The Student Room Group

Anyone else's mental health get worse at Christmas?

I mean, at first I thought it was coincidence but now it's the third year in a row that my already struggling mental health has been worse at Christmas. I have been feeling stronger recently but the season seems to make my depression come back with anxiety in tow.

I don't know whether it's all the events that are going on, all the peoplei have to see and all the pressure that surrounds it all but I really wish I could hibernate from Christmas eve to Jan 2nd. I find it sad because I used to love this time of year, now it makes me feel really bad.

Anyone else like this? Anyone know what to do about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Yes, sadly. It's called holiday depression and many many people feel the same.

I somehow have the feeling that it has to do with the pressure one puts on to oneself during Christmas. Like trying to make the Christmas holidays as perfect as one asked them in memory from the past.

But don't give up, this time will pass. It might help you to plan a couple of weeks before Christmas. For instance you could arrange to watch some of your favorite movies are a couple of great books that you really love. Or simply that you try not to argue with people that you usually argued during Christmas time. The most important of all don't pressure yourself, and don't try to make everything perfect. Also, it could be beneficial to take long walks or do some activity outside.
Well personally I love Xmas :smile:. But sometimes it can be really stressful. Ask :santa2:. Maybe it could help to ban all presents and fancy food every couple of years and just sit, talk and sing together. Here, this is for you. :teddy: Merry Xmas.
Reply 3
It can be really stressful and probably makes people more depressed. Even with all the good fun and memories, I'd say most adults will not enjoy a lot of the christmas holidays because it can get hard, especially as it can bring to light certain family tensions.

Personally, I've felt a bit worse the past few days but I think it's down to drinking alcohol which has had a reverse effect on my antidepressants (obviously). I've had one glass today then stopped myself, and as of about half an hour ago suddenly feel happier again finally.
The weather is horrible, there's loads to do, it's not the same as it was when you were younger because you have to do much more work to make things enjoyable..

Also - everyone seems to be happy, you feel as though you should be happy, and if your MH isn't great why should your illness disappear just because it's Christmas?

You probably struggle as well with the fact that you have very happy memories of Christmas, and find it hard to cope that it isn't as magical or as exciting. Or if you remember it being the happiest time of year, you may struggle that you're not happy as you used to be. This is something that everyone has to go through as they get older, but MH problems exacerbate it somewhat.

Most people manage to find things that they enjoy about it. For example, I now know that I won't get thousands of presents that I spend the whole year being excited about (though I do get very spoiled) and I know I will usually be able to get to sleep on Christmas Eve, when in the past it would have taken me hours and I'd have been staring at my alarm clock willing it to go faster so I could get up.

Christmas as a child is the best feeling most of us will ever experience, and it's hard to adapt when that goes. But once you do adapt, you learn that are lots of good things still. For example I love seeing all of my family, watching rubbish on TV, eating various turkey dishes for a week, seeing other people enjoy gifts that I have got for them.

Your MH is no worse at this time of year, but the emotion of it may make it feel worse.. If that makes sense.
Reply 5
I don't think it gets worse as such, but IMO it slaps a heavy dose of guilt on top of anything else bad you might be feeling - seeing everyone (especially on social media) having such a wonderful time and feeling that a) you should be feeling good too, and b) that by feeling depressed you're bringing down everyone else's holidays, is not conducive to a happy frame of mind if you're already suffering.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
The weather is horrible, there's loads to do, it's not the same as it was when you were younger because you have to do much more work to make things enjoyable..

Also - everyone seems to be happy, you feel as though you should be happy, and if your MH isn't great why should your illness disappear just because it's Christmas?

You probably struggle as well with the fact that you have very happy memories of Christmas, and find it hard to cope that it isn't as magical or as exciting. Or if you remember it being the happiest time of year, you may struggle that you're not happy as you used to be. This is something that everyone has to go through as they get older, but MH problems exacerbate it somewhat.

Most people manage to find things that they enjoy about it. For example, I now know that I won't get thousands of presents that I spend the whole year being excited about (though I do get very spoiled) and I know I will usually be able to get to sleep on Christmas Eve, when in the past it would have taken me hours and I'd have been staring at my alarm clock willing it to go faster so I could get up.

Christmas as a child is the best feeling most of us will ever experience, and it's hard to adapt when that goes. But once you do adapt, you learn that are lots of good things still. For example I love seeing all of my family, watching rubbish on TV, eating various turkey dishes for a week, seeing other people enjoy gifts that I have got for them.

Your MH is no worse at this time of year, but the emotion of it may make it feel worse.. If that makes sense.

What this person said.
Original post by Airfairy
I mean, at first I thought it was coincidence but now it's the third year in a row that my already struggling mental health has been worse at Christmas. I have been feeling stronger recently but the season seems to make my depression come back with anxiety in tow.

I don't know whether it's all the events that are going on, all the peoplei have to see and all the pressure that surrounds it all but I really wish I could hibernate from Christmas eve to Jan 2nd. I find it sad because I used to love this time of year, now it makes me feel really bad.

Anyone else like this? Anyone know what to do about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you considered seasonal affective disorder?
Reply 8
I was like this last year when my panic disorder was at its worst. My panics were that bad I couldn't sit with my family for Christmas dinner, I sat up in my mum's room with my bf eating it. I couldn't even sit downstairs with them for more than ten mins at a time with them after dinner. They were all understanding but it made me realise how bad I had got and that I needed to get better. Thankfully this year I'm a totally different person from them.

I can definitely understand why some people feel worse at this time of year. It can be so stressful having to visit family when you aren't in the mood and then new year can be depressing if you aren't hopeful you will have a good upcoming year. The weather and lack of daylight doesn't help at this time of year either when it comes to improving your mood.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Hi
I think this is pretty common,yes - a lot of the stress and anxiety I get is probably put on by myself, as well as not being able to talk about it with most people, there is also definitely a pressure to enjoy this time of year, as after it has passed it will be back to a more boring life for me, resulting in me feeling low...
I really haven't been able to get as much done as I should
One thing I find helps is exercise (when I can get myself to) - even just a short walk or doing some stretching in the house
Just reading that I'm not the only one has made me feel a bit better :smile:
I hope things go well for you all
Reply 10
I also find Christmas a hard time, but more so with New Year. Everyone is in such good spirits and I find it hard to be optimistic about the future, but everyone still expects you to be happy. I struggle to keep my emotions in check, particularly if drinking.

Quick Reply

Latest