The Student Room Group

Old Higher Modern Studies - 2014 to 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
In the 2009 paper, there was a fairly unique question for China asking about how economic freedoms has led to less demand for political reform. I reckon if I had done the exam in 2009, I would have really struggled with the question.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any less well-known sections of the course for the topics, or areas that people tend to overlook that could be asked about in the exam?
Original post by Topo15
In the 2009 paper, there was a fairly unique question for China asking about how economic freedoms has led to less demand for political reform. I reckon if I had done the exam in 2009, I would have really struggled with the question.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any less well-known sections of the course for the topics, or areas that people tend to overlook that could be asked about in the exam?

They could technically ask about a lot of weird stuff. For example about US state and local government specifically, and they could ask about specific elections like "what does the 2014 European Parliament election tell us about voting behaviour?". They know no-one is going to answer these questions well so they avoid them but sometimes weird stuff slips through and it probably just leads to a lower grade boundary.
Reply 82
Original post by teshigahara
They could technically ask about a lot of weird stuff. For example about US state and local government specifically, and they could ask about specific elections like "what does the 2014 European Parliament election tell us about voting behaviour?". They know no-one is going to answer these questions well so they avoid them but sometimes weird stuff slips through and it probably just leads to a lower grade boundary.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. For most of those topics there's a limited amount of what you could really talk about as well, so it doesn't really seem to be a great test of your knowledge.
Reply 83
Original post by BB00
Old Higher here. Does anyone think any Electoral system questions may pop up? My teacher has predicted the essay q's for this year, and he seems to get them right almost every year. But i cant put my trust into him as it's the last year of the old higher which means the SQA might pull a couple of tricks out their sleeves, i.e. that awful old higher (and new) maths paper. Any help, will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Im hoping not, I'm focusing on voting behaviour as it hasn't come up since 2012 does your teacher think FPTP will come up?
Original post by BB00
Old Higher here. Does anyone think any Electoral system questions may pop up? My teacher has predicted the essay q's for this year, and he seems to get them right almost every year. But i cant put my trust into him as it's the last year of the old higher which means the SQA might pull a couple of tricks out their sleeves, i.e. that awful old higher (and new) maths paper. Any help, will be much appreciated. Thank you.

my teacher seems to think that voting behaviour will almost definitely come up so I'm focusing on that. But I'm still going to look over systems just in case
Does anyone think welfare state will come up in wealth & health? It doesn't come up very often and came up last year so I'm hoping it won't
Reply 86
Old Higher Doing USA

does anyone think Powers of the president or the american dream will come up?
need an a for conditional getting worried
Reply 87
Original post by kwar16
Does anyone think welfare state will come up in wealth & health? It doesn't come up very often and came up last year so I'm hoping it won't

Don't think it will it came up last year so unliekly i think it will be lifestyle effecting health and government attempts to tackle wealth
Original post by cardo01
Don't think it will it came up last year so unliekly i think it will be lifestyle effecting health and government attempts to tackle wealth

Yeah that sounds pretty likely
Reply 89
Original post by kwar16
Yeah that sounds pretty likely

what else are people predicting will come up?
Original post by cardo01
what else are people predicting will come up?

voting behaviour
Original post by Ed2015
I posted some advice on page 1 about paper 2 :smile:
What do you mean backbench mps? Or is is that not devolved decision making

Posted from TSR Mobile

its decision making in central government
How many essays is everyone learning for each topic? Is 4 enough?
Can anyone please give an essay for this question or even a couple of points for this essay, anything would help. Thanks
To what extent does the welfare state still meet its original aims?

My teacher also believes the voting behavior will come up, she also thinks an "incomes impact on health" question will come up

im guessing for china its going to be an opposing the ccp question but who knows they could pull a random question considering physics and maths this year ;(
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by steve909
Can anyone please give an essay for this question or even a couple of points for this essay, anything would help. Thanks

My teacher also believes the voting behavior will come up, she also thinks an "incomes impact on health" question will come up

im guessing for china its going to be an opposing the ccp question but who knows they could pull a random question considering physics and maths this year ;(

Does anyone have an essay for links between income and health?
Reply 95
Original post by asdfgkk1836
Does anyone have an essay for links between income and health?

One was posted on page 4 that covered the link between lifestyle and health, it's pretty much the same essay.
Original post by steve909

slightly different questions but still the main points :smile:
Does anyone have corrupt / kleptocratic government examples or stats for Africa ? Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you! Anyone have any key points for 'Critcally examine the view that the government, not individuals should be responsible for healthcare and welfare provision.' ? X
Does anyone have an essay on the government's policies to tackle poverty?? would be reallyyy appreciated, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending