The Student Room Group

Any EEE applicants 2015? Views on unis?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by LeedsEEStudent
Currently doing EEE at Leeds, happy to offer opinion/answer questions

1) How are you finding the university?
2) What is the course like?
3) What are your main struggles with the course?
4) What are the opportunities like with the university, both related to the course and unrelated to the course?
The university has a very professional veneer aswell as strong research but I can't help but think this has given it a free pass when it comes to teaching.

I'm now in my second year and already feel like I've thrown away a lot of marks mainly on lab classes.They're appallingly run, usually by PHD students out to earn some extra money.There's usually a lack of organisation, for example the lab report sheet questions won't be tailored to the practical we did.So you do your best but end up losing marks and learn very little.

Big thing I was looking forward to was coding, specifically Iphone apps.This was sold in a big way at the open day.We started doing it this semester, for some reason they decided to compress the entire 20 credit course into 1 semester.The teaching for this consisted of going to a computer lab for 3 hours, putting on headphones and watching a video the teacher made, this was basically a "How to make app x" So 3 hours of copying and pasting what the teacher had done, and if we had any problems there was a PHD student who hadn't used xcode for 4 years.

This isn't a good way of learning, we were basically told to go read a book if we wanted to learn the theory.For some reason the Apple computer lab is held as some kind of holy sanctuary too, students in there are treated with suspicion, access is extremely limited.As a Windows user I needed those facilities for my end of term project, we were given 5-8 Monday to Thursday and it was closed all weekend.

- Teaching is extremely hit and miss, one teacher I was warned about 3 years ago.She still teaches the same course, nothing is ever done.I had to teach myself all the material from books, again marks thrown away.

- One to one time with a teacher is down to their generosity, not to be expected

- Maths isn't taught as a subject, (On an engineering degree I know) Instead you do a weekly question set using online software.

- There's an arrogance about the place, feedback is given but it's joked about rather than changing things.

- Deadlines are swapped around at the last moment, last year an email was sent on friday evening saying the lab reports for that semester were due on Monday (Instead of 4 weeks later as previously agreed) No weekend access to facilities so again so many marks lost.

Take this all with a pinch of salt, maybe the other uni's I interviewed for wouldn't have kept their promises either.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 22
The university has a very professional veneer aswell as strong research but I can't help but think this has given it a free pass when it comes to teaching.

I'm now in my second year and already feel like I've thrown away a lot of marks mainly on lab classes.They're appallingly run, usually by PHD students out to earn some extra money.There's usually a lack of organisation, for example the lab report sheet questions won't be tailored to the practical we did.So you do your best but end up losing marks and learn very little.

Big thing I was looking forward to was coding, specifically Iphone apps.This was sold in a big way at the open day.We started doing it this semester, for some reason they decided to compress the entire 20 credit course into 1 semester.The teaching for this consisted of going to a computer lab for 3 hours, putting on headphones and watching a video the teacher made, this was basically a "How to make app x" So 3 hours of copying and pasting what the teacher had done, and if we had any problems there was a PHD student who hadn't used xcode for 4 years.

This isn't a good way of learning, we were basically told to go read a book if we wanted to learn the theory.For some reason the Apple computer lab is held as some kind of holy sanctuary too, students in there are treated with suspicion, access is extremely limited.As a Windows user I needed those facilities for my end of term project, we were given 5-8 Monday to Thursday and it was closed all weekend.

- Teaching is extremely hit and miss, one teacher I was warned about 3 years ago.She still teaches the same course, nothing is ever done.I had to teach myself all the material from books, again marks thrown away.

- One to one time with a teacher is down to their generosity, not to be expected

- Maths isn't taught as a subject, (On an engineering degree I know) Instead you do a weekly question set using online software.

- There's an arrogance about the place, feedback is given but it's joked about rather than changing things.

- Deadlines are swapped around at the last moment, last year an email was sent on friday evening saying the lab reports for that semester were due on Monday (Instead of 4 weeks later as previously agreed) No weekend access to facilities so again so many marks lost.

Take this all with a pinch of salt, maybe the other uni's I interviewed for wouldn't have kept their promises either.

Woah, it sounds terrible. What really attracted me was the very fact that it was 1st for its research in EEE, but I was unsure of how much an impact this would have on my studies. Clearly not a lot. Great researchers can be terrible teachers I guess.

Would you say others on the same course share the same or similar views?
Yeah it's definitely a shared feeling, morale is at an all time low.It's not a good environment for learning, if I could write off this year and transfer to Manchester or Sheffield I'd do it in an instant.Unfortunately I'm tied in with the fees.
Is it really that bad? I've applied for the Mechatronic and Robotic MEng as I was really impressed with what I saw on the open day. I've also applied to Manchester, Sheffield and Bath, your review has made me doubt Leeds as my firm choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm pretty familiar with Mechatronics as we share 3 modules, to be fair I've heard the mechanical side of the degree is run pretty well, but my previous thoughts on the electrical side of things still stand.

I'd take the open days with a pinch of salt, most degrees at Leeds involving electrical are under subscribed, and if you think each potential student is worth £36000 they will go all out to get you here.

I'd be interested to hear from those at other uni's, were the promises made on open days kept?
Reply 26
I'm pretty familiar with Mechatronics as we share 3 modules, to be fair I've heard the mechanical side of the degree is run pretty well, but my previous thoughts on the electrical side of things still stand.

I'd take the open days with a pinch of salt, most degrees at Leeds involving electrical are under subscribed, and if you think each potential student is worth £36000 they will go all out to get you here.

I'd be interested to hear from those at other uni's, were the promises made on open days kept?

Hahaha your post made me laugh but i agree with some aspects of what you said esp for electrical labs i found i had a similar experience to you (although im doing mechanical myself).

They will always be those few lecturers who give you very vague information and you end up having to self teach everything by yourself totally common for engineering students at any university I would say :lol:

To all you prospective engineering students don't be surprised if the majority of modules require you to teach yourself everything...it is common for many people to sit in lectures sometimes and not have a clue whats going on :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by buckets21
Hey, I'm currently half way through my honours year (4th) of a Masters course.

Any questions welcome!!

Hi, how detailed was the physics and maths in the course? I want to study engineering but I do enjoy physics and maths a levels, and hope to be able to put them to good use in electronic engineering.
Anyone at Uni of Liverpool? Thinking of this for my electronic engineering course...
Reply 29
Uni of Bath or Uni of Bristol for EEE?

Your experience honestly sounds awful dude!

I don't remember what the uni said during the open day, but Electronic Engineering at Southampton is excellent. The labs are also in the same format, with PhD students there to help, but the work we do can be both fun and interesting (depends on the module of the lab of course...). Our deadlines have not been swapped around yet, everything's been very consistent and even feedback has been prompt in most cases.

We teach ourselves maths and have the same thing, weekly tests, except they're on pen and paper and we can chose when we do them (either a Monday slot or a Wednesday slot). Our teaching is also hit and miss but that'll be the same everywhere. Some good lecturers, some bad ones.

The one down side of ECS at Southampton is that those people doing Electrical/Electromech don't get a lot of stuff tailored to their specific degree. The degree is very much electronic for the first semester. Those other students get to study mechanics in semester 2 as opposed to Advanced programming which is what us electronics guys are doing, apart from that the year is common to EE/EL/EM/EEE.

EDIT: Also our computer labs are open every day until 11pm!
Reply 31
Hey guys, I've heard back from my Uni's (Newcastle, Liverpool, Birmingham, Leeds and Manchester). I was wondering if anybody here could possible give me some info about the courses as i'm struggling to decide which one to form. Also i've got an interview at Manchester so any tips would be much appreciated thanks.
Original post by risaalk
Hey guys, I've heard back from my Uni's (Newcastle, Liverpool, Birmingham, Leeds and Manchester). I was wondering if anybody here could possible give me some info about the courses as i'm struggling to decide which one to form. Also i've got an interview at Manchester so any tips would be much appreciated thanks.

I'm struggling between Manchester and Leeds, one factor you could look at is the scholarships available at each uni? I know you can be part of the UKESF with Leeds and Manchester, which offer you bursaries and work placements.

At my Manchester interview the interviewer was really laid back so you shouldn't worry. The question part of it only took about 10 minutes and consisted of 3 questions, just make sure you're up to speed with mechanics in 1 dimension, sin cos tan and that unit circle thing (where the radius is 1 which allows you to figure out sin and cos of angles).
Original post by lcm1996
I have an offer for leeds:-) I would personally go there or liverpool as they are in top 3 for nursing in england

I don't think that has much bearing on how good they are for EEE. :tongue:
Reply 34
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
I don't think that has much bearing on how good they are for EEE. :tongue:

sorry hahaha! i replied on the wrong thread, im not with it today lmao

Seeing as it's been a while since you posted this, has anything improved since? I'm considering Leeds seeing as it's the only one out of my choices that allows a year in industry abroad as well as normal year abroad.
Original post by OhRickiursofine
Seeing as it's been a while since you posted this, has anything improved since? I'm considering Leeds seeing as it's the only one out of my choices that allows a year in industry abroad as well as normal year abroad.

He only posted it in December, there hasn't really been enough time for much to change.
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
He only posted it in December, there hasn't really been enough time for much to change.

I guess so, but I'd still like to hear more from him.

Quick Reply

Latest