The Student Room Group

How much do I need to be earning to move out in London?

So here's my predicament. I've just applied for a council flat as I'd like to move out. I'm currently on 520 a month, will this be ok to move out with? Or am I being completely unrealistic?

I'd only really need broadband along with all of the regular household bills eg water and electricity.
Reply 1
lol dream on
Original post by AR_95
lol dream on

lol it's a council flat, rent can't be that expensive?
If you don't drive, or use public transport, or eat a whole lot, and you live in a council flat in a neighborhood with lots of boarded up windows and knife crime..... maybe? But I don't know London prices so maybe not.
But where in London? And you'd be waiting years for a council flat.
Original post by OU Student
But where in London? And you'd be waiting years for a council flat.

I ticked every borough in London, so could be anywhere really. And I can't remember exactly, but I saw the average waiting times. The shortest was 2 months so I'm hoping for a quick solution in a few months, as long as I can afford it..
be very surprised at an average wait that short unless you have special circumstances. I dont know what London rents are but I think it would probably be more than 100 a week for a room. I think you can't afford to move out unless you share a place and probably not then.
Reply 7
Original post by Entrepreneur123
The shortest was 2 months so I'm hoping for a quick solution in a few months, as long as I can afford it..

You said "move out" which suggests you are currently living within a house. Therefore you are extremely unlikely to get anything provided by the council within the next decade.
You're very unlikely to get anything for years, unless your current house is unsuitable, etc.
Original post by Entrepreneur123
So here's my predicament. I've just applied for a council flat as I'd like to move out. I'm currently on 520 a month, will this be ok to move out with? Or am I being completely unrealistic?

I'd only really need broadband along with all of the regular household bills eg water and electricity.

You ideally need £20k after tax to be able to afford London, basically get a job that pays £500/week and you'll be golden.
You really need to do research. You've got to pay things like council tax, gas, water, mobile, landline, electricity, etc.
Reply 11
Original post by OU Student
You really need to do research. You've got to pay things like council tax, gas, water, mobile, landline, electricity, etc.

These.

You can get a room for around £100-200 per week but it's normally just a small room.
I earn 14k a year. Take home is double that. I can just about do it in Oxford. I do mean just about. Its tight, very tight.

You have no chance mate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending