Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Applications of Core Principles Of Chemistry is on the 8th of January.

I am doing the exam for the second time and I am intimated by it since I got an E on the first time.

I hope this thread is not too early to discuss the unit so we can help each other for the next two month on this topic.

ReputationRep:
    I am currently doing May 2012

ReputationRep:
    I'm redoing it in january as well as unit 1..
    I'm so scared as i got a D in both unit 1 and 2 :/ (but an A in unit 3)
    I'm actually aiming for an A in these two units

what grade are you aiming for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hadukilami)
    I'm redoing it in january as well as unit 1..
    I'm so scared as i got a D in both unit 1 and 2 :/ (but an A in unit 3)
    I'm actually aiming for an A in these two units

what grade are you aiming for?
    I am aiming for As as well, who doesn't aim for high grades?

I compared my answers with the ones on the mark scheme for Section A (multiple choice) and I already have a handful of mistakes.

I really do not get a lot of the concepts on this topic I hate it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mohammadaqudah)
    I am aiming for As as well, who doesn't aim for high grades?

I compared my answers with the ones on the mark scheme for Section A (multiple choice) and I already have a handful of mistakes.

I really do not get a lot of the concepts on this topic I hate it
    I hate group 2 and 7.. :mad: I just can't seem to memorise that stuff

ReputationRep:
    How is it going for you guys ??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How's the exam? I found it is very tricky..... esp the bond angle of NMg2+N in the last page.... and the mcq where you have to choose from butan-1-ol and ethan-1,2-diol for higher boiling point. I ve chosen ethan-1,2-diol...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsiannotBsian)
    How's the exam? I found it is very tricky..... esp the bond angle of NMg2+N in the last page.... and the mcq where you have to choose from butan-1-ol and ethan-1,2-diol for higher boiling point. I ve chosen ethan-1,2-diol...
    it was tricky..i chose 1,2-diol as well.

ReputationRep:
    i have a few questions i wasnt sure of..
    1. what was the purpose of A in the fractional distillation of the oxidation of the primary alcohol?
    I wrote that it was for any unoxidised ethanol to escape (?)

2. Was the test for ethanol/ethanoic acid in the presence of ethanal adding PCl5? observation: White steamy fumes (HCl)

3. The epsom calculation.. i got 6.71. anyone else?

4. Why doesn't magnesiums flame test give a colour? I wrote that not enough energy is emmitted in..idek

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salmaelserafi)
    1. what was the purpose of A in the fractional distillation of the oxidation of the primary alcohol?

2. Was the test for ethanol/ethanoic acid in the presence of ethanal adding PCl5? observation: White steamy fumes (HCl)

4. Why doesn't magnesiums flame test give a colour? I wrote that not enough energy is emmitted in..idek
    1.I wrote that it was there so that the pressure does not build up...
    2. I wrote PCl5 and Steamy Fumes (Y)
    3. i didn't understand that correctly:/
    4. It does emit but it's not visible i don't know what else to write..

Overall it was really really TOUGH! :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salmaelserafi)

1- I wrote to prevent pressure build up.
    2- That's correct.
    3- I think that's about the correct value, I got the answer and forgot to write it down :/
    4- The energy emitted by the electron returning to ground state in Mg does not correspond to a wavelength of light in the visible colour spectrum.

The bond angle for an Mg ion and 4 N on the same plane should be 90, I think but I only realized that during the last few seconds. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thymolphthalein)
    1- I wrote to prevent pressure build up.
    2- That's correct.
    3- I think that's about the correct value, I got the answer and forgot to write it down :/
    4- The energy emitted by the electron returning to ground state in Mg does not correspond to a wavelength of light in the visible colour spectrum.

The bond angle for an Mg ion and 4 N on the same plane should be 90, I think but I only realized that during the last few seconds. :/
    Yeah , i wrote exactly that.
    Also the oxidation of the alcohol to carboxylic acid was that you had to use 2[O] ----> carboxylic acid + water

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lallana 11)
    Yeah , i wrote exactly that.
    Also the oxidation of the alcohol to carboxylic acid was that you had to use 2[O] ----> carboxylic acid + water
    You seem to have done alright.
    I did a lot of things correctly and then just went right ahead and messed up by changing my answers. Should learn to trust my initial instincts. :dry:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 10, 2015

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.