The Student Room Group

My grades

Hi, I’ve got my A level predicted grades, which were not the best I could’ve got. I do maths, further maths, physics and computer science. I was predicted A*A*A*A, A in computer science, and I really want to do computer science at Cambridge. Would that grade be enough? I know that the grade requirement to get into Cambridge is A*A*A, but I know for the fact you need to get 4A*s to have a high chance of getting the offer. I have a gold certificate in UKMT Senior maths test, and have done research and project on AI and cybersecurity, which I have put in my personal statement. I’m an international student studying in England as well.

What are my chances to be accepted in the universities listed below?

Universities I’m applying to are: Cambridge, UCL, Imperial, Warwick, and KCL.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by lheeseung_05
Hi, I’ve got my A level predicted grades, which were not the best I could’ve got. I do maths, further maths, physics and computer science. I was predicted A*A*A*A, A in computer science, and I really want to do computer science at Cambridge. Would that grade be enough? I know that the grade requirement to get into Cambridge is A*A*A, but I know for the fact you need to get 4A*s to have a high chance of getting the offer. I have a gold certificate in UKMT Senior maths test, and have done research and project on AI and cybersecurity, which I have put in my personal statement. I’m an international student studying in England as well.

What are my chances to be accepted in the universities listed below?

Universities I’m applying to are: Cambridge, UCL, Imperial, Warwick, and KCL.

What is the source of your assertion that, "I know for the fact you need to get 4A*s to have a high chance of getting the offer"? If that is accurate, then you've answered your own question, as your predicted grades fall below that standard.

However, what Cambridge themselves say, here, is that "For 2017, 2018 and 2019 entry, the majority of entrants from an A Level background achieved at least grades A*A*A* (81% of entrants)." That must mean that 19% of applicants had grades below A*A*A* in those years. Hence why I'm curious about your "you need to get 4A*s to have a high chance of getting the offer" statement.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
What is the source of your assertion that, "I know for the fact you need to get 4A*s to have a high chance of getting the offer"? If that is accurate, then you've answered your own question, as your predicted grades fall below that standard.

However, what Cambridge themselves say, here, is that "For 2017, 2018 and 2019 entry, the majority of entrants from an A Level background achieved at least grades A*A*A* (81% of entrants)." That must mean that 19% of applicants had grades below A*A*A* in those years. Hence why I'm curious about your "you need to get 4A*s to have a high chance of getting the offer" statement.

My tutor, who just graduated from Cambridge computer science course said that most of his colleagues got 4A*s (can be supported by your source in your reply), so it was an assumption made by me to have a higher chance of getting into the university. I’ve got predicted 3A*s but I have an A, so I wanted to know if that would act as a disadvantage towards my application.
Original post by lheeseung_05
My tutor, who just graduated from Cambridge computer science course said that most of his colleagues got 4A*s (can be supported by your source in your reply), so it was an assumption made by me to have a higher chance of getting into the university. I’ve got predicted 3A*s but I have an A, so I wanted to know if that would act as a disadvantage towards my application.

Well, Cambridge look at each application holistically - so they don't just focus on A level grades. They'll also look at your personal statement, your academic reference, your GCSE grades (in the content of your school), your TMUA score, you interview(s), and anything else they have. So although your A*A*A*A will not look as strong as another candidate's A*A*A*A*, there are plenty of other ways to impress.

I can't find any stats which would establish a correlation between A level grades and offer likelihood for Computer Science at Cambridge. Even if I did, correlation is not causation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending