The Student Room Group

good news

just found out i am in set 1 for everything except maths so are do you guys have tips to help me revise and move up to set 1 for maths aswell when we have the exams in the middle of the school year

p.s this is my fist time being in set one for subjects that are not science and pe so happy 😀
Reply 1
Original post by ananabka
just found out i am in set 1 for everything except maths so are do you guys have tips to help me revise and move up to set 1 for maths aswell when we have the exams in the middle of the school year

p.s this is my fist time being in set one for subjects that are not science and pe so happy 😀

Congrats first of all!

I wouldn’t pay too much attention to which set you’re in because you wouldn’t want to compare yourself to others but rather to yourself and how much progress you’ve made. By moving to set 1 for your subjects, you’ve made incredible progress!

For maths, I think there’s 3 things you need to do to do well. Firstly, you need to make sure you understand the content properly and know key rules/facts like the circle theorems. Secondly, you need to be able to recognise in which questions these rules/facts apply and you do that by practicing lots of exam questions (maths CGP workbook grade 8-9 has some great questions!). Thirdly, you need to identify where you’re losing marks and why (is it a silly error, is it not knowing the content, is it not recognising what you need to do because of how the problem is worded/the diagram is drawn? etc) and you need to do something about it. Go and revise that content again, search online for specific problems like that one/challenging ones on that topic.

Check out these websites/resources:
- Just Maths (some challenging Q’s from different exam boards too to give you more exposure)

- Corbett maths (Q’s and videos explaining everything in detail)

- Maths genie (loads of questions and past papers plus other stuff like grade boundaries all in one place)

Good luck!!
Reply 2
Congratulations! The above reply has basically all the advice I would also say you'd need haha, brilliant response, the one thing I would add on would be the YouTube channel GCSE Maths Tutor: they have very informative videos, and some long-form ones that conglomerate things like the '10 hardest questions for x-topic'. Really useful if you're aiming for those higher grades :smile:
Best of luck!
Reply 3
Original post by subbhy
Congrats first of all!

I wouldn’t pay too much attention to which set you’re in because you wouldn’t want to compare yourself to others but rather to yourself and how much progress you’ve made. By moving to set 1 for your subjects, you’ve made incredible progress!

For maths, I think there’s 3 things you need to do to do well. Firstly, you need to make sure you understand the content properly and know key rules/facts like the circle theorems. Secondly, you need to be able to recognise in which questions these rules/facts apply and you do that by practicing lots of exam questions (maths CGP workbook grade 8-9 has some great questions!). Thirdly, you need to identify where you’re losing marks and why (is it a silly error, is it not knowing the content, is it not recognising what you need to do because of how the problem is worded/the diagram is drawn? etc) and you need to do something about it. Go and revise that content again, search online for specific problems like that one/challenging ones on that topic.

Check out these websites/resources:
- Just Maths (some challenging Q’s from different exam boards too to give you more exposure)

- Corbett maths (Q’s and videos explaining everything in detail)

- Maths genie (loads of questions and past papers plus other stuff like grade boundaries all in one place)

Good luck!!

thank you
Original post by ananabka

Congratulations! Obviously your hard work is paying off:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by _Rusty_
Congratulations! Obviously your hard work is paying off:smile:

thank you

Quick Reply

Latest