The Student Room Group

UCAS extra - medicine foundation year

Im currently doing a foundation year for medicine, i did not apply for this through UCAS, I
made an application straight through the Uni. In order to trabsfer to medicine i have to apply through ucas extra. Ucas doesnt present me with that option. How do i apply through ucas extra in this case?
Original post by Nameless Jeff
Im currently doing a foundation year for medicine, i did not apply for this through UCAS, I
made an application straight through the Uni. In order to trabsfer to medicine i have to apply through ucas extra. Ucas doesnt present me with that option. How do i apply through ucas extra in this case?

Have you registered for a UCAS account?

https://accounts.ucas.com/account/login?returnUrl=https%3A//www.ucas.com/dashboard%23/
Reply 2
I have yes, but i cant for the life of me figure out how to use extra or how to even access it for that.
If you haven't used any of your five choices, then you just need to apply as normal. Extra is for when you've used all your choices but haven't received an offer. But for medicine, you have to apply by the October deadline so I don't understand the advice you have been given.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 4
That is usually the case for medicine, however, im doing a foundation year and so the university has requested the foundation year students to apply through extra. Do i have to make pseudo applications to open extra??
Reply 5
Medicine courses closed last October.
That is usually the case for medicine, however, im doing a foundation year and so the university has requested the foundation year students to apply through extra. Do i have to make pseudo applications to open extra??

I think you need to obtain further advice from the university. What they're suggesting just makes no sense, as has been explained above.
Reply 7
Lets ignore that medicine is the course we’re discussing here. How does one access ucas extra? Do they have to have rejected/been rejected from all their choices?
Lets ignore that medicine is the course we’re discussing here. How does one access ucas extra? Do they have to have rejected/been rejected from all their choices?

UCAS Extra is for those candidates who have applied for five courses / universities, but haven't received any offers. So, to follow the nonsensical advice you've been given, you'd need to apply to five courses / universities you don't want and hope they reject you. If they actually make you an offer, you'd then need to decline each such offer. Then you should see an "Add an Extra choice" option in UCAS Hub.

There's lots of information about Extra here and here on the UCAS site.
Reply 9
Original post by DataVenia
UCAS Extra is for those candidates who have applied for five courses / universities, but haven't received any offers. So, to follow the nonsensical advice you've been given, you'd need to apply to five courses / universities you don't want and hope they reject you. If they actually make you an offer, you'd then need to decline each such offer. Then you should see an "Add an Extra choice" option in UCAS Hub.

There's lots of information about Extra here and here on the UCAS site.

Thats makes alot of sense. Thank you!
Thats makes alot of sense. Thank you!

I've only skim-read the first page, but the Medicine UCAS Extra for 2023 thread might be relevant.
Reply 11
I would also ask the UcAS helpline.

Its not uncommon I think for people who are doing (some) foundation courses to apply/ get places in June /July once their foundation course has been passed.

Some of the unis have sections of the application policy on thier websites that give more info on this. Sheffield for one I seem to remember.

But that said, knowing that they do it is one thing, and knowing HOW they practically do it I have no clue.

Well done on passing your foundation year course and hope you manage to make sense of the administration side of things.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 13

I dont think it normally shows in extra as it is a specific route for people moving from thr foundation course to the associated full course. (As opposed to somebody applying for a 6 year intrgrated foundation etc)

But they use the UCAS extra architecture.
Reply 14
Original post by GGIN
I dont think it normally shows in extra as it is a specific route for people moving from thr foundation course to the associated full course. (As opposed to somebody applying for a 6 year intrgrated foundation etc)

But they use the UCAS extra architecture.

what does that mean
Original post by isa04
what does that mean

They use the UCAS system to process the applications.
Reply 16
Original post by George&Mary44!
They use the UCAS system to process the applications.

oh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending