The Student Room Group

UCAS Medicine

a few days ago i asked if anybody knew which are the types of courses that i can apply to as my fifth choice (the first four requests are for medicine), but just two people wrote to me and expressed different opinions. as i'm not english i kindly ask again if someone is able to help me finding the possible courses to add in my ucas as the fifth choice except from medicine. thank you very much, i just wanna be sure
Reply 1
Biomedical science is often a good bet - they understand that medics often apply for this as a 5th choice, so don't mind if your personal statement is mainly medicine orientated etc.

If not just go for something sciencey you're interested in - I'm applying for Neuroscience because I like it, and have mentioned it as an interest in my personal statement anyway!
Reply 2
Original post by quirksy
Biomedical science is often a good bet - they understand that medics often apply for this as a 5th choice, so don't mind if your personal statement is mainly medicine orientated etc.

If not just go for something sciencey you're interested in - I'm applying for Neuroscience because I like it, and have mentioned it as an interest in my personal statement anyway!

Hey, Im applying for neuro too! and ive mentioned it in my ps too! which uni are you applying to for neuro?
Reply 3
Original post by LDinel
a few days ago i asked if anybody knew which are the types of courses that i can apply to as my fifth choice (the first four requests are for medicine), but just two people wrote to me and expressed different opinions. as i'm not english i kindly ask again if someone is able to help me finding the possible courses to add in my ucas as the fifth choice except from medicine. thank you very much, i just wanna be sure

tbh you'll be safe with any science-based course. Dont go for dentistry- chances of rejection are very high
Reply 4
in which sense i would probably be rejected from dentistry? does it mean that it is so different from medicine that anybody would understand my passion for it?
Original post by LDinel
in which sense i would probably be rejected from dentistry? does it mean that it is so different from medicine that anybody would understand my passion for it?

You can't want to do both Medicine and Dentistry. You either like one or the other as they are vastly different.
You will almost certainly get rejected from Dentistry as your personal statement will be for Medicine, and they'll feel you're just applying because you want to get into a 'highly-regarded profession'.

You're better off applying for Biomedical Sciences/Neuroscience/Medical Science (not all unis offer the last one). Anything science-related which is not a different profession. You could try Biomedical Engineering though.
Reply 6
Original post by errrr...
Hey, Im applying for neuro too! and ive mentioned it in my ps too! which uni are you applying to for neuro?

nice! i'm applying for King's, you?
Reply 7
Original post by quirksy
nice! i'm applying for King's, you?

Nottingham! Good luck with your application :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by errrr...
Nottingham! Good luck with your application :smile:

Thanks, you too! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending