The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Lawz-

Yes - indeed, and what do/should we think about people who are happy to see death metered out for offensive speech?

The same that we think of football thugs? Why start a new moral discussion for Muslims?
ForeverIsMyName
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykOv6sWURW8

This would perhaps summarise your thoughts; It did for mine.

I've only recently hooked onto YouTube & I find this particular example of clip rather intrigued.

Since, I've only beeing using YouTube regularly for the past week, I wonder how do we find out more about this particular clip. I just wish to know as where exactly this interview/conversation was taking place. Was it on CNN (bearing in mind the American accent) & beside, I reckon the guy seems rather rude & insulting, which is just BEYOND the pale & hard to trust my ears, since I've never heard anyone speaking so outspokenly. Don't suppose such a conversation is likely to ever take place in British, since such a tone is just so UN-British :wink:
j4mes_bond25
I've only recently hooked onto YouTube & I find this particular example of clip rather intrigued.

Since, I've only beeing using YouTube regularly for the past week, I wonder how do we find out more about this particular clip. I just wish to know as where exactly this interview/conversation was taking place. Was it on CNN (bearing in mind the American accent) & beside, I reckon the guy seems rather rude & insulting, which is just BEYOND the pale & hard to trust my ears, since I've never heard anyone speaking so outspokenly. Don't suppose such a conversation is likely to ever take place in British, since such a tone is just so UN-British :wink:

If you look at the links another copy of the video is up with the name Neal Boortz - he has a website and its full of anti Islamic crap - looks like that clip came from the radio - i imagien the images were added by someone else (Almost 100% surely)

I didn't watch it all the way but I find it amusing he mentions Muslims bombing nurseries in Israel - isn't that better than disillusioned schoolkids killing eachother in their own country - wonder what went wrong in the perfect American value system there.
Reply 183
jojo72
The same that we think of football thugs? Why start a new moral discussion for Muslims?

Perhaps because there are more of them than football thugs? Perhaps because people in Israel, Russia, Bali, Turkey, Iraq, New York, London, Pakistan, India, Kenya, Yemen, Ethiopia, Afghanistan, Madrid and the like arent confronted by 100s of dead and injured through football hooligans?

Perhaps because people are pretty much united in accepting that the behaviour of hooligans is objectionable, while the universal condemnation of the fact that passing out cartoons of Mohammed in Jedah would involve death, (supported no doubt by a LARGE portion of the population) is not nearly as forthcoming?

But again - tell me - would a stance taken by a LARGE number of muslims all over the world that supports physical punishment or death for the people who drew Mohammed as a pederast be morally equivalent to your hooligan example?
Serious debate at this hour? Are you all on cocaine:biggrin:?
Reply 185
naivesincerity
Serious debate at this hour? Are you all on cocaine:biggrin:?

No such luck... quiet night at the cinema, and now in bed...

What kind of serious debate can YOU manage on cocaine? I am suitably impressed.
Lawz-
No such luck... quiet night at the cinema, and now in bed...

What kind of serious debate can YOU manage on cocaine? I am suitably impressed.

I wouldn't know, just speculation:wink:
Reply 187
naivesincerity
I wouldn't know, just speculation:wink:

Sure sure ... I know where you study - I am sure you are part of that "cambridge" thing ... as such you have a 2 8 ball a day habit ... I'm sure of it!
Lawz-
Sure sure ... I know where you study - I am sure you are part of that "cambridge" thing ... as such you have a 2 8 ball a day habit ... I'm sure of it!

Hehe I don't study there. Too thick:biggrin:
Reply 189
naivesincerity
Hehe I don't study there. Too thick:biggrin:

ahh so you just live in cambridge then?

Not cocaine then ... just crack?
Lawz-
ahh so you just live in cambridge then?

Not cocaine then ... just crack?

Yup, my hometown. Yeah ok then I have a crack habit:redface:

BTW, didn't know Cambridge students were known to be doing coke.....
Nothing worse than such bourgeois decadence:wink:
Reply 191
naivesincerity
Yup, my hometown. Yeah ok then I have a crack habit:redface:

BTW, didn't know Cambridge students were known to be doing coke.....
Nothing worse than such bourgeois decadence:wink:

As an oxford alum I have to make fun of them ... I think its in a rule book somewhere..
j4mes_bond25

It's a radio talk show in the USA. You can turn on the radio almost at any given time and randomly flip through a few AM radio stations in any town and in a few minutes you'll find radio shows like this one on the air.

The internet is making the world a much smaller place and if you like the politically incorrect candor of US radio talk shows, you can stream them on the internet. This station is my favorite, especially the Mark Levin show that airs weekdays from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM eastern time.
Lawz-
That's all well and good, but I'm not saying that people who normally abstain from empassioned protests should be protesting, but I AM saying that those who protest the mistreatment of muslims should do so regardless of the person doing the mistreatment.

Not only that, but the point was a broader one of moral outrage and its expression, whether in the form of protest, or something else.

Western leaders pretty much have to pay attention to what their citizens are saying. If I protest about Jack Straw wanting to ban the niqab, or about top-up fees, there's a good chance people will listen. I protest about Saddam killing Kurds, he's not likely to give a (four-letter word).

Besides, Saddam wasn't even a muslim, and he didn't even pretend to run Iraq under shariah.

Lawz-
And there in lies the problem - is it that unlikely that the claim that the Islamic world is prone to ignore its own problems and own contribution to problems when an attitude such as that is pervasive?

I don't know about you, but I find that attitude pervasive pretty much everywhere. People get more upset about outside forces than home-grown tyrants.
Made in the USA
It's a radio talk show in the USA. You can turn on the radio almost at any given time and randomly flip through a few AM radio stations in any town and in a few minutes you'll find radio shows like this one on the air.

The internet is making the world a much smaller place and if you like the politically incorrect candor of US radio talk shows, you can stream them on the internet. This station is my favorite, especially the Mark Levin show that airs weekdays from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM eastern time.

Thanks for the link. I'll surely look into it.

Any idea as exactly what show was it & the nature of the show itself along with what sort of things get discussed in this particular show, in which this Radio guy has a debate/argument with a Muslim listener, bashing him rather ruthlessly :wink:
Reply 195
j4mes_bond25

Any idea as exactly what show was it & the nature of the show itself along with what sort of things get discussed in this particular show, in which this Radio guy has a debate/argument with a Muslim viewer, bashing him rather ruthlessly :wink:

Listener
j4mes_bond25

Any idea as exactly what show was it & the nature of the show itself along with what sort of things get discussed in this particular show, in which this Radio guy has a debate/argument with a Muslim viewer, bashing him rather ruthlessly :wink:

You can go to http://wsbradio.com/inside/shows.html and click on the listen live link and see for yourself. Most of our radio stations are streamed on the internet, so you can listen to these stations anywhere in the world. The only tricky thing for you is to figure out the time zones. Boortz is on 8:30 a.m. - 1 p.m. in the New York area. You are 5 hours ahead, so you can catch him in the afternoon.

Some of the more well-known and polarizing US talk radio hosts are on weekday evenings, but you'd have to be up all night to listen in your time zone unless you could find a station that airs their programs at a time that's more convenient for you.
Apagg
Listener

I'm terribly sorry for committing such a hineous crime :wink:
Reply 198
justfarhan
Oh really?

So what did you expect? Muslims burning a flag with a crescent moon and star on it? Anti-Muslim protests, arranged by Muslims?

Some kind of representation against violence from muslims, is not anti-muslim.
I read the first page, this page and the listened to the Talk Show Host on the youtube link on the first page (who has an IQ lower than his age- and I hope for his sake he has youth to blame for his ignorance).

The TSH is confusing a right to protest and a duty to protest. The muslim community may have a right to protest against atrocities but this does not mean they are obliged or have a duty to protest.
When it comes to simply speaking out against these atrocities, very few muslims would support them.
Muslim on muslim violence is well worthy of condemnation. As is any sort of undesirable violence. And I do not believe that wearing religious goggles, even by those with very strong religious convictions, is at all useful, productive or honest. Thus, when muslims do close their eyes to the sins of other muslims purely because of their religion, this is unuseful, unproductive and dishonest. I believe the wearing of religious goggles is the cause of much of the tension created globally regarding the Israel-Whoever conflict. Muslims vociferously support the muslim state and Jews, Israel. There is no objectivity.
I would bet good money on Mr Random Muslim supporting Palestine and Mr Random Jew supporting Israel. And yet take religion away and we would be unlikely to see such a split in opinions.

Anyway. Away from the Middle East. I feel it is disingenuous and hypocritical or Westerners to expect muslims to decry publically the actions of their people: Do we do the same regarding all Christian atrocities? Why are people not outraged at the behaviour of many Christians in Nigeria?

What exactly do the proponents of this motion expect muslims to do?

Latest

Trending

Trending