The Student Room Group

Advise on A level modules. (Edexcel)

Ok so this year I am doing C1/C2 and D1.

So far i'm finding C1 pretty easy and C2 seems fine up to now. However my problem lies with D1, I'm not really sure why but I am finding D1 really hard but i'm always the one in class being left behind and week after week I still find it hard. Now I want to get a high A this year in maths but i'm scared D1 is going to kill my chances of this.

If anyone could give me advice or any really good practise material they used i'd be very grateful:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by I_Like_Maths

So far i'm finding C1 pretty easy and C2 seems fine up to now. However my problem lies with D1, I'm not really sure why but I am finding D1 really hard but i'm always the one in class being left behind and week after week I still find it hard. Now I want to get a high A this year in maths but i'm scared D1 is going to kill my chances of this.

If anyone could give me advice or any really good practise material they used i'd be very grateful:smile:

I find it useful to understand why the algorithms work - have they been fully explained or are you being asked to blindly follow them
Reply 3

D1 is an amazing module ...
Original post by TenOfThem
I find it useful to understand why the algorithms work - have they been fully explained or are you being asked to blindly follow them

Blindly follow:/
Original post by TeeEm
D1 is an amazing module ...

Haha am I sensing sarcasm?:tongue:
Reply 6
Haha am I sensing sarcasm?:tongue:

I belong to the sarcasm society after all...
Blindly follow:/

Try reading them through thinking about their purpose

Try to see how they fit the questions and solve the problems

Is there anything in particular that you are struggling with?
Try reading them through thinking about their purpose

Try to see how they fit the questions and solve the problems

Is there anything in particular that you are struggling with?

The biggest problem I find is that it just doesn't come to me straight away sort of like C1 and C2 do. We did a test today and it was a nightmare for me and I feel I would be lucky to get half marks on this paper.

We are yet to finish all the topics in D1 but 2 that I can think off the top of my head that are an annoyance are Kruskals and Matchings. Specifically Kruskals.
Specifically Kruskals.

What is the issue with Kruskals?
The biggest problem I find is that it just doesn't come to me straight away sort of like C1 and C2 do. We did a test today and it was a nightmare for me and I feel I would be lucky to get half marks on this paper.

We are yet to finish all the topics in D1 but 2 that I can think off the top of my head that are an annoyance are Kruskals and Matchings. Specifically Kruskals.

When you say Kruskals, do you mean how it differs from Primms, or just how to perform the algorithm in general (and why it works)?
Reply 11

Hi there, I am currently self-studying D1 as part of an add further maths module and I can firmly say that D1 is dull and tedious as ****. I can feel your pain. I recommend looking at www.examsolutions.co.uk / hegartymaths on youtube to go through particular topics. Also past papers + questions from the book are vital for learning the stuff. I'm sure you'll be fine after a few hours of exercises :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What is the issue with Kruskals?

Ok so I just took some random example from the internet, so I can hopefully explain my problems.

Ok so from what I understand the first step is to write the lengths between each pair of nodes.

So AB = 3 BC = 5 CD = 4 CF = 6 FD = 8 ED = 2 EF = 5 AF = 7 BF = 8 AE = 4

Then I believe I start with the smallest value which in this case would be ED and from here I believe I keep picking the shortest route after it but what confuses me is when I don't accept certain routes cause they cause a cycle. I know it sounds really basic but I just don't understand it.

I believe I keep picking the shortest route after it but what confuses me is when I don't accept certain routes cause they cause a cycle. I know it sounds really basic but I just don't understand it.

There are a set of definitions that you need to know

One of them is a Spanning Tree

BTW I am not sure why you are writing down the numbers - you can see them on the graph
(edited 9 years ago)
Haha D1 has gotta be the easiest module there is, at least for me :biggrin:
It's one of those which people do great or fail miseraly at.
It must be really tough for you if you're finding it hard as there aren't many resources to learn D1 from, unlike other modules.

Haha D1.. my friend who is excellent in core maths, had As everywhere got a U in D1 hahah, and others who had lower grades in the cores had As in D1.

Don't see what can possibly be hard in D1, I mean.. the maths is primary school level.
Original post by Placeboo123
Haha D1 has gotta be the easiest module there is, at least for me :biggrin:
It's one of those which people do great or fail miseraly at.
It must be really tough for you if you're finding it hard as there aren't many resources to learn D1 from, unlike other modules.

Haha D1.. my friend who is excellent in core maths, had As everywhere got a U in D1 hahah, and others who had lower grades in the cores had As in D1.

Don't see what can possibly be hard in D1, I mean.. the maths is primary school level.

That's what the most frustrating thing is, I know that the maths isn't actually hard so i'm not too sure why I am finding it difficult:frown:

I find it interesting how people get A's in the other modules but a low grade in D1 even though it should be the easiest they do.
There are a set of definitions that you need to know

One of them is a Spanning Tree

BTW I am not sure why you are writing down the numbers - you can see them on the graph

Oh sorry I was just trying to walk through what my mindset would be for a Kruskal question, it's just i've been told that I have to label it like that every time I do a question.
Oh sorry I was just trying to walk through what my mindset would be for a Kruskal question, it's just i've been told that I have to label it like that every time I do a question.

You should list edges in the order in which you choose them but there is no reason to write them down at the start of the lesson unless you feel that it will help you
That's what the most frustrating thing is, I know that the maths isn't actually hard so i'm not too sure why I am finding it difficult:frown:

I find it interesting how people get A's in the other modules but a low grade in D1 even though it should be the easiest they do.

Yeah haha my friend has got like 95 +- in core 1/2 and then like 27 UMS in D1 hueheuhe
There's lots of those who get a c grades in their other modules and As in D1 :biggrin:
Gotta love D1! <3
Btw D2 is the biggest jump between the modules there is, I wouldn't advise you on doing that, although you'll most likely do S1 next year.
Original post by Placeboo123
Yeah haha my friend has got like 95 +- in core 1/2 and then like 27 UMS in D1 hueheuhe
There's lots of those who get a c grades in their other modules and As in D1 :biggrin:
Gotta love D1! <3
Btw D2 is the biggest jump between the modules there is, I wouldn't advise you on doing that, although you'll most likely do S1 next year.

Wow I wouldn't of guessed that about D2 I would of thought it would be something like M1 to M2 maybe :redface:

And I'm doing M1 next year not allowed to do S1 haha, but i'm looking forward to doing M1. A lot of my mates talk about it being 'Very challenging' but it looks incredibly interesting:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest