The Student Room Group

Am I depressed or just a wimp?

So I'm not exactly sure what it is but I haven't been feeling like myself since year 10. It was since I fell out (by choice) with my friends who I have known for 4 years, but whenever I was around them in year 10 they just made me feel uneasy, annoyed, awkward and really depressed. Also this was during the time when I was taking my exams early, and I kept on having breakdowns all the time thinking about I was gonna fail in life, never get a job, be a dissapointment to my family and be homeless and all those type of thoughts. Sometimes I thought that I might as well just kill myself, but I didn't and I've never self harmed. Now I'm in year 11 and since then I've got new friends, who actually care about me and its wonderful. But sometimes I can't help but feel down sometimes but usually it's by the littlest things. Whenever I argue with my sister or my mum I just feel like running up into my room and break down crying thinking about how my life is a failure. I'm not sure why my arguments trigger this sometimes because it's just normal sibling fights and normal arguments anyone would have with their mum. But it's seriously crazy because after I've had the break down (after a few hours) I feel fine, I know what I want to do with my life and how I'm going to achieve my dream job. I know I want to be a writer, I've already got an idea for a book and I've started writing it, so I don't see what's the problem

So am I depressed or just being a real wimpy over dramatic teenager?
Don't make it a big deal. But do tell your family if you feel you have problems
I think you may be a sensitive person who sometimes gets overwhelmed by your strong emotion. As you are wishing to be a writer, may be you can reflect on your reactions and write down about them so that you can understand better about yourself? I am not sure if you are depressed but if you need assurance, you can speak to your family, friends or a counsellor?
Give Stephen Fry's autobiographies a go if you haven't already.

I'm not a fan of the 'Richard Branson didn't do well at school' line of crap, but it does take an awful lot more effort to **** your life up than your parents or school will be promising you.
Original post by SuperiorGenius
Man up. Life is hard. If you can't handle little arguments and setbacks then you won't survive when things actually get tough.

Original post by Riku
this is TERRIBLE advice to somebody who may have depression

terrible advice in general for anyone!

look man Il have a wee chat with yee if yeh like

just get the help you need and see the positive in life

I know you don't see it now but hang in there and you'll get there:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest