The Student Room Group

As biology issue report ideas

Hello all,

I'm trying to think up a possible problem/issue for my issue report which involves identifying a problem, discussing a solution and then two alternatives (there is more to it I'm just stating the basics ).
I'm interested in stem cells, tissue engineering and genetic engineering and similar areas. I don't necessarily want someone to give me a question, I just need help with finding a problem within the topic area.

Edit: I am also keen to identify an issue in which bioprinting could be used as a solution
(edited 9 years ago)
Edexcel Biology per chance? Either way I did the same thing. Topics we had included: Badger culling (I got very opinionated), red and grey squirrel competition and the disappearance of bees to name a few (this was last year so I can't remember many).

I'm afraid we weren't "allowed" (welcome to my wonderful sixth form) to do anything outside of an issue that affects either animals or insects (but the organism as a whole not on a molecular level) so I can't really help by giving examples of genetics/stem cells topics. All I know if for mine the research, studies and implications were plentiful.

Possibly look at the treatment of a medical condition with stem cells or by trying to modify genetics. I think there's something to do with CF where an inhaler or something similar is used and it can correct the cells in the lungs temporarily. That's all I can think of I'm afraid, but good luck to you! :biggrin:
Original post by ThePhoenixLament
Edexcel Biology per chance? Either way I did the same thing. Topics we had included: Badger culling (I got very opinionated), red and grey squirrel competition and the disappearance of bees to name a few (this was last year so I can't remember many).

I'm afraid we weren't "allowed" (welcome to my wonderful sixth form) to do anything outside of an issue that affects either animals or insects (but the organism as a whole not on a molecular level) so I can't really help by giving examples of genetics/stem cells topics. All I know if for mine the research, studies and implications were plentiful.

Possibly look at the treatment of a medical condition with stem cells or by trying to modify genetics. I think there's something to do with CF where an inhaler or something similar is used and it can correct the cells in the lungs temporarily. That's all I can think of I'm afraid, but good luck to you! :biggrin:

Hiya, thanks for the ideas! We have been told not to do anything CF related which is rather annoying 😩
Reply 3
does anyone have any layout tips ?
Make sure that whatever you choose has data on the solution! Otherwise you spend ages writing about the problem....all very interesting, but then you meet a dead end. We were told to do something like a disease for which you could take a pill.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zoologist
Make sure that whatever you choose has data on the solution! Otherwise you spend ages writing about the problem....all very interesting, but then you meet a dead end. We were told to do something like a disease for which you could take a pill.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the tips:smile: I'm struggling to find something that has plenty of data and that I'm interested in:frown: I've been looking at full thickness burns: skin grafts and other reconstruction methods but I'm worried that I'm going to hit a dead end:K:
I did mine on parkinsons
Has TONS of data and it is interesting because there isn't a cure for it but many many treatments and they're trying to find ways to cure it using stem cells
Would definitely suggest this
Got an A as well :smile:
Original post by tealover96
I did mine on parkinsons
Has TONS of data and it is interesting because there isn't a cure for it but many many treatments and they're trying to find ways to cure it using stem cells
Would definitely suggest this
Got an A as well :smile:

Nice one!:cool: I don't know how to create a question, I don't want to be too vague or too specific:s-smilie: do you have any extra tips?
Original post by alimilkshake
Nice one!:cool: I don't know how to create a question, I don't want to be too vague or too specific:s-smilie: do you have any extra tips?

Just looked back at mine (need to re-read it for my interview as I put it in my PS) and I don't seem to have a question...mines starts straight out with the problem;
The problem - Parkinsons' disease is on the rise

Here's my structure:
I have a whole page talking about this problem and giving evidence
Then I introduced my main solution which is Levodopa (drug)
This solution has to be evaluated well talking about implications, side effects, ethical/economical issues, risks and benefits
The introduce 3 other solutions
Remember to evaluate some sources really well (I just did them in text boxes next to the source)
Finally bibliography
Original post by tealover96
Just looked back at mine (need to re-read it for my interview as I put it in my PS) and I don't seem to have a question...mines starts straight out with the problem;
The problem - Parkinsons' disease is on the rise

Here's my structure:
I have a whole page talking about this problem and giving evidence
Then I introduced my main solution which is Levodopa (drug)
This solution has to be evaluated well talking about implications, side effects, ethical/economical issues, risks and benefits
The introduce 3 other solutions
Remember to evaluate some sources really well (I just did them in text boxes next to the source)
Finally bibliography

Thank you so much, this is really helpful! :rolleyes:
Hey, I did mine on cluster headaches and neurostimulation. Our school was strict in that we weren't allowed to do topics that were in the SNAB Edexcel textbook (so cystic fibrosis and the other one which I can't remember lol) so I'm not sure why you're school is forcing you to do something on CF.
Original post by orphan_black
Hey, I did mine on cluster headaches and neurostimulation. Our school was strict in that we weren't allowed to do topics that were in the SNAB Edexcel textbook (so cystic fibrosis and the other one which I can't remember lol) so I'm not sure why you're school is forcing you to do something on CF.

We have been told NOT to do anything on CF, I believe I said this earlier
I think it's easier to do a disease and a drug used to treat it- there's lots of data available
Reply 13
Hello all,

I'm trying to think up a possible problem/issue for my issue report which involves identifying a problem, discussing a solution and then two alternatives (there is more to it I'm just stating the basics ).
I'm interested in stem cells, tissue engineering and genetic engineering and similar areas. I don't necessarily want someone to give me a question, I just need help with finding a problem within the topic area.

Edit: I am also keen to identify an issue in which bioprinting could be used as a solution

problems could be reduced genetic variation with GE organisms. also storage of stem cells is an issue (there were twins that died recently in great ormond street, thought to be due to problems with storage. the development of stem cells from self-skin cells is an interesting area, means you dont need a close match from e.g. a sibling
Original post by daisychain_
I think it's easier to do a disease and a drug used to treat it- there's lots of data available

I'll think I'll do that, otherwise I'd be wasting time trying to find data
We have been told NOT to do anything on CF, I believe I said this earlier

Oh my apologies, must've misread that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending