The Student Room Group

i Really want to achieve As, Bs and Cs at the end of year 11?

i'm in year 11, and it's only been a month and already i'm stressing over the exams in may/June. i really want to and need to achieve As and Bs as the college i want to be accepted in, i have to get Bs and Cs and As.

English~ i'm struggling with revising, i don't know how to i'm doing foundation and i really want to get a strong C.

Maths ~ hopefully i'm doing higher paper, i really want to get either a A or B or C i just don't know how to revise this either.

Science~ again, struggling to revise i really want to get a B i'm having trouble remember processes and equations and all sorts.

Religious Education~ I really want to get a A or B now, i can easily do the 2,3,4 mark questions but the 6 marks i'm struggling remembering religious terms such as teachings i don't know how to remember that.

Geography~ i'm doing foundation but i don't know how to remember definitions or processes as well same like science.
Reply 1
I've just done my GCSE exams, and am now in college, so I feel I can give you some helpful advice.

For English literature, keep reading through the text and constantly analyse. Write PEEZE paragraphs - Point, evidence, explain, zoom, evaluate. Look for more than one interpretation and back it up with evidence, that way the examiner will be forced to give you marks. Look at revision material on the internet; mrbruff and https://www.youtube.com/user/dominicsalles have great content that got me through my English GCSE.

For maths you really just need to constantly practice questions over and over until you understand them. Use online resources such as http://m4ths.com/gcse-videos-higherfoundation.html for tutorials on all the GCSE topics. Learning algebra is a good first step, don't be afraid if you don't get it - it's difficult to grasp. Look at past exam papers so you know what sort of questions you will be asked.

For science use the textbook - go one page at a time; there is no need to rush, you have loads of time and have probably not even covered all of the content in class. Use online resources such as my-gcsescience and bitesize. With help remembering equations etc, look at the textbook, read them out a couple of times and then try and recite them. Even try and make an anagram, or a saying to remember certain units, e.g. "Watt is the unit of power?". Again, like in maths, do loads of questions that use the equations, and you will just start to naturally remember them.

For RE just make sure you know what each religion's beliefs are about the topics in the syllabus, as well as your own beliefs - that's what the exam wants you to do.

For geography, do the same as science - look at the text book etc.

It's important not to get too worried about GCSE exams now. You still have a long way to go. You probably have not even learnt all the content for the exam, but it is always good to learn ahead as it makes it easier when you learn it in class then. When the time comes to sit the exam, you will feel a lot more prepared than you are now.
Reply 2
Original post by jemima.molyneux
i'm in year 11, and it's only been a month and already i'm stressing over the exams in may/June. i really want to and need to achieve As and Bs as the college i want to be accepted in, i have to get Bs and Cs and As.

English~ i'm struggling with revising, i don't know how to i'm doing foundation and i really want to get a strong C.

Maths ~ hopefully i'm doing higher paper, i really want to get either a A or B or C i just don't know how to revise this either.

Science~ again, struggling to revise i really want to get a B i'm having trouble remember processes and equations and all sorts.

Religious Education~ I really want to get a A or B now, i can easily do the 2,3,4 mark questions but the 6 marks i'm struggling remembering religious terms such as teachings i don't know how to remember that.

Geography~ i'm doing foundation but i don't know how to remember definitions or processes as well same like science.

Exam board and units for Religious studies and maths?
Maths: PAST PAPERS! I hated maths so much, but doing past papers really helped! To them in sections if you can't face doing a whole paper, then get them marked by your teacher and identify and practise the bits your bad at! In time you'' get much better, it does take a lot of hard work though

RE: Flash cards and A3 posters really helped me, stick the posters around your room so you see them all the time and test yourself on the Flash cards when you have a few minutes. Or try making songs to remember important stuff!

hope this helps, it'll be fine just keep practising xo
Go to the exam board websites and download the past papers and mark schemes.

Answer as many past papers as you can under strict timed exam conditions.

Be disciplined - no peeking until the time is up! This will give you invaluable practice under time pressure. Make a note of your mark using the mark scheme.

Also download the examiners reports from the previous years, which gives you an insight to which questions students struggled to answer.

Go back to your text books/ notes/ on-line resources and revise/learn the stuff you can't answer. Make notes of which questions you struggle with and find out how to answer them correctly. This will be invaluable for final revision just prior to your exam.

Repeat for each new paper.

When you finish all the papers, go back to the beginning and do them again.

Check your mark progress - you should find you have improved a good deal from the first time you answered each paper and this will boost your confidence.

By the second pass of the last paper, you should be getting great marks! Final revision will be a simple case of jogging your memory.
(edited 9 years ago)
For formulas and accronyms, try and use rhymes that you can remember easily.

For instance the points on a compass clockwise from north are:

North, East, South, West

I remember them by saying Never Eat Shredded Wheat.

The notes on a music stave:

EGBDF

become:

Every Good Boy Deserves Food.

I learned the first 30 elements off by heart using this same trick.

With maths, try and make associations/patterns with formula:

Circumference = 2 pi r

Area = pi r2
Notice where the 2 and the square went?

Area of a sphere = 4 pi r2

Volume of a sphere = 4/3 pi r3
Notice there are added 3's?

etc. etc.
(edited 9 years ago)

If you struggle to remember words, then try remembering them using something else, like a story unfolding. I know this is a bit childish, but if it helps you remember, then that is not a bad thing:

Water cycle: High in the mountains where streams are born lives the clouds. The clouds love to carry lots of whispy water vapour, given to them as a present by the sea.

Nonetheless, they are unhappy clouds because the wind makes them climb higher and higher up the mountain. So high that they become tired and cannot carry the water any longer. The clouds cry tears of rain all day until they are light again.

The rain falls on the mountain and the little tear drops gather up and soon become a stream. The streams meet and pretty soon there is a river cascading and tumbling over rocks and waterfalls until, tired at the bottom of the mountain, they slow down and finally they get home to the sea again.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7

for maths and science, the best things you can do are go over every single past paper in my opinion because you will get used to the sorts of questions they will ask you and will you will find yourself becoming more familiar with concepts and the way you have to answer each question.

For maths, just do lots and lots of past papers! I'm doing A2 maths and it's still the way I revise it! For English, over the year you should pick up on different techniques from teachers/students etc. and if not then maybe revision guides may help? The CGP books really helped me as I started year 11 on a D and ended on a B. And for science, the more revision the more you'll start to remember and just instinctively use in an answer. Also, revision guides and exam papers are one of the best choices for any subject really, but stop stressing, you've still got 7ish months just chill- stress doesn't help at all!
Reply 9
Original post by jeffercakes95
For maths, just do lots and lots of past papers! I'm doing A2 maths and it's still the way I revise it! For English, over the year you should pick up on different techniques from teachers/students etc. and if not then maybe revision guides may help? The CGP books really helped me as I started year 11 on a D and ended on a B. And for science, the more revision the more you'll start to remember and just instinctively use in an answer. Also, revision guides and exam papers are one of the best choices for any subject really, but stop stressing, you've still got 7ish months just chill- stress doesn't help at all!

What did you get for GCSE maths? ;o I found the CGP books to not be so useful last year tbh. Did you do gcse further/additional? Is As hard? How's A2?
Original post by vd12345
What did you get for GCSE maths? ;o I found the CGP books to not be so useful last year tbh. Did you do gcse further/additional? Is As hard? How's A2?

I got an A in GCSE maths :smile: GCSE math's CGP books aren't as effective as the AS/A2 ones but they still clarify some loose ends ya'know? Like I went the whole of year 10 not knowing what y=mc+c was but when I saw it in the CGP, I grasped the concept:biggrin: And no, just regular maths GCSE and AS is a huge jump from GCSE where there's a lot of new stuff and you need to instinctively know things (trig identities are a prime example) and A2 is a much smaller jump, but gets a lot more detailed and it requires a lot more concentration when working out answers:redface: Were you thinking of doing A-Level Maths?
Original post by vd12345
Exam board and units for Religious studies and maths?

Religious Education AQA B.
Maths Excedel
Original post by jeffercakes95
I got an A in GCSE maths :smile: GCSE math's CGP books aren't as effective as the AS/A2 ones but they still clarify some loose ends ya'know? Like I went the whole of year 10 not knowing what y=mc+c was but when I saw it in the CGP, I grasped the concept:biggrin: And no, just regular maths GCSE and AS is a huge jump from GCSE where there's a lot of new stuff and you need to instinctively know things (trig identities are a prime example) and A2 is a much smaller jump, but gets a lot more detailed and it requires a lot more concentration when working out answers:redface: Were you thinking of doing A-Level Maths?

Yeah, I did maths in year 10 (last year) and I'm planning to do it for A level, but just wondering what its like. I'm doing further/additional atm, so I'll see how it goes. I used the pearsons edexcel books =]
Religious Education AQA B.
Maths Excedel

RE:
Make sure you learn all the textbook key words definitions off by heart. Make sure you know all the necessary content, and work on formulating arguments and writing fast. Some people run out of time.
Practice exam style questions from past papers/ textbook, and revise what you get wrong.
Maths:
Do past papers, and watch videos online, or from CGP maths tutor/maths watch for topics you don't understand. Textbooks are also useful, but I found that past papers helped me the most.

I did Gcse maths/RE last year. I'm in year 11 atm.
Reply 14

For English try www.retlmtutors.com, they really guided me to get me a B for language and an A for literature. I done 10 lessons with them like a month or two before my English exams.

For Maths try www.examsolutions.net go through the gcse videos. Understand the stuff then try to do questions on the things and if you get them wrong go over the videos again and do practice questions on the topic until you get the questions right. Practice is the key.

For Science get the CGP revision guides for your exam board for all your sciences. Make good notes of the stuff and make sure you understand. After every topic you will get questions to answer and make sure you do and similar to maths if you get it few questions wrong go back to the pages which relate to those questions and understand it.

idk about R.E

For Geography get the CGP revision guide for your board and do the same thing I said for the sciences.

Good LUCK! Hope you get the best grades.

Hope this helps.

Start studying 1-2 hours a day from December holidays to Feb. Then from February 2-3 hours a day. In holidays 4-5 hours. You will be fine.
English: Just keep doing essays then get them marked and ask what you're struggling on and take it onboard. Lit, CGP guides are good, but revision methods work the most imo

Maths: Just past papers obviously knowing the stuff helps but questions are the same every year just differently worded and different numbers

Science: I didn't revise my B1, C1, P1 stuff but still ended up getting pretty decently and just did a lot of past papers

R.E: Don't do it so I can't really tell you any good advice

Geography: Just make loads of mind maps or whatever works for you, just making bulletpoints is what helps me :smile: CGP guides are apparently pretty good as well
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest