The Student Room Group

Do you need to be a complete genius to do maths at uni?

I know it's a stupid question but I'm just looking at some typical "entry level" questions such as from the MAT Oxford admissions test and from STEP and stuff, but they look pretty much impossible to me, so do you think I'll manage at uni? Will I still get lots of support or will I just be left alone to do these complicated questions? Bit worried tbh
Reply 1
Original post by lightningdoritos
I know it's a stupid question but I'm just looking at some typical "entry level" questions such as from the MAT Oxford admissions test and from STEP and stuff, but they look pretty much impossible to me, so do you think I'll manage at uni? Will I still get lots of support or will I just be left alone to do these complicated questions? Bit worried tbh

Selecting questions at random designed for applicants to Oxford or Cambridge isn't really a robust guide to the standard of maths expected at a general UK university - most A level students would find these problems extremely taxing!

Which institutions are you aiming for?
Reply 2
No. You have to be incredibly lazy. Because there are no essays or coursework.
No. You just have to have a passion for maths and be prepared to work. :smile:
Original post by davros
Selecting questions at random designed for applicants to Oxford or Cambridge isn't really a robust guide to the standard of maths expected at a general UK university - most A level students would find these problems extremely taxing!

Which institutions are you aiming for?

Ah right thank you! Well I'm aiming for St Andrews
Reply 5

University maths is hard. And so is STEP etc. My recommendation would be that you try as much as possible to answer these step questions as it would help you practice your problem solving ability.

You do get help at uni with the material, although the amount of time each week is less than at a-level. Also the amount of help you get each year tends to decrease.
Original post by ttoby
University maths is hard. And so is STEP etc. My recommendation would be that you try as much as possible to answer these step questions as it would help you practice your problem solving ability.

You do get help at uni with the material, although the amount of time each week is less than at a-level. Also the amount of help you get each year tends to decrease.

Thank you very much, would you recommend regularly working in groups because some people say that's the best way to learn stuff?
Reply 7
No but you have to be in the top 0.001% intelligence.
Reply 8
Thank you very much, would you recommend regularly working in groups because some people say that's the best way to learn stuff?

I think it depends on the person - some people work well in groups and others work best alone. Also if you're working in groups then you need to be careful not to get distracted (although this can happen if you're working on your own) and be careful if information you share with each other crosses the line into cheating (e.g. copying each other's work if it counts as coursework for credit).
Original post by ttoby
I think it depends on the person - some people work well in groups and others work best alone. Also if you're working in groups then you need to be careful not to get distracted (although this can happen if you're working on your own) and be careful if information you share with each other crosses the line into cheating (e.g. copying each other's work if it counts as coursework for credit).

Yeah i get what you mean, I'll keep that in mind

Quick Reply

Latest