The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
koldtoast
Oreo?

isn't it a type of biscuit? with pasty white stuff in the middle? :confused:
Reply 141
Yeah that's what I thought? And what do Oreos have to do with this?
Reply 142
riffraff
isn't it a type of biscuit? with pasty white stuff in the middle? :confused:

Oreo is a derogatory term for a black man with a white attitude. Like the cookie, he's black on the outside and white on the inside.
Reply 143
Howard
Oreo is a derogatory term for a black man with a white attitude. Like the cookie, he's black on the outside and white on the inside.

erm- what is a typical white attitude, and what is a typical black attitude?
Reply 144
riffraff

Please read posts 144 onwards before you dive into this discussion. You'll see what I've been driving at.
riffraff

Do you actually not know the answer to that?
Reply 146
FoxNewsRocks
Do you actually not know the answer to that?

no- my parents brought me up without any preconceptions of different races/ genders etc. from what I have seen though, people from different races appear to have the same attitudes as those from other races. They may vary individually but I can't see any attitude that is characteristic for one race.
Reply 147
Howard
Please read posts 144 onwards before you dive into this discussion. You'll see what I've been driving at.

i did- but those are just two people, and an opinion on an entire race of people cannot be based on the reactions of one or two- the amount of data is not representative of the whole population
Reply 148
riffraff
no- my parents brought me up without any preconceptions of different races/ genders etc. from what I have seen though, people from different races appear to have the same attitudes as those from other races. They may vary individually but I can't see any attitude that is characteristic for one race.

Well, you're obviously not very well travelled.
klichey82
Hello.
I'm a 19 year old American studying Sociology in London. And I have a question directed toward the citizens of the UK. Why do most UK residents dislike America? And what are your views towards Americans in general?? Ever since I came to your country, I have had a blast. However, I've noticed 2 very distinct reactions from the citizens of London. Most have been friendly, and sometimes I get stereotypical comments when I am out in the city, sometimes hostile, and I just want to say this:

1. Most Americans my age are not concerned with the war, personally I wish everyone just get along. I'm really not concerned with getting oil, or stealing resources from another country. I'm just trying to better myself.

2. Americans are intrigued by your country and culture. We in general are outgoing, sometimes boisterous group, who sometimes tend to annoy the British, who I noticed are a little more reserved than most Americans

3. We are not all fat and lazy, in fact, I am in excellent shape. My generation of Americans have grown up with money, and It appears that we are uneducated and dumb. I was accepted into this school amid fierce competition, and my parents are paying for this education. I cant help what my family has, and that is the case with most Americans.

I didn't mean for this to be a topic of my venting, but I've been here for 2 years and I just wanted to get this off my chest. I also feel that the media does not help to project a "true image" of our country. I wish that everyone in the UK could really see how America is, from the average teenager's point of view. Also, don't use the past to substaniate your opinions, The Revolution happened over a hundred years ago, and none of us were alive to see it.

Your comments are appreciated.

Bah...i really dont like it when UK citizens and US citizens etc are generalised....I'm a UK citizen...I do not hate Americans. In fact I think they are brilliant. Judging from the ones I've met and not having that stereotypical view that Americans are lazy etc, I really do like Americans. I have nothing against them. :smile:
I'm not going to read this entire thread.....

I am the absolute American stereotype in most ways. I'm Conservative, I like guns, I'm in a rock band...I'm a white male raised in the south. I would like to say that I love the UK and consider you to be my best friends and closest ally worldwide. I like very much to visit the UK and I've always had a great time every time I've visited.
Joseph_SOUTH

Yeah, the Brits have a relationship with hte yanks like we do with the french, little more than a slightly less than friendly rivalry.

That comment implies that Americans have a "slighly less than friendly rivalry" with the British.

If that's the case, you're dead wrong.

Americans have a love for the Brits that transcends all logic and reason. The fact that there are so many people in the UK that don't like Americans makes it even more ironic.
Reply 152
Made in the USA
That comment implies that Americans have a "slighly less than friendly rivalry" with the British.

If that's the case, you're dead wrong.

Americans have a love for the Brits that transcends all logic and reason. The fact that there are so many people in the UK that don't like Americans makes it even more ironic.

i would also dispute that we have a 'less than friendly rivalry'. no american i have met has been anything but respectful and admiring of British culture and its people. the vast majority of Britons appreciate the US for the close values and ideals we share. unfortunately, this is marred by the few.
Reply 153
Ronnie Raygun
I'm not going to read this entire thread.....

I am the absolute American stereotype in most ways. I'm Conservative, I like guns, I'm in a rock band...I'm a white male raised in the south. I would like to say that I love the UK and consider you to be my best friends and closest ally worldwide. I like very much to visit the UK and I've always had a great time every time I've visited.

im a part-conservative, i like guns and id like to be in a rock band. hmm.
what part of the south?
vienna95
i would also dispute that we have a 'less than friendly rivalry'. no american i have met has been anything but respectful and admiring of British culture and its people. the vast majority of Britons appreciate the US for the close values and ideals we share. unfortunately, this is marred by the few.

I'm not sure if it's only a few. In the USA, we can get many of your magazines. I often buy them because I'm I find the culture so interesting. More often than not, in almost every article, you find an anti-american comment. I'll give you an example from a magazine like Top Gear:

"America. I used to like it a lot. There's the much talked-about 'Hihowaya' greetings, smiley service and can-do attitude to the most bewildering requests. I liked the clothes, the music, the scenery, the weather. I even fancied Daryl Hannah.

But then I actually went there and the dream fell apart. Today, I can't disrecommend America highly enough. I've spent the night in 36 states, and not once have I ever found a shred of irony, cynicism, worldliness, common sense, dress sense or a decent haircut."

You would never find a comment like that about another culture in any mainstream american publication.

It seems like the vast majority of people on this forum are anti-american as well.
Reply 155
Made in the USA

It seems like the vast majority of people on this forum are anti-american as well.

Most people I have spoken to on this forum and at home are anti-American foreign policy or anti-bush not anti American, I have some good friend who are american, so people are generally not against the American people
Reply 156
Made in the USA
I'm not sure if it's only a few. In the USA, we can get many of your magazines. I often buy them because I'm I find the culture so interesting. More often than not, in almost every article, you find an anti-american comment. I'll give you an example from a magazine like Top Gear:

"America. I used to like it a lot. There's the much talked-about 'Hihowaya' greetings, smiley service and can-do attitude to the most bewildering requests. I liked the clothes, the music, the scenery, the weather. I even fancied Daryl Hannah.

But then I actually went there and the dream fell apart. Today, I can't disrecommend America highly enough. I've spent the night in 36 states, and not once have I ever found a shred of irony, cynicism, worldliness, common sense, dress sense or a decent haircut."

You would never find a comment like that about another culture in any mainstream american publication.

unfortunately, this forum and the British media are not good examples of common opinion. much like taking a social science Yale-graduate from Boston and pretending shes representative of the US opinion on Iraq.

is Top Gear Magazine related to the BBC?
Made in the USA

Its a dislike of American foreign policy really. Its the fashionable thing these days to be anti war, anti corporation and generally anti conservative, essentially to be what is percieved as a rebel. Most of these people are on the same political and intellectual level as newsround on the CBBC - that kitten bint off bigbrother being a prime example.
Reply 158
an Siarach
Most of these people are on the same political and intellectual level as newsround on the CBBC .

lol
Reply 159
Most of the Americans I've met WERE dumb and arrogant and totally annoying, ando most of them never convinced me to think otherwise (Of course I've also met a few exceptions...).
One of a thousand examples..: My mum, a real-estate agent, picked up her client, an american, at the airport and was supposed to show him a few apartments in Prague.. after about 30 minutes he said:"I'm so shocked! I never thought there were any cars in the Czech Republic!!!!"...this was in 1997.
Or I was in Spain with an international volunteering org. and there was this american girl with us.. for two weeks in a row, every hour of the day I had to listen to shit like: Oh, I didn't know they had McDonalds in Spain..Oh, I didn't know they had multiplex cinemas in Europe..wow, a spanish child..oh look, you can do this and that in Spain..wow, they sell Coke in Spain...Look, a spanish truck!!!..european clothes...and it went ON AND ON AND ON..
annoying? extremly..
And as I've said before, these are two of thousands of examples...

The few exceptions were/are really smart, intelligent young ppl who could see way past their US borders and actually live in reality.

Latest

Trending

Trending