The Student Room Group

Entry requirements university of Hertfordshire

Does anyone get the entry requirements for Pharmacy for BTEC in university of Hertfordshire I’ve emailed them twice but they haven’t really responded
It says must study 12 chemistry units but I only do 12 units in total? Does this have a second meaning
Original post by Rinawntr
Does anyone get the entry requirements for Pharmacy for BTEC in university of Hertfordshire I’ve emailed them twice but they haven’t really responded
It says must study 12 chemistry units but I only do 12 units in total? Does this have a second meaning

Are you taking a BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Science? Both the size (Extended Diploma) and subject (Applied Science) are important here.

Or are you perhaps taking multiple smaller BTECs (e.g. Extended Certificates, or Foundation Diplomas)?

You can see from page 4 of from the specification that the Extended Diploma in Applied Science contains 13 units. This is the only BTEC qualification they accept for Pharmacy.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia

Are you taking a BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Science? Both the size (Extended Diploma) and subject (Applied Science) are important here.

Or are you perhaps taking multiple smaller BTECs (e.g. Extended Certificates, or Foundation Diplomas)?

You can see from page 4 of from the specification that the Extended Diploma in Applied Science contains 13 units. This is the only BTEC qualification they accept for Pharmacy.

And I just counted and I actually do 14 but does this mean I need to get merit in at least 12 of my units?

I do
Unit 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,23,17,13,14,21,23
And I just counted and I actually do 14 but does this mean I need to get merit in at least 12 of my units?

I do
Unit 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,23,17,13,14,21,23

OK, three things.

1. You've yet to confirm that you're doing a BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Science. As I said above, both the size (Extended Diploma) and subject (Applied Science) are important here.

2. The BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Science is comprised of exactly 13 units. Not 12. Not 14. As I said above, this is made clear on page 4 of the specification, which I provided a link to. Here is a screenshot of that information:

BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Science - Summary of Units.JPG

3. Yes. They have three requirements (here): (a) it must be a BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Science, (b) you must achieve an overall grade of DDM - DDD (the lower end of that range is likely for contextual candidates), and (c) the qualification "must include a minimum of 12 chemistry units at merit or above".

It is not entirely clear to me which they would recognise as "chemistry units". For example, you say you take unit 21, which is "Medical Physics Applications" and " gives learners an understanding of the principles and production of ionising and non-ionising radiation, applications of medical physics, and their uses in the diagnosis and treatment of the human body." That doesn't sound massively like a "chemistry unit" to me. You might need to provide your list of units (once you've established which 13 you're doing) to the admissions team and ask them whether at least 12 of them as "chemistry units".
Reply 4

OK, three things.

1. You've yet to confirm that you're doing a BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Science. As I said above, both the size (Extended Diploma) and subject (Applied Science) are important here.

2. The BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Science is comprised of exactly 13 units. Not 12. Not 14. As I said above, this is made clear on page 4 of the specification, which I provided a link to. Here is a screenshot of that information:

3. Yes. They have three requirements (here): (a) it must be a BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Science, (b) you must achieve an overall grade of DDM - DDD (the lower end of that range is likely for contextual candidates), and (c) the qualification "must include a minimum of 12 chemistry units at merit or above".

It is not entirely clear to me which they would recognise as "chemistry units". For example, you say you take unit 21, which is "Medical Physics Applications" and " gives learners an understanding of the principles and production of ionising and non-ionising radiation, applications of medical physics, and their uses in the diagnosis and treatment of the human body." That doesn't sound massively like a "chemistry unit" to me. You might need to provide your list of units (once you've established which 13 you're doing) to the admissions team and ask them whether at least 12 of them as "chemistry units".

Oh I just realised I counted unit 23 twice im sorry yeah I do indeed do 13 units
These are the following units

I have achieved merit or distinction in all the units I’ve done so far except unit 2
So if I do the same with the rest I should be able to get in right? Because they’re not clear about what exact units I assume they’re fine with any
Reply 5

OK, three things.

The thing is that I’ve already emailed they team but they haven’t replied and my teacher is sending off my application on Monday I’ve also called but not much help all they said was to email the mpharm team
Oh I just realised I counted unit 23 twice im sorry yeah I do indeed do 13 units
These are the following units

I have achieved merit or distinction in all the units I’ve done so far except unit 2
So if I do the same with the rest I should be able to get in right? Because they’re not clear about what exact units I assume they’re fine with any

Thanks for confirming.

Yes. You can only afford for one unit to be less than a merit, that's clearly Unit 2. So all the remaining units must be at merit or distinction.
I can't comment on which they would consider "chemistry" units.

The thing is that I’ve already emailed they team but they haven’t replied and my teacher is sending off my application on Monday I’ve also called but not much help all they said was to email the mpharm team

If they reply on Tuesday, after your application has been sent off, and say that only 11 of your units are Chemistry units, there this will have been a wasted application. :frown:
Reply 7

If they reply on Tuesday, after your application has been sent off, and say that only 11 of your units are Chemistry units, there this will have been a wasted application. :frown:

Yeah I agree but if it’s only 1 or 2 shouldn’t it be fine bc I heard that universities accept people that are 1 grade below I’ll ask my teacher how many of our units are considered chemistry units
Reply 8

By the way I got a reply today & they said I can apply with my units
By the way I got a reply today & they said I can apply with my units

That's excellent news! :smile:

Thanks for the update.
That's excellent news! :smile:
Thanks for the update.

Do you do any science alevls? I want to apply through clearly but only do btec applied science,heath and social and alevel sociology
Original post by Sijensnsnnj
Do you do any science alevls? I want to apply through clearly but only do btec applied science,heath and social and alevel sociology

I assume you meant to reply to @Rinawntr. Their requirements (stated here) are quite clear (as long as you know that current BTECs are RQF):

"Must be BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Science. Applicants with Extended Diploma in Applied Science RQF must include a minimum of 12 chemistry units at merit or above. Applicants with Extended Diploma in Applied Science QCF must have A Level Chemistry minimum grade C in addition."

Your BTEC in Applied Science is presumably an Extended Certificate (equivalent to one A level) rather than an Extended Diploma (equivalent to three A levels). As such your qualifications do not meet their stated entry requirements, unfortunately. :frown:
I assume you meant to reply to @Rinawntr. Their requirements (stated here) are quite clear (as long as you know that current BTECs are RQF):
"Must be BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Science. Applicants with Extended Diploma in Applied Science RQF must include a minimum of 12 chemistry units at merit or above. Applicants with Extended Diploma in Applied Science QCF must have A Level Chemistry minimum grade C in addition."
Your BTEC in Applied Science is presumably an Extended Certificate (equivalent to one A level) rather than an Extended Diploma (equivalent to three A levels). As such your qualifications do not meet their stated entry requirements, unfortunately. :frown:

Would I be able to get in with just UCAS tariff points?
Original post by Sijensnsnnj
Would I be able to get in with just UCAS tariff points?

Although they quote UCAS tariff points in their entry requirements, they also make it very clear that they're looking for a high degree of Chemistry content, regardless of the type of qualification you apply with.

For those applying with BTECs they say "Must be BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Science." and "must include a minimum of 12 chemistry units at merit or above". Yours is an Extended Certificate, and has a total of 4 units if I remember correctly.

Your clearly uncomfortable relying upon what their web site says, so I suggest you contact them with details of your qualifications and ask if they'd be acceptable (if the grades were high enough).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending