The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Let the lady wear a veil. What's the problem, so long as she promises to speak up? I had a girl who dressed this way everyday in my driver's ed class, I never had a problem with understanding her. She's only a teacher's assistant. The rare student who can't understand her can go to the teacher. Why's everyone making such a big deal? The school knew what she was like when they hired her, didn't they?
Reply 81
Aeris
The school knew what she was like when they hired her, didn't they?

We cant assume that though, can we! And dont forget that she didnt wear a veil for her interview and she admitted she had removed it before on several ocassions, yet on this ocassion when the school asked her to remove it, she wouldnt??!! She sounds very unpredictable to me!

Also the problem of students not understanding her must have been considered to be serious by the school if they asked her to remove the veil.
Reply 82
I think its a shame that a woman feels the need to cover up her whether its to do with religion or not.

I personally would not speak to someone if I could not see their face and If I was a kid in her class I would ask to be removed to another class.
Reply 83
nik87
your example is ridiculous though. most people accept the veil as a relgious choice whereas a balaclava is just stupid. you CAN take that off if you wish. therefore your argument doesnt hold. why should we make people conform to 'our' standards and vice versa?

Thanks for the neg rep by the way, I notice you didnt leave your name yet you were happy enough earlier in the thread to slag people off who neg repped you and werent 'brave' enough to leave their name!

Not that it matters anyway, you should know that as a sub I can see who reps me :rolleyes:
Reply 84
jojo72
Get your facts right
1) She wasn't told her int was with a man so she didn't wear a veil

I'd like to know why she wasn't wearing one in the first place if she thinks it's so mandatory. Did she manage to go from her home to the school and into the interview room without encountering a single man?

To me I get the feeling that she knew the school wouldn't be happy with a teacher wearing a veil and went to the interview without one so they would accept her and then decided to kick up a fuss afterwards.
Reply 85
personally in an ideal world I would prefer to speak to somebody face to face with no cover in the way be that a veil, sunglasses, hat, balaclava or whatever. Having said that I appreciate that some religions require a person to wear a veil, or head scarf (my apologies for not remembering the correct name) in certain conditions. My problem with this case is that the woman

a) removed it for interview-whether or not she knew she was being interviewed by a man makes no difference in my opinion. The fact she would then not remove it infront of a class is hypocritical

b) she was a language teaching assistant to children and one of the fundemental ways children learn anything let alone language is by facial expressions

In this case the woman is question's unwillingness to remove the veil in the presence of children was inappropriate in relation to her job and therefore she was right to be repremanded. In most other situations though I would have no problem with anybody expressing their religion however they might chose to do so.

Latest

Trending

Trending