The Student Room Group

Bad AS Biology predicted grade?

Hi, I know AS predicted grades don't mean much at this stage, but my school uses a company called ALIS that looks at all our data and predicts us grades for out subjects. I've only got my biology one so far, and I'm predicted an E. I think this is really inaccurate, I'm really hoping for a B, and in the tests we've done so far I've got a B and a C. They mainly use GCSE grades, and at GCSE I got;

A - History
A - English Language
A - Business Studies
B - Maths
B - Biology
B - Chemistry
B - Physics
B - English Lit
B - Drama
C - German
M - Thinking & Reasoning Skills

Do you think the predicted grade E is accurate? My teachers have basically told me to aim lower than a B as it is out of my reach, but I disagree with them. Opinions?
(edited 9 years ago)
No. A predicted grade of an E is ridiculous, and it's all because schools do these GCSE score things which predict **** all. I have no reason to believe that you can achieve grades higher than a B. Challenge yourself and prove them wrong.
Original post by Jess_P
Hi, I know AS predicted grades don't mean much at this stage, but my school uses a company called ALIS that looks at all our data and predicts us grades for out subjects. I've only got my biology one so far, and I'm predicted an E. I think this is really inaccurate, I'm really hoping for a B, and in the tests we've done so far I've got a B and a C. They mainly use GCSE grades, and at GCSE I got;

A - History
A - English Language
A - Business Studies
B - Maths
B - Biology
B - Chemistry
B - Physics
B - English Lit
B - Drama
C - German

Do you think the predicted grade E is accurate? My teachers have basically told me to aim lower than a B as it is out of my reach, but I disagree with them. Opinions?

Get an A at AS and you'll be predicted an A at A2 and that all unis will see. Trust me it will look better next year when you do way better than they expect
You know yourself better than your teachers do and should aim for what you want. I think it's pretty stupid of them to write students off based on predicted grades. If you feel capable of an A, B or C, go for it. Of course, like anyone else, you're not guaranteed these results, but you can try your best.
Original post by Jess_P

A - History
A - English Language
A - Business Studies
B - Maths
B - Biology
B - Chemistry
B - Physics
B - English Lit
B - Drama
C - German

Dude who cares, predicted AS grades don't mean anything if you're not applying to uni this academic year. Just work hard and prove them wrong
Most schools use ALIS, and it's bull****. It tried to predict me BCC for my A2's when I had achieved ABB in my AS levels.

Aim for what you want to aim for. Your teachers are telling you to aim lower because they don't want to see you disappointed, but if you truly believe you can achieve a B then go for it.
ALIS is a load of crap. Most of us rushed it to try and get a free period by finishing early, and so it's buggered up the predicteds in our school. I was the only one to get an A predicted at AS in psych, because of ALIS - half of us (9) got an A in the end.

Use it as a motivator to prove them wrong! :biggrin: It's terrible that they're saying 'aim lower than a B' - just shows that they're just trying to get people to scrape by. Lower predicted grades are a great way to challenge yourself. I honestly believe the reason I got an A* in GCSE music was because they'd said I'd get a B.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending