The Student Room Group

kicked out of a course at the end of year 12

I'm in college right now and I'm just wondering how bad do you have to be to get kicked out of your current subject at the end of year 12? For one of my classes I get all my assignments done in time with a lot of effort and I'm very active in class as well but test wise I'm not too good - mainly getting C's, D's and occasional B's. So do you think that they will kick me out of the course at the end of year 12 or not?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DRIPDRIP9463
I'm in college right now and I'm just wondering how bad do you have to be to get kicked out of your current subject at the end of year 12? For one of my classes I get all my assignments done in time with a lot of effort and I'm very active in class as well but test wise I'm not too good - mainly getting C's, D's and occasional B's. So do you think that they will kick me out of the course at the end of year 12 or not?

It's illegal to stop you continuing ...

They can't do that and even if they did they'd need to at least direct you to where else you could study instead
Original post by Muttley79
It's illegal to stop you continuing ...

citation required

Don’t worry they can’t. I know a person at my school who was supposed to be in year 13 this year, but she’s in year 12, not sure why but schools always have something in place for when this happens.
also if you are actively listening and doing work then don’t worry because your effort will show through in the end.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by InArduisFouette
citation required

We aren't in the US! I've posted this a number of times

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/aug/29/grammar-school-unlawfully-threw-out-students-who-failed-to-get-top-grades

"In sixth form (Years 12 and 13) a student can, as in other years, be excluded for bad behaviour. They cannot be asked to leave because of poor exam results or for academic reasons (or poor attendance).

To decide if a student can move onto A Levels, schools and colleges often put in place minimum grades for GCSEs. This reduces access to those who achieved better grades in Year 11. This is lawful.

For those who are accepted to do A levels, there is then no lawful way to force them out half way through or indeed once they have started."

https://www.simpsonmillar.co.uk/media/education-law/year-12-students-asked-to-leave-because-of-exam-results/

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/aug/29/grammar-school-unlawfully-threw-out-students-who-failed-to-get-top-grades

"In sixth form (Years 12 and 13) a student can, as in other years, be excluded for bad behaviour. They cannot be asked to leave because of poor exam results or for academic reasons (or poor attendance).

To decide if a student can move onto A Levels, schools and colleges often put in place minimum grades for GCSEs. This reduces access to those who achieved better grades in Year 11. This is lawful.

For those who are accepted to do A levels, there is then no lawful way to force them out half way through or indeed once they have started."

https://www.simpsonmillar.co.uk/media/education-law/year-12-students-asked-to-leave-because-of-exam-results/

I see you have failed to provide an adequate reference for your assertion instead relying on a dated journalistic piece and the advertising of a Solicitor rather than providing a definite legal citation whether Statute, or case law or other compelling peer reviewed literature.

You would be laughed out of the room in any HE setting with such flimsy assrtions, the possible execpetion would be one of Kathleen Srtocks Lectures as before her flounce she was one of the most under-published Chair holders in the known world
(edited 1 year ago)
i see

DId you actually read the article? It tells you the facts - you cannot stop children progressing to Year 13 for academic reasons.

https://www.vwv.co.uk/news-and-events/blog/academies-law-brief/can-you-remove-sixth-form-pupils-from-your-school
(edited 1 year ago)
DId you actually read the article? It tells you the facts - you cannot stop children progressing to Year 13 for academic reasons.

https://www.vwv.co.uk/news-and-events/blog/academies-law-brief/can-you-remove-sixth-form-pupils-from-your-school

I see that you have still not provided a properly reference peer reviewed piece of literature, a citation of case law or the Statute law in question, furthermore , instead you provide yet more advertising from Lawyers , whose target market are are cash rich helicopter parents who are likely to try implausible courses of action

It unlikely they would kick you out. Its worth being proactive at this stage and speak to your teach for advice on consistency. Even little things like reading up on a new subject before you learn it in class can make an improvement. Speak to your teacher first and go from there.
I see that you are still unable to to provide a properly reference peer reviewed piece of literature, a citation of case law or the Statute law in question, furthermore , rather than admitting y this you provide yet more advertising from Lawyers , whose target market are are cash rich helicopter parents who are likely to try implausible courses of action

who spat in your pompous coffee?
I see t

So you didn't read Te Guatdian article:

A DfE spokesperson said: “Students enrolled in a sixth form cannot be removed because of academic ability. The law is clear on this and we expect all schools to follow it. We have reminded headteachers of their responsibility on this point.”
So you didn't read Te Guatdian article:

A DfE spokesperson said: “Students enrolled in a sixth form cannot be removed because of academic ability. The law is clear on this and we expect all schools to follow it. We have reminded headteachers of their responsibility on this point.”

i see you are still unable to provide an actual reference for this.

given some of the assertions of law made by this government and by government departments which have bene proven to be without basis ...
(edited 1 year ago)
i see you are still unable to provide an actual reference for this.

given some of the assertions of law made by this government and by government departments which have bene proven to be without basis ...

The DfE is the expert here - clearly there's a need for you to understand its role. Please just stop
Reply 14

Can you help me I’m in a similar situation?
Reply 15
Original post by Isiso
Can you help me I’m in a similar situation?

What have they said? Have you handed in work and had good attendance?
Reply 16

Is this actually true? Bro my school has been kicking people out of the course in year 12 and refusing for them to progress onto year 13 if they got have failed their AS-level exams Yk the external ones that the exam board marks for us. I know many students in my year group who wasn’t allowed to progress onto year 13 even though they wanted to. Some students were offered alternative routes like to do BTEC or to repeat the year with different subjects. While others were told they would have to drop an A-level Subject. Can you tell me anywheres I can report my school or something for this if they shouldn’t be doing this…
Original post by katnix
Is this actually true? Bro my school has been kicking people out of the course in year 12 and refusing for them to progress onto year 13 if they got have failed their AS-level exams Yk the external ones that the exam board marks for us. I know many students in my year group who wasn’t allowed to progress onto year 13 even though they wanted to. Some students were offered alternative routes like to do BTEC or to repeat the year with different subjects. While others were told they would have to drop an A-level Subject. Can you tell me anywheres I can report my school or something for this if they shouldn’t be doing this…

DfE and Ofsted :smile:
Reply 18
hi i am going through this same problem where i am being denied to complete my course at college and i ma really struggling as i have no other options.
Reply 19
Original post by olaksjsns
hi i am going through this same problem where i am being denied to complete my course at college and i ma really struggling as i have no other options.

Me too man

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending