The Student Room Group

TSR Cubing Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Dylann
Lol never buy a cube that's below £5! It will break before you get frustrated enough to break it yourself. Buy a proper standard cube (they're not fast but they last). Then switch to speedcubes when you're ready

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know, it depends on the cube you get. The only 3x3 I have is a super cheap but it works perfectly well...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by aersh8
I don't know, it depends on the cube you get. The only 3x3 I have is a super cheap but it works perfectly well...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough I guess. My first 3x3 was a very cheap small cube, looked like it would come from a party bag. It broke quite quickly lol.

However once you get a speedcube...everything changes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol I cube quite a bit. Average on 3x3 is about 12-13s. Solve pretty much anything apart from square 1 and bld. But I havent seriously cubed in a while due to schoolwork.
Reply 23
Original post by KongShou
Lol I cube quite a bit. Average on 3x3 is about 12-13s. Solve pretty much anything apart from square 1 and bld. But I havent seriously cubed in a while due to schoolwork.

Nice! Do you use the Friedrich method? Schoolwork does take up some time, but I feel it's pretty nice to just have a cube or two lying around to play with them whenever you feel like it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
Nice! Do you use the Friedrich method? Schoolwork does take up some time, but I feel it's pretty nice to just have a cube or two lying around to play with them whenever you feel like it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup I use CFOP. I still cube some, but just not desperately trying to get faster like a used to. Hence why I haven't improved at all. :smile:

My best event by far is the 4x4 tho.
Reply 25
Yup I use CFOP. I still cube some, but just not desperately trying to get faster like a used to. Hence why I haven't improved at all. :smile:

My best event by far is the 4x4 tho.

Cool! I'm gonna learn Friedrich in the summer, haven't had time yet :smile:
The 4x4 is fun too, what's your PB? Have you heard of the Witeden camouflage cubes? They are bandaged extended 4x4s, they shapeshift and are super fun. Admittedly though they are quite easy to solve once you understand it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
Cool! I'm gonna learn Friedrich in the summer, haven't had time yet :smile:
The 4x4 is fun too, what's your PB? Have you heard of the Witeden camouflage cubes? They are bandaged extended 4x4s, they shapeshift and are super fun. Admittedly though they are quite easy to solve once you understand it

Posted from TSR Mobile

CFOP is defo worth learning! My pb on the 4x4 is about 34s if i remember correctly. But I used to average just over 43s I think.
Reply 27
CFOP is defo worth learning! My pb on the 4x4 is about 34s if i remember correctly. But I used to average just over 43s I think.

Wow that's great! I'm kind of slow on the 4x4 so I never bothered timing myself. Although I do you use cuboid algorithms to fix parity :mmm:
I do F2L, I just got to learn the 150 or so algorithms :biggrin: there are no competitions in my country so there never really was a point so it's definitely worth learning before uni because I'm not proud of my 24s pb. Do you/ have you ever competed?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
Wow that's great! I'm kind of slow on the 4x4 so I never bothered timing myself. Although I do you use cuboid algorithms to fix parity :mmm:
I do F2L, I just got to learn the 150 or so algorithms :biggrin: there are no competitions in my country so there never really was a point so it's definitely worth learning before uni because I'm not proud of my 24s pb. Do you/ have you ever competed?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah Ive competed a few times. I always perform worse at comps compared to home but thats normal :smile: but for the F2L DO NOT LEARN THE ALGORITHMS! Learn something called intuitive F2L, it is much faster and easier to learn to an extent. It is defo perferred over algs.

You will break that 24s pb in no time, getting sub 20 is not as hard as it seems, its just the algs you have to learn that slow people down, srsly, all you need is full PLL and 2 look OLL.
Reply 29
Yeah Ive competed a few times. I always perform worse at comps compared to home but thats normal :smile: but for the F2L DO NOT LEARN THE ALGORITHMS! Learn something called intuitive F2L, it is much faster and easier to learn to an extent. It is defo perferred over algs.

You will break that 24s pb in no time, getting sub 20 is not as hard as it seems, its just the algs you have to learn that slow people down, srsly, all you need is full PLL and 2 look OLL.

Yeah I already do intuitive F2L :smile: I've learnt it precisely because it doesn't have any algs, but sometimes trying to find the right piece slows me down.
How much time did it take you to learn all the OLL and PLL algs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
Yeah I already do intuitive F2L :smile: I've learnt it precisely because it doesn't have any algs, but sometimes trying to find the right piece slows me down.
How much time did it take you to learn all the OLL and PLL algs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good!

PLL I learnt right at the start and it took a few days(I really got into it), same with OLL, which I learnt a but after and took about a week and bit.
Reply 31
Good!

PLL I learnt right at the start and it took a few days(I really got into it), same with OLL, which I learnt a but after and took about a week and bit.

Oh ok, that's not too bad :smile: do you by any chance remember which website you used?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Good!

Congrats on your offer!! Just saw it on the Cambridge thread :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
Oh ok, that's not too bad :smile: do you by any chance remember which website you used?

Posted from TSR Mobile

https://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/PLL

Got thru every alg and choose the best one!
Reply 34
https://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/PLL

Got thru every alg and choose the best one!

Thanks!! I was actually thinking of this one just wanted to make sure :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
Congrats on your offer!! Just saw it on the Cambridge thread :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! Im so happy right now!
Reply 36
Thanks! Im so happy right now!

I can imagine! I'll only knew my outcome on Monday but I'm kind of expecting a rejection since I messed up the TSA exam (1 hour of sleep, straight out of the plane and first time in the UK did not put me into the right mental state) although I really really want to get in...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
I can imagine! I'll only knew my outcome on Monday but I'm kind of expecting a rejection since I messed up the TSA exam (1 hour of sleep, straight out of the plane and first time in the UK did not put me into the right mental state) although I really really want to get in...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im sure you did fine!! Dont lose hope!
Reply 38
Im sure you did fine!! Dont lose hope!

I stopped cubing properly at the end of year 11 where I averaged about 19 seconds. Now halfway through year 13 I rarely cube but still average 25. I use intuitive f2l and then oll pll algs...I know almost full pll and 30% of oll. I might start cubing properly again, any tips to get to something like 15s?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dylann
I stopped cubing properly at the end of year 11 where I averaged about 19 seconds. Now halfway through year 13 I rarely cube but still average 25. I use intuitive f2l and then oll pll algs...I know almost full pll and 30% of oll. I might start cubing properly again, any tips to get to something like 15s?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Learn all the algs, like full OLL PLL, then practice look ahead until there is minimal amount of pause. repeat.

Quick Reply

Latest