The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
amazingtrade
Quality Save (20p for a can of coca-cola)

*SQUEALS* I WENT IN THERE TODAY? Did yoU? :| Isn't it the best shop ever?! Their prices are INSANE. I ended up buying 3 twix bars, 3 cartons of orange juice, and 2 packets of crisps for £1. You could feed your entire family in that store! I love it!
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 21
fishpaste
*SQUEALS* I WENT IN THERE TODAY? Did yoU? :| Isn't it the best shop ever?! Their prices are INSANE. I ended up buying 3 twix bars, 3 cartons of orange juice, and 2 packets of crisps for £1. You could feed your entire family in that store! I love it!

hehe yeah, its nothing to new to me as there is one in Chorlton, my local shopping centre but its very handy having one in the city centre. The prices seem to get cheaper and cheaper as well. Its also known as Home Bargains. There are pretty much all over the country now.

I bought 3 packets of pasta source, a can of coke, 3 packs of noodles and a packet crips, I had change from £2. That lot in Tesco would be about £4.

The poor man who owns the pound shop on Lever street won't know whats hit him!
Reply 22
I'd have chosen Durham... but that's because after a year here, I really despise Manchester...
Reply 23
pepper
I'd have chosen Durham... but that's because after a year here, I really despise Manchester...

There is always one! You are in a big minority however.

So then... tell us. What don't you like about Manchester?
Tednol
There is always one! You are in a big minority however.

So then... tell us. What don't you like about Manchester?

I don't like Manchester because it's too close to/too much like home. But I would imagine it'd be great for people coming in from outside the area. Really buzzing. :smile:
Reply 25
kirstenb
i put woolton, allen n hulme! cant wait to go now! im doin psychology!! i sent my ucas form the other day n was wonderin if anyone knows if we hear anything from them b4 the results are out?

I got an unconditional offer, so I do hope to hear from them ;-)
Reply 26
amazingtrade
Manchester - So much to answer for.... ok sorry for quoting The Smith's lyrics but Manchester is a fab city.

Its not too big or too small. Its big enough to have the big city buzz but small enough to be near countryside.

It has every type of shop you could wish for from Quality Save (20p for a can of coca-cola) to Harvey Nichols, Vivian Westwood and Selfridges.

It has some absolutly stonking night clubs. The pubs are also great as well as the bars. Then there is a fully intergrated public transport system that works well.

My mind is calm, thanks to amazimgtrades rave ;-) I went to Manchester two months ago, and that´s the reason I´m going there!
Reply 27
amazingtrade
hehe yeah, its nothing to new to me as there is one in Chorlton, my local shopping centre but its very handy having one in the city centre. The prices seem to get cheaper and cheaper as well. Its also known as Home Bargains. There are pretty much all over the country now.

I bought 3 packets of pasta source, a can of coke, 3 packs of noodles and a packet crips, I had change from £2. That lot in Tesco would be about £4.

The poor man who owns the pound shop on Lever street won't know whats hit him!

Well that´s good to hear! I mean Britain is soooo expensive compared to the rest of Europe but 20p for a coke isn´t more than I would pay at home. Cool hehe
Reply 28
hildabeast
I don't like Manchester because it's too close to/too much like home. But I would imagine it'd be great for people coming in from outside the area. Really buzzing. :smile:

Well that you are from the Manchester area is obviously not the city´s fault ;-) But I understand you don´t wanna study at home, i think it´s great that so many people in England have this attitude! Here everybody studies where they´re born, (well not everybody of course) it´s really boring
Reply 29
ben2111
Well that you are from the Manchester area is obviously not the city´s fault ;-) But I understand you don´t wanna study at home, i think it´s great that so many people in England have this attitude! Here everybody studies where they´re born, (well not everybody of course) it´s really boring

I am studying at home because I am in no finincial sitation to move out, I effectly subsidise my parents in a way not the other way round.
Reply 30
Pencil Queen
But Durham is crap for research - it only does well in the rankings because the rankings value A level scores (so a university wihch attracts AAA students in General Studies, Physics and History will score better than a uni which takes students with AAB in Physics, Maths and Further Maths)

Manchester has the same rating for research as Durham but far more researchers - 90 compared to Durhams 55. A big department means it's far more likely you'll be working with cutting edge researchers in every part of the subject.

If you say it Pencilqueen I believe it blindly ;-) Even though I think the admissions for physics are a lot harder in Durham. Not that I care, actually I don´t like being around all these smart people hehehe no seriously, I think Manchester is a lot more down to earth and I liked the way people don´t take themselves as seriously as the Durhamers (at least this was my impression from my two short visits)
Reply 31
amazingtrade
I am studying at home because I am in no finincial sitation to move out, I effectly subsidise my parents in a way not the other way round.

I wasnt taling about you anyway but of course it´s a problem, quite honestly its not totally my parents who fund my education but also my very generous grandparents. Don´t get me wrong, I don´t think there is anything wrong with studying at home, most of my friends do so. Especially being from Manchester... not the worst place to be! I´m just saying I wonder how many people here in Germany stay at home even though they do have the chance to move somewhere else, in most cases it´s plain laziness, they just can´t be bothered to put some effort into planning their uni time.
Reply 32
ben2111
If you say it Pencilqueen I believe it blindly ;-) Even though I think the admissions for physics are a lot harder in Durham. Not that I care, actually I don´t like being around all these smart people hehehe no seriously, I think Manchester is a lot more down to earth and I liked the way people don´t take themselves as seriously as the Durhamers (at least this was my impression from my two short visits)

Manchester students seem to be very down to earth, there are a few village snobs but you get that every where. I always have a good laugh with Manchester students. I do wish they would learn that the 86 bus does not go to Owens Park though!
Reply 33
amazingtrade
Manchester students seem to be very down to earth, there are a few village snobs but you get that every where. I always have a good laugh with Manchester students. I do wish they would learn that the 86 bus does not go to Owens Park though!

I think I´m not applying to Owens Park ;-) anyway, you being from Manchester can maybe tell me the truth, some say Owens park is best because social life is great, others say its slobby and you get mugged every five minutes...

thanks!
Reply 34
ben2111
I think I´m not applying to Owens Park ;-) anyway, you being from Manchester can maybe tell me the truth, some say Owens park is best because social life is great, others say its slobby and you get mugged every five minutes...

thanks!
Where are you thinking of applying?

Owens park does indeed have an excellent social scene but so do many of the other halls. It's not the nicest accomodation but you don't get mugged every 5 minutes.
Reply 35
There are a lot of muggings in Fallowfield but simple common sense can avoid a lot of these. Some of fallowfields locals think that the students are taking over and their tiny minds can't get their heads round this.

If I had to live as a student in Manchester than Fallowfield would be one of my top choices due to the social life. However they are more discerning areas with the same kind of social life but not as rough. These are further away from the university and a lot more expensive though.

Victoria Park is also a rough area as it comes under Longsight so in Fallowfield wins on both counts.

There is an old joke that Manchester Student's from not from Manchester only think Manchester just consists of the city centre, Fallowfield and Withington.

I am sure you will have no problems if you do decide to choose fallowfield, just don't go waving your credit card about at 3:00am in the morning.
Reply 36
Daveo
Where are you thinking of applying?

Owens park does indeed have an excellent social scene but so do many of the other halls. It's not the nicest accomodation but you don't get mugged every 5 minutes.

I am not afraid of getting mugged anyway... think I´ve stood more dangerous places the Manchester. I think of applying at Woolton, Allen and Moberly. Not sure about Moberly though. I think catered is cool for first year and it´s actually cheaper. I mean like 20 Pound more per week is probably less than I would spend buying my own food, don´t you think?

By the way, is it normal to apply now, is it late? Just wondering how seriously I should take the "oversubscribed" marks in the prospectus...
Reply 37
amazingtrade
There are a lot of muggings in Fallowfield but simple common sense can avoid a lot of these. Some of fallowfields locals think that the students are taking over and their tiny minds can't get their heads round this.

If I had to live as a student in Manchester than Fallowfield would be one of my top choices due to the social life. However they are more discerning areas with the same kind of social life but not as rough. These are further away from the university and a lot more expensive though.

Victoria Park is also a rough area as it comes under Longsight so in Fallowfield wins on both counts.

There is an old joke that Manchester Student's from not from Manchester only think Manchester just consists of the city centre, Fallowfield and Withington.

I am sure you will have no problems if you do decide to choose fallowfield, just don't go waving your credit card about at 3:00am in the morning.

Yeah i think I´ve pretty much decided on Fallowfield and you confirmed me...
What do you mean with Victoria coming under Longsight (is it my English or a special Manchester thing?? :wink:
Reply 38
ben2111
I am not afraid of getting mugged anyway... think I´ve stood more dangerous places the Manchester. I think of applying at Woolton, Allen and Moberly. Not sure about Moberly though. I think catered is cool for first year and it´s actually cheaper. I mean like 20 Pound more per week is probably less than I would spend buying my own food, don´t you think?

By the way, is it normal to apply now, is it late? Just wondering how seriously I should take the "oversubscribed" marks in the prospectus...

I prefer self catered because I dont like to have to eat at certain times.

And Its not late to apply just get you applicaiton in ASAP
Reply 39
ben2111
Yeah i think I´ve pretty much decided on Fallowfield and you confirmed me...
What do you mean with Victoria coming under Longsight (is it my English or a special Manchester thing?? :wink:

Ok Victoria Park is an area of Manchester popular with students. However it is a little remote and is part of an area called Longsight which is perhaps the roughest part of South Manchester.

Latest

Trending

Trending