The Student Room Group

Does Feminism still exist?

so am having a debate tomorrow for my sociology class and I just wanted to know some arguments for feminist , as I have been chosen to debate about feminist , so can someone please give me a speech or help me out here. (just started sociology , only thing I know about feminists are that they believe women should be treated equally).Thanks
Original post by jahidhussain
so am having a debate tomorrow for my sociology class and I just wanted to know some arguments for feminist , as I have been chosen to debate about feminist , so can someone please give me a speech or help me out here. (just started sociology , only thing I know about feminists are that they believe women should be treated equally).Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkjW9PZBRfk
I personally don't like alot of feminist movements because often they are so anti-men.... but Emma Watson, talked about equality, not just, men hating pro women everything.
So feminism is basically women fighting to have equality between the sexes. One thing that's still going on is, women fighting to get paid the same amount as men do for doing the same job.
Also in some third world countries, feminism is starting to grow, as more women want to fight for their rights. For example the number of feminists in strongly islamic based countries, are starting to grow...
Hope I helped at least a bit.
I am very passionate about all this, so I hope this will help.
As you said, yes, Feminism is the idea that males and females should be treated as equals - this means same wages for the same job, same social rules and values, etc. There are many different groups of Feminists (Liberal, Radical, Black...) and they all have different opinions, but they all support the idea that men and women should be treated equally in society.
As you may know, however, the word Feminism doesn't have a good reputation - many associate the concept of Feminism to women hating on men, which is absolutely untrue (the idea that women > men is called misandry).
So, about your debate, I can only give my personal opinion and I do believe Feminism still exists (probably now more than ever). Many people struggle to say that they are Feminists because of the word's reputation, whereas actually each person (and this includes both females AND males) who believe that men and women should be treated just the same economically and socially technically is a Feminist. Your debate could focus on Feminism's real definition and the bad reputation the word holds.
English is not my mother tongue but I hope this will help!

Quick Reply

Latest