduate medicine
Reply 9
i didn't say i would do any other degree AFTER medicine. We were talking about taking other degrees BEFORE medicine..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending