The Student Room Group

Should i reapply for medicine???

Hi, I was just wondering is it any harder to get in medicine for the second time after being rejected the first time round. I got a horrible UKCAT score and don't think I did too well on my BMAT either (although we haven't yet got our scores.) I already received a rejection form St George on the basis that my UKCAT score was too low. If anyone else in a similar situation reapplied for medicine due to having low UKCAT/BMAT scores, could you please give me advice as to how hard it is getting in the second time round. I'm asking this because a teacher at college told me it is harder to get in the second time round. However, I would like to have some feedback from those who have been in this situation.

Many thanks in advance!
I think it is harder to get in the second time around, I'm reapplying but re-doing my A levels as well so even harder for me :biggrin: And don't be pessimistic about the BMat, try and think positively :smile: also, they changed the UKCAT so everyone did worse this year, you might not have done as bad as you think, compared to everyone else.
Original post by jav16
Hi, I was just wondering is it any harder to get in medicine for the second time after being rejected the first time round. I got a horrible UKCAT score and don't think I did too well on my BMAT either (although we haven't yet got our scores.) I already received a rejection form St George on the basis that my UKCAT score was too low. If anyone else in a similar situation reapplied for medicine due to having low UKCAT/BMAT scores, could you please give me advice as to how hard it is getting in the second time round. I'm asking this because a teacher at college told me it is harder to get in the second time round. However, I would like to have some feedback from those who have been in this situation.

Many thanks in advance!

No, many people reapply and get in on the 2nd or 3rd application. There are some med schools who don't like to see you reapply to them if they rejected you the first time - I think Barts is one of them, so check the schools you applied to first time; if they are one of them then just reapply elsewhere. Some are fine with you reapplying to them especially if you have done something to improve/address issues they gave you feedback on with your application.

Many people do better on the UKCAT a second time around due to the benefit of experience.
Wait to see how you do on the BMAT, it is almost impossible to tell how you have done until you get the results, and they are compared to how everyone else did that year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by theresheglows
No, many people reapply and get in on the 2nd or 3rd application. There are some med schools who don't like to see you reapply to them if they rejected you the first time - I think Barts is one of them, so check the schools you applied to first time; if they are one of them then just reapply elsewhere. Some are fine with you reapplying to them especially if you have done something to improve/address issues they gave you feedback on with your application.

Many people do better on the UKCAT a second time around due to the benefit of experience.
Wait to see how you do on the BMAT, it is almost impossible to tell how you have done until you get the results, and they are compared to how everyone else did that year.

What ukcat score did you get ?
Original post by Jane8676
What ukcat score did you get ?

Can't remember exactly, it was a while back, it was about average for that year though. I actually thought I had little chance, but I got in. It depends a lot on how the individual medical school uses the UKCAT score.
I'm hoping second time around is better :wink:
I think experience of the application process helps, especially with regard to sitting entrance tests. I sat the UKCAT last year, and have gone up by nearly 100 this year, and I think the experiences has helped.
Many people apply twice, three times and some even more. If you really want to do medicine, don't give up because of one unsuccessful year. If you're an A-Level student, you could have a year out to apply, really focus on interviews and relevant work (experience) which would be great for your app and interviews.

Also, UKCAT scores are down loads this year, so don't write yourself off for 2015 entry just yet!
Original post by theresheglows

Can you do a triple heart bypass surgery a second time after you failed? You might have to do it in the mortuary though because patient's probably dead.
Original post by thisistheend
Can you do a triple heart bypass surgery a second time after you failed? You might have to do it in the mortuary though because patient's probably dead.

Yes, because they are completely the same thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending