The Student Room Group

Chemistry Unit 2 (6CH02) Thread

Applications of Core Principles Of Chemistry is on the 8th of January.

I am doing the exam for the second time and I am intimated by it since I got an E on the first time.

I hope this thread is not too early to discuss the unit so we can help each other for the next two month on this topic.
I am currently doing May 2012 :s-smilie:
I'm redoing it in january as well as unit 1..
I'm so scared as i got a D in both unit 1 and 2 :/ (but an A in unit 3)
I'm actually aiming for an A in these two units

what grade are you aiming for?
Original post by hadukilami
I'm redoing it in january as well as unit 1..
I'm so scared as i got a D in both unit 1 and 2 :/ (but an A in unit 3)
I'm actually aiming for an A in these two units

what grade are you aiming for?

I am aiming for As as well, who doesn't aim for high grades?

I compared my answers with the ones on the mark scheme for Section A (multiple choice) and I already have a handful of mistakes.

I really do not get a lot of the concepts on this topic I hate it :angry:
Original post by mohammadaqudah
I am aiming for As as well, who doesn't aim for high grades?

I compared my answers with the ones on the mark scheme for Section A (multiple choice) and I already have a handful of mistakes.

I really do not get a lot of the concepts on this topic I hate it :angry:

I hate group 2 and 7.. :mad: I just can't seem to memorise that stuff :frown:
How is it going for you guys ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
How's the exam? I found it is very tricky..... esp the bond angle of NMg2+N in the last page.... and the mcq where you have to choose from butan-1-ol and ethan-1,2-diol for higher boiling point. I ve chosen ethan-1,2-diol...
Original post by AsiannotBsian
How's the exam? I found it is very tricky..... esp the bond angle of NMg2+N in the last page.... and the mcq where you have to choose from butan-1-ol and ethan-1,2-diol for higher boiling point. I ve chosen ethan-1,2-diol...

it was tricky..i chose 1,2-diol as well.
i have a few questions i wasnt sure of..
1. what was the purpose of A in the fractional distillation of the oxidation of the primary alcohol?
I wrote that it was for any unoxidised ethanol to escape (?)

2. Was the test for ethanol/ethanoic acid in the presence of ethanal adding PCl5? observation: White steamy fumes (HCl)

3. The epsom calculation.. i got 6.71. anyone else?

4. Why doesn't magnesiums flame test give a colour? I wrote that not enough energy is emmitted in..idek
Original post by salmaelserafi
1. what was the purpose of A in the fractional distillation of the oxidation of the primary alcohol?

2. Was the test for ethanol/ethanoic acid in the presence of ethanal adding PCl5? observation: White steamy fumes (HCl)

4. Why doesn't magnesiums flame test give a colour? I wrote that not enough energy is emmitted in..idek

1.I wrote that it was there so that the pressure does not build up...
2. I wrote PCl5 and Steamy Fumes (Y)
3. i didn't understand that correctly:/
4. It does emit but it's not visible i don't know what else to write..

Overall it was really really TOUGH! :/
Original post by salmaelserafi

1- I wrote to prevent pressure build up.
2- That's correct.
3- I think that's about the correct value, I got the answer and forgot to write it down :/
4- The energy emitted by the electron returning to ground state in Mg does not correspond to a wavelength of light in the visible colour spectrum.

The bond angle for an Mg ion and 4 N on the same plane should be 90, I think but I only realized that during the last few seconds. :/
Original post by thymolphthalein
1- I wrote to prevent pressure build up.
2- That's correct.
3- I think that's about the correct value, I got the answer and forgot to write it down :/
4- The energy emitted by the electron returning to ground state in Mg does not correspond to a wavelength of light in the visible colour spectrum.

The bond angle for an Mg ion and 4 N on the same plane should be 90, I think but I only realized that during the last few seconds. :/

Yeah , i wrote exactly that.
Also the oxidation of the alcohol to carboxylic acid was that you had to use 2[O] ----> carboxylic acid + water
Original post by Lallana 11
Yeah , i wrote exactly that.
Also the oxidation of the alcohol to carboxylic acid was that you had to use 2[O] ----> carboxylic acid + water

You seem to have done alright. :biggrin:
I did a lot of things correctly and then just went right ahead and messed up by changing my answers. Should learn to trust my initial instincts. :dry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending