The Student Room Group

Sets Question

For number 4 (b) does it read the sum of two squares of odd numbers are not natural numbers? If so can i just show that two odd numbers squared ..... i dont know what to say there cuz natural numbers are wide. Any hints thx

Reply 1
Original post by bigmindedone
For number 4 (b) does it read the sum of two squares of odd numbers are not natural numbers? If so can i just show that two odd numbers squared ..... i dont know what to say there cuz natural numbers are wide. Any hints thx

Well S is the set of numbers formed by adding the squares of 2 natural numbers and T is the set of numbers of the form 2m+1 where m is a natural number.

So the question is just asking you to show that if you take the union of these 2 sets, you don't get the whole of the natural numbers. Therefore you just need to look for a counterexample to the claim that S u T is the whole of N i.e. find a natural number that isn't in that union.
Original post by davros
Well S is the set of numbers formed by adding the squares of 2 natural numbers and T is the set of numbers of the form 2m+1 where m is a natural number.

So the question is just asking you to show that if you take the union of these 2 sets, you don't get the whole of the natural numbers. Therefore you just need to look for a counterexample to the claim that S u T is the whole of N i.e. find a natural number that isn't in that union.

Thanks cleared up alot gotta think about that though cuz i know 42 dont have sum of two squares but i can get it from 2m+1

Quick Reply

Latest