Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jirapat121)
    i got 3.2D
    I also got 3.2D..

Edit: Need to get -0.8 from -4 so +3.2D, think..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Gerrow)
    The answer to the first question was negative (the sign was already on the paper)
    I was 4.8 if you put u as negative and 3.2 if you put it as positive. I tried both and guessed 3.2 because both measurements were on the same side of the lens but i really don't know...

ReputationRep:
    so it's 3.2 right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LJflowrie)
    I was 4.8 if you put u as negative and 3.2 if you put it as positive. I tried both and guessed 3.2 because both measurements were on the same side of the lens but i really don't know...
    I thought it was negative because when you worked it out in the question above, there was a negative sign on the answer already?

ReputationRep:
    what did anyone get for the 2, 3 markers on alloys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SheLikeTheMango)
    I thought it was negative because when you worked it out in the question above, there was a negative sign on the answer already?
    It probably was to be honest, hopefully i might get one method mark? I was rushing the first page because our invigilators hadn't given us formulae booklets before they started the exam so i didn't have one for the first 5 minutes which was really annoying...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Gerrow)
    I got 4.8, but don't think I did very well this year!
    I got the same but looking back i think the answer was something negative

ReputationRep:
    Did everyone think it was reasonably hard then? Any ideas on grade boundaries?

ReputationRep:
    I had 4.8 because the negative becomes positive on the other side. I put A for cable and D for crumple zone because it had a large plastic zone and a low youngs modulus, I thought the other plastic alloy would be to stiff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrPenguinPerson)
    Was that A for the first and D for the second? If so I think I got the same
    don't you have to talk about the microstructure of the materials? about dislocations and sliip ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jirapat121)
    don't you have to talk about the microstructure of the materials? about dislocations and sliip ?
    Yeah, i talked about how the alloy would pin the dislocations in place and things like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrPenguinPerson)
    Was that A for the first and D for the second? If so I think I got the same
    yeah it was

ReputationRep:
    I did DAB for the materials. I panicked during the paper and did not properly talk about microstructure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adem192)
    Yeah, i talked about how the alloy would pin the dislocations in place and things like that.
    Yeah it said also to state a reason why you picked it based on the graph and why the material acts this way from the microstructure

ReputationRep:
    The question about the bird frequency was so weird, I don't understand what do they mean by aspects?!?

ReputationRep:
    Loved that potato question, so glad it came up - it was about the only thing I actually revised!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GabrielSmith1998)
    I did DAB for the materials. I panicked during the paper and did not properly talk about microstructure.
    I didn't talk about microstructure either. I saw that it was 3 marks so i assumed 1 for the choice of alloy and 2 for explaining why (young's modulus, stress, stain, plastic region) so if microstructure is needed its probably only worth 1 mark for each (hopefully anyway)

ReputationRep:
    That was the WORST paper. That's coming from a person who found last year's fine. **** YOU OCR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zallin98)
    Did everyone think it was reasonably hard then? Any ideas on grade boundaries?
    Defo between 40-45 for an A. Would be surprised if its was higher than 46 or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LJflowrie)
    I didn't talk about microstructure either. I saw that it was 3 marks so i assumed 1 for the choice of alloy and 2 for explaining why (young's modulus, stress, stain, plastic region) so if microstructure is needed its probably only worth 1 mark for each (hopefully anyway)
    It's 1 mark for correct choice.
    1 mark for explaining why it is good for this application
    1 mark for explaining the microstructure

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.