The Student Room Group

Why is Nandos so overrated?

Scroll to see replies

We recently got a Nando's built in our home town and it was quite exciting because there's very little else there lol, and pretty much nowhere other than pubs where you can sit down and eat a meal. I like that it's laid back and quick service, and not ALL that expensive. If we want a quick and easy meal we'll go.
Recently it's really pricey. But I love the variety of sauces they have. They Peri Peri chicken is very tasty and the food is fulfilling so nothing to complain about on my part. Also the Platter options which we go for when I'm out with my mates, split between us only amounts to £5 or a bit more.

nando-s-peri-peri.jpg
Went there once, it was so grim I couldn't finish my meal, and I haven't been back since.
Reply 23
I used to think the same too and didn't try nando's again for many years. I think you should try it again but get something else. Im not a big fan of their burgers either. I personally get the chicken wrap with cheese, peri peri chips (looove them, so does my son lol) halloumi and perinase sauce......damn I want some nandos now. I think it is a cut above KFC (can't stand KFC chicken) and mcd's. Completely different atmosphere, for example you don't get sachets of ketchup and other sauces at nandos. Oh gosh how could I forget the music hehe.
I had terrible Man Flu on Wednesday, stopped at Nando's for a takeaway on the way home. Half a chicken (Extra Hot) and two sides of Peri Peri chips, sorted me right out.

My arse the next morning though... :frown:
Reply 25
Yep, went for my first and only time about two years ago, over priced average food, crap atmosphere, and it seems the high light is the fact you can upgrade to a 'bottomless' drink. Shame I don't really like fizzy pop and would have rather had a pint of beer....

Daniel
Its nothing amazing. I tend to spend a tenner when I got there (I just get water). I tend to only go there with my friends, cos I know it can handle about 8 teenagers easily. its a goos catch all, though certainly not classy or anything to rave about
Reply 27
KFC is farrrrrrrr tastier than overated Naddross
Nandos is sadly very bland. I wish it was spicier. And having tried other restaurants it is definetly overrated and expensive
The sauce.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
I had terrible Man Flu on Wednesday, stopped at Nando's for a takeaway on the way home. Half a chicken (Extra Hot) and two sides of Peri Peri chips, sorted me right out.

My arse the next morning though... :frown:

Did you need to keep the loo roll in the fridge? I find spicy food really helps a cold like this, though I suffer from the same terrible after effect.
Because chicken.
Original post by moonkatt
Did you need to keep the loo roll in the fridge? I find spicy food really helps a cold like this, though I suffer from the same terrible after effect.

I was at work, it would have raised a few eyebrows if there was loo roll in the fridge :tongue:

I just take it like a man, it's a consequence of eating spicy food.
Reply 33
Original post by Clip
Nando's was originally very very cheap. Then about 10 years back the prices ramped up enormously - possibly this was part of a marketing ploy to get people to like it, or possibly they were losing money hand over fist.

I think originally, it was something like £5.80 for a pitta / wrap / 1/4 chicken with chips and the unlimited drinks

It became more expensive, when it became more popular :wink: My parents say they still remember going to the original Nando's, before it was a chain, and it was really cheap
Reply 34
I don't understand either. I'm vegetarian (well pescatarian) but I've had Nandos chicken before I became one and whenever I'm out with my friends, they either want to go to Mcdonalds or Nandos. Those are the only two options according to them. When I suggest another restaurant, with the same prices as nandos, they complain it's too expensive or posh. So I end up alternating between the veggie burger and bean burger or I could spice things up and get it in a pitta OR a wrap form instead! :rolleyes:
Reply 35
Original post by Fluffay
It became more expensive, when it became more popular :wink: My parents say they still remember going to the original Nando's, before it was a chain, and it was really cheap

Cool. Are they South African.?
Maybe it's because they are so cheeky.
Personally I like Nando's chicken, whereas I dislike KFC's chicken. I don't really rave about Nando's, I just enjoy going there with my friends from time to time.
I've been once and thought it was horrid. I'm not keen on roasted/grilled chicken as it is but this lime and mango flavoured chicken burger was disgusting!
Original post by Strawberry68
I've been once and thought it was horrid. I'm not keen on roasted/grilled chicken as it is but this lime and mango flavoured chicken burger was disgusting!

Anything less than Medium spiciness doesn't taste great in my opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest