The Student Room Group

Imperial, Cambridge, UCL, KCL and Newcastle - do I have a chance?

Hey, I'd love to do CS at one of these unis,

However, will I have a chance?

GCSEs

Maths A*
Further Maths A
Biology B
Chemistry A
Physics B
English language A
English literature A
Geography A
German B
Religious Studies A*
History B

(2 A*s, 5 As and 4 Bs)

AS level

Maths A (100%)
Further Maths A (98%)
Geography A (96%)
History A (83%) - dropped for A2

Thanks
Check their entry requirements. I was under the impression you had to take Physics or Computing at AS . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would say the only one you wont have a chance at is Cambridge. Imperial maybe quite difficult. However the rest you probably have a good chance I would say. Because at Cambridge think about all the applicants with straight A*S at GCSE and straight as at A level.
Original post by Peterchristo
I would say the only one you wont have a chance at is Cambridge. Imperial maybe quite difficult. However the rest you probably have a good chance I would say. Because at Cambridge think about all the applicants with straight A*S at GCSE and straight as at A level.

This is incorrect, to my knowledge.

They're more interested in your UMS, which you've done brilliantly in. If you do well in the interview, and your personal statement was truthful, you'll have a solid chance at an offer.
Original post by anunoriginaluser
This is incorrect, to my knowledge.

They're more interested in your UMS, which you've done brilliantly in. If you do well in the interview, and your personal statement was truthful, you'll have a solid chance at an offer.

Thanks for the reassurance :smile:
Reply 5
Err aren't you a little late for the Cambridge deadline for 2015 entry? Y'know, last week? Unless you've applied to all those already. Your grades are excellent far better than mine, and I've got an interview for Imperial CS (about 90% get offers after interview). Cambridge pay particular interest to UMS scores and yours are very high. Only thing is your subjects are a bit odd. You've got the two most important ones (maths + FM) but no other science or computing. I think you've got a chance of getting in, and your GCSEs don't really matter much. But I wouldn't set your hopes on Cambridge/Imperial as they are two of the best CS departments in the world and you only have two science subjects.
Original post by jake4198
Hey, I'd love to do CS at one of these unis,

However, will I have a chance?

GCSEs

Maths A*
Further Maths A
Biology B
Chemistry A
Physics B
English language A
English literature A
Geography A
German B
Religious Studies A*
History B

(2 A*s, 5 As and 4 Bs)

AS level

Maths A (100%)
Further Maths A (98%)
Geography A (96%)
History A (83%) - dropped for A2

Thanks

Yep, looks fine! Should have a good shot at all of them.
Original post by TVIO
Err aren't you a little late for the Cambridge deadline for 2015 entry? Y'know, last week? Unless you've applied to all those already. Your grades are excellent far better than mine, and I've got an interview for Imperial CS (about 90% get offers after interview). Cambridge pay particular interest to UMS scores and yours are very high. Only thing is your subjects are a bit odd. You've got the two most important ones (maths + FM) but no other science or computing. I think you've got a chance of getting in, and your GCSEs don't really matter much. But I wouldn't set your hopes on Cambridge/Imperial as they are two of the best CS departments in the world and you only have two science subjects.

Thanks,

Yeah my subjects are a little strange. But if you had seen my school's science department you'd understand
Original post by Chlorophile
Yep, looks fine! Should have a good shot at all of them.

Thanks
Reply 9
Original post by jake4198
Thanks,

Yeah my subjects are a little strange. But if you had seen my school's science department you'd understand

I hear you. My physics and computing teachers have not made it easy to achieve, but it makes my application stronger so I did it anyway. (also I suck at arts subjects). KCL have fairly low requirements for CS so you'll get in there no problem, and I'd be surprised if you didn't get in at UCL too. No idea about Newcastle but probably similar to King's. UCL's course still looked really good for compsci.

Quick Reply

Latest