The Student Room Group

This country's justice system is a bad joke! (sickening story inside)

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/night-Leicester-punch-lout-life-city-family/story-23228296-detail/story.html

What a joke. Makes me sick thinking about what he had to go through and that the rat who caused this is free.

The poor lad is sentenced to a life of pain and misery.

Reminds me why I like carrying knives. Better safe than sorry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

******* disgrace, I mean I'd say they should at the very least make this guy pay Curtis's family compensation for the rest of his life but we all know he'll be a no good waste of oxygen relying on the state while he hangs around on street corners mugging innocent people.

At least he's named (well I hope it's the real name), Joshua Smith from Beaumont Leys, I'd certainly make sure there were posters of the event naming the victim and perpetrator on the walls near where the crime took place...maybe someone won't like his jacket one day...
Reply 2
Makes you wonder what some of these judges are thinking. You'd hope a sentence would be in proportion to the damage done to the victim.
i would sentence the bastard to 20 years minimum
Original post by UtopiaofEurope
i would sentence the bastard to 20 years minimum

Sentence: No skull + no surgery to help them.
(edited 9 years ago)
If you use serious violence , the terms of your sentence and not just the length should reflect the crime
I think if you use violence like this on your victim then once a week during your sentence you should be taken to a punishment room and subjected to corporal punishment.
Six strokes across the back of the legs would do it. It would bring home the violence he had inflicted and make him less likely to commit violence again.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by caravaggio2
If you use serious violence , the terms of your sentence and not just the length should reflect the crime
I think if you use violence like this on your victim then once a week during your sentence you should be taken to a punishment room and subjected to corporal punishment.
Six strokes across the back of the legs would do it. It would bring home the violence he had inflicted and make him less likely to commit violence again.

People would cry about his human rights. How about if you don't want to get smacked six times in the leg you don't punch someone because you don't like their jacket?
Reply 7
Original post by Aj12
Makes you wonder what some of these judges are thinking. You'd hope a sentence would be in proportion to the damage done to the victim.

Surely the sentence should be based on a reasonable intention the accused would have? A single punch to the face would often result in little damage. What happened to the victim is very sad, but I really doubt it was the intended result. I don't think someones sentence should be based on the luck of what the impact on the victim has.

What I would say, however, is that after seeing what violence can do the attacker should get the book thrown at him if he is ever found guilty of another violent crime.
Original post by james22
Surely the sentence should be based on a reasonable intention the accused would have? A single punch to the face would often result in little damage. What happened to the victim is very sad, but I really doubt it was the intended result. I don't think someones sentence should be based on the luck of what the impact on the victim has.

What I would say, however, is that after seeing what violence can do the attacker should get the book thrown at him if he is ever found guilty of another violent crime.

This. It's not as though he took out a knife and stabbed him - punches are thrown all the time without this sort of consequence.

However, his lack of remorse for the man after the fact is very telling of his character. Any further offences by this kid should result in swift, harsh punishment, because it's clear he isn't a good person that made a one time mistake.
Reply 9
Original post by james22

But then you hear stories all the time of people being punched and hitting their heads or something exactly like this. I think it is reasonable to assume that if you punch someone in the face you can cause life changing damage. I think it's made worse that this was an unprovoked attack.

I'm not saying he should be locked away and the key thrown down a well somewhere but surely ruining someone's life like this should lead to a longer term than 6 months served?
Original post by Aj12
But then you hear stories all the time of people being punched and hitting their heads or something exactly like this. I think it is reasonable to assume that if you punch someone in the face you can cause life changing damage. I think it's made worse that this was an unprovoked attack.

I'm not saying he should be locked away and the key thrown down a well somewhere but surely ruining someone's life like this should lead to a longer term than 6 months served?

I think it's also very reasonable to assume that the attack wouldn't have even considered the possibility of so much damage happening. The accused should always get the benifit of doubt in court.
Reply 11
Original post by james22
I think it's also very reasonable to assume that the attack wouldn't have even considered the possibility of so much damage happening. The accused should always get the benifit of doubt in court.

Surely the lack of remorse plays into this as well? If he did not realize he could cause that sort of damage surely he would have shown some sort of remorse in court and not been so gleeful about what he'd done immediately after. I don't think anyone believes you could knock someone unconscious and not cause some sort of major damage.

I'm not usually one for questioning courts and judges but do you think 6 months was fair and just in this case?
The fact that the punch was so hard that it knocked him unconscious show thats the attacker must have wanted to really hurt him or kill him otherwise the punch would have been softer.The more you want something the harder you fight so I believe generally the harder the punch the bigger the intention of harm by the attacker.People like these attackers should be beaten up in public with the people beating them explaining how they know the law and banging on their head about something being evil in there and the public will no and recognise the attacker throwing stuff at him and humiliating.I actually beat someone up once but I only really punched in the stomach because I didn't intend much harm to the person, who was nasty and kept following me and bullying me by impersonating my walking style they definitely deserved it.How about we let the victims/victims family decide the punishment?-I seen it on Star Trek and in some country and it sounded like a very good idea.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dandaman1

However, his lack of remorse for the man after the fact is very telling of his character.

His lawyer said:-

he was sorry for what he’d done

His victim's mother said:-

he showed us no signs of remorse. He didn’t apologise for the devastation he had caused us.

How do you know whether he was remorseful? You have two statements from two people both of whom lack neutrality.
Reply 14
Original post by nulli tertius

How do you know whether he was remorseful? You have two statements from two people both of whom lack neutrality.

I trust what the mother said

Either way screw that guy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Britain isn't a civilised country. There is roughly 3 million violent crimes every single year and the justice system is just reacting. Its not doing anything to deter or protect the public.

The human rights of the public to go about their daily lives without be subjected to this sort of barbarity are never taken into to consideration, only the human rights of those who commit violent acts are.

You can donate to this poor guy here:

http://www.gofundme.com/66hqbo
Original post by ESPORTIVA
http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/night-Leicester-punch-lout-life-city-family/story-23228296-detail/story.html

What a joke. Makes me sick thinking about what he had to go through and that the rat who caused this is free.

The poor lad is sentenced to a life of pain and misery.

Reminds me why I like carrying knives. Better safe than sorry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i am glad people are waking up and smelling the coffee that is the shambles of the criminal justice system.
Reply 17
If anyone hits someone in the face (when not in self defence) they know they could cause serious damage. That talk about "luck" is BS. He should get punished for the end result, not his intentions.
Original post by Aj12

What makes you think that the judge could have done much more?

All judges in this country have their hands tied by sentencing guidelines. All crimes have a maximum sentence that can be given and so the judge would have had to stick to the guidelines for whatever the defendant had been officially charged with.

It's all well and good saying that the Judge should have given him x number of years behind bars but if the guidelines for the offence that he had been charged with at that time wouldn't allow it then the judge couldn't have passed that sentence.

I should stress that in this situation I obviously have no idea what the official charge was at the time of his trial, and I have no idea what the maximum sentence that the judge could have handed down was, I am simply saying that there are times when there is no point blaming the judge for giving what you perceive to be a soft sentence because often they are severely restricted in what they are able to do thanks to the sentencing guidelines.
Original post by nulli tertius

Out of the two, his defense lawyer has a bigger reason to spout BS for her client IMO, she wants him in as good light as people, defence lawyer 101 "my client knows he did wrong, he's so ashamed, remorseful and such like and so he really needs a slightly lower sentence....please lol?".

After all his mother, if she'd wanted to exaggerate his conduct, could have easily claimed he was aloof, smiling, smirked at her etc, no one would easily be able to discount that either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending