The Student Room Group

Is Further Maths actually hard??

Scroll to see replies

Guys stop scaremongering!

I did AS Maths and Further Maths last year (C1, C2, S1, FP1, D1 and M1) and got >90% in both. Applied modules are easy (D1 is a joke) but M1 could be tricky if you don't do physics. FP1 has a lot of new concepts but the questions are always the same.

Doing A2 FM and Maths this year (C3, C4, M2, FP2, FP3, M3) and so far it's not that hard.
Admittedly I am doing AQA- apparently OCR covers a lot more in FP1, but don't know about Edexcel!

Good luck :smile: I'd say go for it
Reply 21
Yeah I did OCR MEI, apparently there's a fair bit of a difference in difficulty between the exam boards but idk.
Original post by Blobar
Yeah I did OCR MEI, apparently there's a fair bit of a difference in difficulty between the exam boards but idk.

From what I've heard OCR MEI is harder than the rest but I wouldn't know. Haven't looked at the papers.

I did AS+A2 A-level maths last year in year 12 and got an A overall with 90 UMS in C3, so almost an A*.
I got an E in the OCR FSMQ in year 11.

Really I feel A-level maths is just about how many past-papers you can do as long as you have a logically/mathematically inclined mind, as opposed to how one does with GCSE maths.

Doing further this year and so far it hasn't been too difficult, few spots here and there but the X2 modules for applied maths aren't as hard as C3/C4
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Iridann
From what I've heard OCR MEI is harder than the rest but I wouldn't know. Haven't looked at the papers.

I did AS+A2 A-level maths last year in year 12 and got an A overall with 90 UMS in C3, so almost an A*.
I got an E in the OCR FSMQ in year 11.

Really I feel A-level maths is just about how many past-papers you can do as long as you have a logically/mathematically inclined mind, as opposed to how one does with GCSE maths.

I got 90 in C3 and an A overall too lol. I think that's true up until the comprehension paper you do in C4 which most of the time is just a mind **** lol.
Original post by Blobar
I got 90 in C3 and an A overall too lol. I think that's true up until the comprehension paper you do in C4 which most of the time is just a mind **** lol.

What's the comprehension paper? I did C4 poorly tbf , ended up learning the module less than a week before the exam. I did edexcel and it would've been an easy A* if I wasn't so disorganised and lazy until may
If you're struggling to get an A* in GCSE Maths then yes, you will find A Level Further Maths (and likely A Level Maths) hard. There is one person in our Further Maths class who didn't get an A* in GCSE Maths and they got a D at AS Further Maths, as an illustration.
Reply 26
It varies between what modules you take but I feel in general your GCSE grade in Maths reflects your ability to cope in Further Maths A level. I think any sentient being could take A level Maths quite frankly and do well, but Further Maths covers more concepts and modules. For a degree in Economics, take FM as it will always be beneficial but just work hard prior to your AS exams :smile:
Original post by Chlorophile
If you're struggling to get an A* in GCSE Maths then yes, you will find A Level Further Maths (and likely A Level Maths) hard. There is one person in our Further Maths class who didn't get an A* in GCSE Maths and they got a D at AS Further Maths, as an illustration.

Hey I got an A at GCSE :frown:
Original post by Iridann
Hey I got an A at GCSE :frown:

I said "as an illustration". Obviously there will be exceptions!
Original post by Chlorophile
I said "as an illustration". Obviously there will be exceptions!

Just throwing that out there 😜

@OP I think that further maths AS isn't too bad, but the best way to know is just to ask a teacher for a textbook and see if you can loosely grasp things like "complex numbers" and "proof by induction". May vary depending on what course the college offers though.

You don't need to fully understand these as you'll get there alongside the bowl maths A level, but make sure that you can see what the concept is about.

Although proof by induction wasn't explained that well by my teacher.
But best way is to talk to your teachers and look at what it involves. Does it interest you and so on
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi if your really want to do economics at university then doing Further maths isn't required. Further maths is a lot harder then normal maths and maths is hard. If u planned to have a future in engineering or maths at university then further maths would of been beneficial but as u want to do economics then doing a tough module like further maths is not required.
What you need to realize is that when u start applying to university's the unis will have requirement grades, for eg Queen Mary university of London would want AAA, they will particular ask for economics and maths as compulsory subjects and A grades in, but the 3rd subject could be anything. Getting an A in ancient history would be easier and more relaxing than aiming for an A in Further maths. Doing to much maths could also bore you that's why having ancient history instead could be more relaxing. In A2 u will only need 3 A-levels 4 is a overload, and if u keep maths economics and ancient history would be a good combination. Once again don't over stress yourself with the subjects your picking you can always change once you start sixth form. So you have plenty of times. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by Qaisar Khan
Hi if your really want to do economics at university then doing Further maths isn't required. Further maths is a lot harder then normal maths and maths is hard. If u planned to have a future in engineering or maths at university then further maths would of been beneficial but as u want to do economics then doing a tough module like further maths is not required.
What you need to realize is that when u start applying to university's the unis will have requirement grades, for eg Queen Mary university of London would want AAA, they will particular ask for economics and maths as compulsory subjects and A grades in, but the 3rd subject could be anything. Getting an A in ancient history would be easier and more relaxing than aiming for an A in Further maths. Doing to much maths could also bore you that's why having ancient history instead could be more relaxing. In A2 u will only need 3 A-levels 4 is a overload, and if u keep maths economics and ancient history would be a good combination. Once again don't over stress yourself with the subjects your picking you can always change once you start sixth form. So you have plenty of times. Hope this helps :smile:

I would sort of agree. Cambridge marks Further Maths as "Highly Desirable", LSE has it down as "highly preferred", and many other universities have the AS down as helpful. I think he should do Further Maths in the first year and then drop it, but if he doesn't want to go for a necessarily top university then just go for Maths. Either way, don't worry about your A levels they are fine for Economics :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kid_kangaroo
I'm assuming you're in year 13? How's it going for you?
Thanks for the tips! I'm definately going to ask if this is possible. I know it is though because I've just done some research and some schools actually make you do a full A-level Maths in one year and Further Maths the second year. I just hope it will fit in with the timetables :/ It's a big leap... So 12 exams the first year for AS Maths?

Yeah in year 13 now. So far it's going pretty good, the new modules are really just a continuation of what we've done last year. Going to start fp2 soon which i'm dreading because I've heard terrible things about it haha

And no, if you do what you're saying, you'll be doing 6 in the first year, 6 in the second. Personally, I did 8 first year and 4 this year
If you're ok at maths(on track to get an A or A*in A level) then you should get at least an A in further maths.

I did little work for it and got an A in AS level. Didn't pursue it further.
Further maths once you hit A2 gets difficult, whether As is as well depends on the modules you take. I found D1 to be extremely easy (A in year 10) whereas M1 was quite difficult, however if you decide to take physics there is a large amount of overlap between that and M1. I'm taking S1 now and to be honest it's a joke, pretty sure someone could learn it in their sleep.
If you only do it to As I'd suggest doing FP1 (compulsory), D1, S1 to give yourself an easy time. If you're not sure you could always go and talk to your maths teacher?
Good luck with whatever you decide to do :smile:
M1 was simple for me and I did that for maths AS.
FP1 was a piece of cake.
S2 was ok, didn't really revise it though
D1 was my lowest mark out of my whole maths A level but that's because I learnt the module in 2 days :rolleyes:
Original post by suirrel
I'd say you definitely could get an A* if you put the work in. I pushed my baseline of a C to an A over the course of year 11 through hard work.

From what I've seen and heard, Further Maths is only as hard as regular Maths A level, just that because it goes twice as fast as normal maths, it has a lot more work involved.

I wouldn't fret over whether you're going to struggle - my college has entry requirements of B or above for regular Maths AS and everyone's finding it hard, lol.

is this at GCSE!? you can come to an exam without working the whole year and get *s, so easy
Original post by MrJAKEE
I would sort of agree. Cambridge marks Further Maths as "Highly Desirable", LSE has it down as "highly preferred", and many other universities have the AS down as helpful. I think he should do Further Maths in the first year and then drop it, but if he doesn't want to go for a necessarily top university then just go for Maths. Either way, don't worry about your A levels they are fine for Economics :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

*She lol
Yep, the idea of trying out FM for the first year sounds better! Thanks :smile:
Original post by Ellie1257
Further maths once you hit A2 gets difficult, whether As is as well depends on the modules you take. I found D1 to be extremely easy (A in year 10) whereas M1 was quite difficult, however if you decide to take physics there is a large amount of overlap between that and M1. I'm taking S1 now and to be honest it's a joke, pretty sure someone could learn it in their sleep.
If you only do it to As I'd suggest doing FP1 (compulsory), D1, S1 to give yourself an easy time. If you're not sure you could always go and talk to your maths teacher?
Good luck with whatever you decide to do :smile:

Wait... You did your exam in year 10 and got an A?! Well done!
Ok so for Maths I'm thinking about taking C1, C2, S1.
For A2 it would be C1, C2, C3, C4, S1 & S2...
If I take FM for the first year it would be FP1 & Applied module B?

What I just said might be completely incorrect there as I'm still in year 11 & don't really know how the modules at A-level work... Is this even correct? ������
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 39
To do Economics at Cambridge you need to be taking 4 A2 levels. 63% of succesfull applicants had 600+ UCAS points which is almost impossible with having taken 4. And do not underestimate Further Maths it is extremely difficult in the hardest papers such as FP2 and M3. My brother who found GCSE a walk over ended up with a B at Further Maths and a U in FP2

Quick Reply

Latest